The Downward Spiral of Fight Club

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
OK, so is "fantasy score" an actual term, or is this a "p*$$y on the chain wax" kind of thing? I'm confused about that. I wasn't suggesting that this was a "Dark Side of Oz" situation. I have tried, a couple of times, from the opening credits to the intro of Tyler. It might work if started during the beating by Lou. Those punches sound a lot like the opening of Mr. Self Destruct, and there is more action in that part of the film. (But I haven't tried it yet).

My suggestion for that is to play NIN's Year Zero as soon as the text begins in Metropolis, it's kind of amazing.

Pink Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond also matches up with The Animatrix Second Rennaisance part 1 (if you let the song play for about 2:08 and then start the video).

Those are a few I've found. Perhaps it would be a topic worthy of it's own thread.

Back to the article, I thought of another comparison after I had submitted it. The first verse of Closer is "You let me violate you. You let me desecrate you. You let me penetrate you. You let me complicate you." This could very easily be seen from Jack's perspective when infiltrating support groups.

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
Velventian said:
And trent used to be someone who walked the talk but then we went on and said thats the end for him, i still have my "Wave Goodbye" shirt from that tour, and whoopsy 2 years later he´s back like nothing happened, only not so good :/
He never said that. He said he was only going to make NIN disappear for a while. I'm pretty sure he toured every year straight from 05 to 09 releasing four albums in that span of time. It was when he was working on two new songs for a greatest hits album he is still obligated to produce for Interscope that he got the inspiration to make Hesitation Marks. (Which is still a good album in its own right)

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
LysanderNemoinis said:
LarsInCharge said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Finally! Someone who can write a really interesting article that's a pleasure to read and very insightful without shoving a ton of their politics down the reader's throat. See Bob, it can be done.
Perhaps because this article had zero to do with anything political, so there was no political opinions to interject?
That doesn't stop people like Bob or any politically correct person from finding a way to put politics into everything. Like how in mentioning there's a third Taken movie, he had to make sure to get in a little PC jab.
I'm obviously brand new to this community, and should perhaps lurk a bit more before adding my two cents, but I did read Bob's review of Gone Girl this morning and he did talk about Fight Club and there was a political charge to his take.

The argument he makes seems solid enough, and I can see why he used Fight Club to demonstrate his point, but LysanderNemoinis makes a good point.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I would expect nothing less from the man who scored the first "Quake" game. And one of the best artists in rock music.
LysanderNemoinis said:
Finally! Someone who can write a really interesting article that's a pleasure to read and very insightful without shoving a ton of their politics down the reader's throat. See Bob, it can be done.
I've seen Ross Lincoln do that to, in his articles that aren't cosplay photo montages. I guess that's why his weekly column's titles "Social Justice Warrior".
Vault101 said:
oh hey! fantasy scoreing! I'm not the only person to ever do this!

NIN actually lends himself really to this...I basically (in my head) matched "Year Zero" with Mass Effect 3 (go listen to vessel and tell me that isn't somone sucumbing to indoctrination/husification)

also a few songs from Linkin Parks Thousands suns (catalyst...huh?..huh?)

oh oh oh oh! and "the great below" (from his album the fragile) IS BIOSHCOK INFINITE BURIAL AT SEA

...this is probably why I like NIN so much

EDIT: AND "THE DAY THE WORLD WENT AWAY" IS A ZOMBIE SOOOOOOOONNNGGG!!!
You guys want to try another movie/album mix? Play Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and Pixar's WALL-E at the same time.
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
As a nearly lifelong NIN fan I have to say this is a well done article, I want to see more of this please. (background: as a nine-year-old I bought one of my first cassette tapes on the basis of "oh that cover looks cool!" It turned out to be NIN's Pretty Hate Machine, thus solidifying my love for all things Nails for life. Oh I was a messed up kid.)

Downward Spiral: Easily one of Trent's best, if not the best, album. I've spent years self-remixing and DJ-style spinning vinyls just this record alone. Beautiful from start to finish, and so very poignant. I felt that Fight Club fits this album quite spectacularly and being a fan of the author, I knew well this guy totally listened to that album. Hell, maybe thats why the twisted nature didn't surprise me all that much, and the movie (give credit to the Dust Brothers for an awesome soundtrack) was just perfect along that tone. I'd love to see if there's a way to re-score the movie with Downward Spiral and/or Further Down the Spiral's remixes.

EDIT: Also got to give a shout out to Trent Reznor as the artist who gets his fans. All his shows are about a fan experience, I've seen 'em three times. Once on the Fragility 2.0 tour, once on the With Teeth tour and lastly at Lights in the Sky. All three were not a concert but a fucking experience to behold. And Trent really connects with his fans, feeds off them and puts on one hell of a show... so unique. Best. Concerts. Ever. And another nod to Trent for releasing The Slip for absolutely free after he split with Interscope, kind of as a fuck you and kind of as a thank you to the fans.
YES! This x 1000000! My brother and I saw them at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA, in August with Soundgarden and they kicked ass! NIN especially put on a helluva show, with all kinds of crazy lighting and video effects. He started with "Copy of a" and did a lot of recent-ish songs and some of Downward Spiral, ending with "Hurt" appropriately enough.

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
Never heard of them, but thanks for the lead. I'll check them out. I had no idea there was a modern Megaman-themed band, and now I know there are at least two!

I grew up in the NES generation, so I have an affinity for the 8 bit sound. Have you heard Pretty Eight Machine? It's a fan made tribute to the first NIN album done entirely with old video game sounds.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Always been a fan of both NIN and Fincher, I never noticed any of this! This was a very interesting read, thank you!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I saw NIN in Melbourne this year, it was an amazing show. They shared the stage with Queens of the Stone Age, I'm wearing my QOTSA shirt now actually.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I was a fan of Trent Reznor all throughout the 90's. I still remember when there were concert fliers that referred to him as the King of Industrial and no one really felt that was inappropriate at the time. It did feel however that after the 90's he seemed to have forgotten how to Industrial. His last album seemed to have shown some sign that he might be starting to remember but he still has a way to go before he releases anything of the caliber of Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, or The Downward Spiral. I'm really rooting for him to get there. He'll I would be happy if he did anything like what he did when he was a member of 1000 Homo DJ's or Pigface.