The Elder Scrolls 6 confirmed for Valenwood?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Relevant reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/4ls6o2/elder_scrolls_vi_to_take_place_in_valenwood/?sort=new
Pic related:

Now the "leak" is over 2 years old, and got thrown out for a number of reasons, I mean 2 years ago they hadn't even announced Fallout 4 properly iirc. But with the latest DLC correlating exactly with the leak's "Nuka World" I think it's worth looking back at.

So what is Project Greenheart? A game I assume. Greenheart is also the name of a city in the province of Valenwood, homeland of the Wood Elves, and as of the events of Skyrim is under the control of the Aldmeri Dominion.
So what do people think of this? Having read the lore, Valenwood seems a bit out of left field for TES 6. I was honestly expecting Hammerfell or High Rock next since they're more human. Also lore-wise Valenwood is full of crazy stuff like noble savage apes that shave themselves to look like elves, and migratory tree cities, in addition to the province being about half as large as Skyrim. If TES:6 is in Valenwood, I think Bethesda will finally have to change game engines to accomodate such weirdness.

Josh123914

Nov 17, 2009
nomotog said:
Strange is good. TES has kind of been playing too safe since it came to consoles
I just worry they'll compromise on some of the weirdness due to hardware limits.

Like those migratory trees? I'd be really disappointed if they contrived a reason for all of them to have come to a halt at the start of the game.

What about the 16 physiological variations of Khajiit? I doubt we'll ever see them, and its imo likely why Bethesda decided after Oblivion to go with Skyrim instead of Elsweyr as they had originally planned.
But Valenwood is a small province. They may be able to do all that I'm skeptical about. A fan favourite on the TES forums is that TES6 will merge Valenwood and Elsweyr as each are about half as large as Skyrim and focus on Dominion occupied areas that way. Posting this thread made me realise how many directions the series could take itself given the plot set-up.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Josh123914 said:
So what do people think of this? Having read the lore, Valenwood seems a bit out of left field for TES 6. I was honestly expecting Hammerfell or High Rock next since they're more human.
Insofar as it's listed separately from "Elder Scrolls 6", I serious doubt it'd be TES 6. It may well be a spinoff, like Redguard or Battlespire. That would probably make a bit more sense- again, assuming it's still being planned, is related, and hasn't been changed or canceled.

Also, the plan is probably to give each province its own game. Now, I know that this is going to blow a great many minds, but the fact that Morrowind was Titled "The Elder Scrolls 3" indicates that it was not, in fact, the first game in the series. Tamriel has nine provinces: High Rock, Hammerfell, Skyrim, Morrowind, Cyrodiil, Alinor, Valenwood, Elsweyr, and Black Marsh. The first five have already had games set specifically in them; it's rather unlikely we're going to see more until the rest have their time in the spotlight.

And even after that, we'll likely get glimpses of Akavir, Pyandonea, and Yokuda. I wouldn't hold my breath for Hammerfell or High Rock anytime soon.

C5H5-NiNO

Aug 16, 2016
If they're smart, and by "smart" I mean have a brain at all, 'Project Greenheart' is their new engine. Fallout 4 really proved that Gamebryo is just too old, and too kludged, and I think a lot of people bought into it, modded it, and they won't do it yet again.

The Witcher 3 really must have sent them a wake-up call. I hope. Even then, they must have had TES 6 in development for years by now, so that's Gamebryo again.

Stemer

Nov 22, 2011
Josh123914 said:
nomotog said:
Strange is good. TES has kind of been playing too safe since it came to consoles
I just worry they'll compromise on some of the weirdness due to hardware limits.

Like those migratory trees? I'd be really disappointed if they contrived a reason for all of them to have come to a halt at the start of the game.

What about the 16 physiological variations of Khajiit? I doubt we'll ever see them, and its imo likely why Bethesda decided after Oblivion to go with Skyrim instead of Elsweyr as they had originally planned.
But Valenwood is a small province. They may be able to do all that I'm skeptical about. A fan favourite on the TES forums is that TES6 will merge Valenwood and Elsweyr as each are about half as large as Skyrim and focus on Dominion occupied areas that way. Posting this thread made me realise how many directions the series could take itself given the plot set-up.
Wouldn't Valenwood & Summerset Isles make more sense if they want to focus on the dominion? IIRC Elsywer is still technically independent only Vallenwood got annexed.
Also I just don't think that we'll ever get a mainline game set in either of the beast race provinces, both of them just sound too weird and hard to sell to people who aren't already pretty invested in the series for a main game. I could maybe see part of Elswyer maybe being the last DLC for a future TES, but we're never going to Black Marsh.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Josh123914 said:
It's not really that big of a problem. Just have some Skyrim Khajiits, some anime catgirls, a few Puss-in-Boots size Khajiits (literally a regular Khajiit with setscale 0.2) and go with the others situationally.

I'm not all that familiar with Elder Scrolls lore, but I think they had moon colonies at some point.

An Arabian Nights style world full of nekos sounds refreshing after so much snow and Vikings.

Josh123914

Nov 17, 2009
Stemer said:
Josh123914 said:
nomotog said:

Wouldn't Valenwood & Summerset Isles make more sense if they want to focus on the dominion? IIRC Elsywer is still technically independent only Vallenwood got annexed.
Also I just don't think that we'll ever get a mainline game set in either of the beast race provinces, both of them just sound too weird and hard to sell to people who aren't already pretty invested in the series for a main game. I could maybe see part of Elswyer maybe being the last DLC for a future TES, but we're never going to Black Marsh.
A Valenwood-Elsweyr merger really only seems feasible to me because most players wouldn't be able to stomach over 75% of NPC interactions being with heavily-accented cat monsters.

Personally I think if they ever do Elsweyr it will be tied in with some other region too. Perhaps Great War 2.0 kicks off and the Imperials are occupying, that would give a good excuse for more races to pile in. Perhaps they toss in Bravil, Lleyawiin and anything between that side of the Niben as well.
http://i.imgur.com/B7rBN.jpg
Take a look at the map of Tamriel. Bethesda have actually been using that map since Morrowind and scaling all games since to that map. Given that Skyrim got complaints for there being 3 caves, barrows or forts within a 20 metre radius at any given time, I think Bethesda will take the opportunity to space TES 6 out a bit more-- something I don't think could be done by taking hypothetically the same amount of content as Skyrim, and jamming it all into a region with quite literally half the surface area.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
*SIGH* So much for hoping for a return to Hammerfell, and my hope to see what Sentinel would look like with current gen tech....

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
We will see, rule of the thumb about new Bestheda is they look at what's popular in the Fantasy Novel/Movie Market and make a game setting off it. They cashed in during the Drizzt craze, they cashed in with LOTR and then they cashed in with Game of Thrones. They are going to look at what's popular for novels and make a game set in that province with plot ripped straight outta it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Probably.

Skyrim was copyrighted like 2 years before they announced it was Skyrim.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
C5H5-NiNO said:
Even then, they must have had TES 6 in development for years by now, so that's Gamebryo again.
Bethesda said a couple months ago that Elder Scrolls VI is not being worked on [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/elder-scrolls-6-not-in-development-right-now/1100-6441274/], and they recently reiterated that [http://www.psu.com/news/30819/The-Elder-Scrolls-6-will-be-made-eventually-but-its-not-in-development]. It sounds like it will come in the future, but it may be far off in the future if they start focusing on remasters, mobile, and new IPs.

Athennesi

Jul 28, 2016
Kibeth41 said:
Would have liked Black Marsh based Argonian game. But this is good too.

I hope they actually put some cool shit into the game, rather than the extremely drab snowy plains of Skyrim and the extremely monotonous Oblivion.

Fallout 4 was an improvement. And they added a lot of verticality to the map which was awesome. Hopefully they can further improve on Valenwood with, as you say, migratory tree cities.
No way...though we'd probably end up with the most hilarious glitches in gaming. Imagine if the whole city started spinning in front of you. :p

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
I'm hoping it's an Elf province. I want more Elf perspectives on the whole Man/Mer ideological divide. The only one that's truly been explored is that of the Dunmer and they're not as judgmental in their view of the creation of Nirn and the punishment of Lorkhan, they view their existence as a punishment they've no choice but to suffer, with Lorkhan being more of a trickster than a malevolent spirit.

The Altmer on the other hand? Holy fuck they're mad about being disconnected from the original spirits, and all their views on it have historically, been tinted the Imperial Propaganda and Bullshit Society (Imperial Geographical Society, if you're a loyalist) because nobody wants to be the guy who brings an Emperor bad news.

If it's Valenwood, the Bosmer being in all but complete thralldom of the Altmer would definitely be hearing some of that hateful perspective on Lorkhan.

That or Hammerfell. The Redguards being beings from a "previous" kalpa and having a completely different perspective on Lorkhan/Shezzar would be a cool new thing to explore.

C5H5-NiNO

Aug 16, 2016
MysticSlayer said:
C5H5-NiNO said:
Even then, they must have had TES 6 in development for years by now, so that's Gamebryo again.
Bethesda said a couple months ago that Elder Scrolls VI is not being worked on [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/elder-scrolls-6-not-in-development-right-now/1100-6441274/], and they recently reiterated that [http://www.psu.com/news/30819/The-Elder-Scrolls-6-will-be-made-eventually-but-its-not-in-development]. It sounds like it will come in the future, but it may be far off in the future if they start focusing on remasters, mobile, and new IPs.
Ok, you seem to know what you're talking about. Oh lord, who knoweth, speak unto me if I am worthy. Will there be a new engine by then, or will TES 6, whenever it comes, be on the old engine?!

*humbles self*

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
If they learn enough lessons from the success of Witcher 3, then maybe I can be convinced to break my oath to stay away from open world Bethesda games. We'll see.