The Duke is Australia bound (Yep, you heard me).

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/02/duk...ion-unscathed/

Duke Nukem Forever got classified in Australia without a single censor. Join with me in a collective sigh of relief.

However I have to point out that this is the best example of the fail that is Australia's classification system.

Duke Nukem Forever & Bulletstorm: Classified without a hitch.

Left 4 Dead 2 and Fallout 3: Banned.

When you figure it out, please let me know.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Fallout 3 was banned here?
Shit I better hide my GotY copy before the police knock down my door.

Maybe you mean it got censored, and maybe it did, doesn't seem to change the fact that when I shoot super mutants in the head it explodes in a shower of skull fragments and gore.

Do you live in Australia? If you did then you'd realise there isn't that big of a problem. Games that are R rated in the US get released here with MA ratings quite frequently.
The main problem with the lack of an R rating here is that some games that probably should be regulated to older audiences, get released to 15 yr olds. In my experience not that many games get censored (and if you're that distraught about a slight reduction in gore, I'm really sorry) and even fewer get banned.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
fletch_talon said:

Maybe you mean it got censored, and maybe it did, doesn't seem to change the fact that when I shoot super mutants in the head it explodes in a shower of skull fragments and gore.

Do you live in Australia? If you did then you'd realise there isn't that big of a problem. Games that are R rated in the US get released here with MA ratings quite frequently.
The main problem with the lack of an R rating here is that some games that probably should be regulated to older audiences, get released to 15 yr olds. In my experience not that many games get censored (and if you're that distraught about a slight reduction in gore, I'm really sorry) and even fewer get banned.
Fallout 3 WAS banned, until the material was removed and it was resubmitted.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Link brokon

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/02/duke-nukem-gets-through-classification-unscathed/

here it is.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Just saw this. I am amazed. Just proves how broken our classification system really is. Still, I'm not complaining.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
GoddyofAus said:

Duke Nukem Forever got classified in Australia without a single censor. Join with me in a collective sigh of relief.

However I have to point out that this is the best example of the fail that is Australia's classification system.

This is absolutely ridiculous that such a minor issue that can be rectified to the benefit of all Australian's, is so consistently placed on the political back-burner.

Mind you, I can say with certainty (being Australian) that our political system lacks any strong political talent and leadership.

defult

Oct 12, 2009
GoddyofAus said:
fletch_talon said:

Fallout 3 was banned due to med-x originally being morphine after the Australian gov refused it the name was changed in every region. I believe that was the only changed made.

I wonder if duke will be a return to the original game i played when i was a kid

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
GoddyofAus said:

Fallout 3 was refused classification not because of violence, but because of drug references. We get med-x not morphine, Buffout not steriods.

That said, L4D2 was refused because of precisely the same things you can do in Fallout 3 - limb dismemberment.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Trolldor said:
GoddyofAus said:

Fallout 3 was refused classification not because of violence, but because of drug references. We get med-x not morphine, Buffout not steriods.

That said, L4D2 was refused because of precisely the same things you can do in Fallout 3 - limb dismemberment.
There are drug references in DNF, Steroids to be exact.

Scunner

Jan 21, 2009
A point to make is that, while the classification says that the version classified is "ORIGINAL" (as shown on the classification website), this does not necessarily mean it hasn't been cut down in some way. Take Two could have given the classification board a censored version to rate and the board will say it's the original version because that's the first version they've seen.

We could never know we have a censored version until Take Two or Gearbox say something about it.

Canatrix

Feb 10, 2011
I... wait... how... how does that work exactly? I... >_< Ugh, the Australian classification system makes no sense. If you're going to censor one M game, at least take the time to censor them all... or don't do the censoring at all. Make up your mind, OFLC. Please.

It'll at least prevent Yahtzee from raging. Though, on second thought, this might be a bad thing.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
GoddyofAus said:
Trolldor said:
GoddyofAus said:

There are drug references in DNF, Steroids to be exact.
Do you get benefits for taking them?
And, if so, are they satirical?

Corsion

Jan 25, 2010
The Australian Government is retarded. It only makes sense that it's classification board is retarded as well. Sort of seems like the people making these decisions are simply making them on their taste in games, rather than whether it's appropriate or not.

TheSquashedOrange

Feb 8, 2011
I'm from Australia, and yeah, some games do get banned, but the fact of the matter is that the vast amount of games just get bumped down to MA over here, which is kind of ironic when you think about it... Oh well, maybe they're loostening up, but I'm sure we'll be hearing about another ban before too long.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Scunner said:
A point to make is that, while the classification says that the version classified is "ORIGINAL" (as shown on the classification website), this does not necessarily mean it hasn't been cut down in some way. Take Two could have given the classification board a censored version to rate and the board will say it's the original version because that's the first version they've seen.

We could never know we have a censored version until Take Two or Gearbox say something about it.
Or the potential of R18+ coming out in the near future has them being more lenient (the public showed the view they had). It comes down to who reviews the game at the time, it can go either way when a game is up for classification.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
GoddyofAus said:
fletch_talon said:

thats right and I belive it should have been...I can understand and mabye even accept a persons need to kill people and send them exploding into bloody messes, then picking up their heads and putting them on shelves

but taking MORPHINE??? for medicinal perposes?? thats just unacceptable