The Elder Scrolls Online Will Have Subscription Fees

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
TiberiusEsuriens said:
prpshrt said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
As the devs have stated, "If you make the game worth it, they'll pay anyways."
Lol, silly devs. They should have been damn sure that their game was worth it before throwing such statements around. The game isn't. Played the beta, and its boring as all hell.
You took the quote out of context. The quote is from Jeremy Gaffney about WildStar (as I mentioned RIGHT NEXT TO THE ORIGINAL QUOTE).

I don't know about ESO, but barely anyone has played WS Closed Beta (it's currently not even active, and the few who played it are under NDA). He's not talking about scamming people from their money, either. Lets say that ESO achieves their closed world that feels complete without micro transactions. Even if they do that perfectly, if they don't make it fun then the whole thing is a waste, I agree. Gaffney has been using this as a pillar for his own game WS; any time a system is completed, if people decide it's kinda lame they remake it until it isn't.
Sorry, kinda just skimmed it and saw that quote and got a little carried away. Didn't mean to imply that you agree with that quote either. I played the Beta after all the hype it was given with extremely high expectations considering the quality of the elder scrolls games and it turned out to be a let down. I thought it was kinda dumb that they went and made such statements when a good chunk of people agree that the game isn't worth it.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
CriticKitten said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Lets say that ESO achieves their closed world that feels complete without micro transactions.
Let's not, because they've already confirmed the game will have micro-transactions.

I don't mean to harp on this, but seriously? Are there still people who didn't know about this, who are trying to defend ESO's subscription model with "at least there's no micro-transactions"....even though the news that they would have micro-transactions came out a mere two days after the initial subscription model announcement?

I mean, this is probably the third time I've said as much in this thread, and I know that the Escapist has reported on it. So what's the deal here? Why is it that no one seems to be aware of ESO's payment system, which has been public knowledge for nearly a week now?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127107-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Director-Explains-Opting-For-Subscriptions

Firor said The Elder Scrolls Online is a "world," and Bethesda doesn't want monetization options taking players out of it. "It's like, I go into a dungeon, if I don't have access to the dungeon it pops up a window: you don't have access to this, go buy 50 credits. We didn't want that experience. That's not an Elder Scrolls experience," he told Eurogamer. "We wanted to do monetization outside of the game. So, if I pay for a month at a time, I have 100 percent of the game. I don't have to worry about paying one more cent. I'll never run into a pay gate and I'll be in the world."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127123-The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Will-Have-Microtransactions-Too

"We'll have a shop to buy kind of fun stuff, and services too, like name changes and things like that. But it's not part of the core game," he said. "Anything in the core game is included in the subscription price."

THOSE are the quotes we reference. "Feeling complete without micro transactions" does not mean "no micro transactions." I/they never said NONE, just NONE REQUIRED.

We as a group are aware that they exist, but it's to such a small extent that we just don't care. To me they are so insignificant that I don't just not care, but I barely even acknowledge/notice their presence. ESO could go back on their word, but we don't get butt hurt because of a stupid payment model. If the content is good for the price then who cares? You apparently, but don't get offended on our behalves, BECAUSE WE ARE NOT OFFENDED. To each their own.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
For all of you playing the 15$ for unlimited content card I've heard that they actually plan to include microtransactions anyway,
As for me?

Eh I was interested in it but Im sorry I have GW2 which doesn't charge me monthly if you want to pay monthly whatever floats your boat I guess but personally not touching it and if/when it goes F2P I will have lost any and all interest

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.826219-The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Will-Have-Microtransactions-Too

Here it is the original forum post on the whole microtransactions thing