The enemies you dreaded most

evilengine

Nov 20, 2009
I know everyone and their mum has complained about this, but these guys are straight from the Devil's asshole. Move erratically, fast as shit, come in swarms, poison you with every hit, and pretty damn tough for bugs. I would have forgiven them a little if they couldn't take much damage, but no...

The Towel Boy

Nov 16, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Chryssalid (AKA Purple Zerg fucks):

My first play-through was my squad getting completely decimated by these bastards. They cut through my squad like a hot knife through butter. The death...the horror.......

I've gotten used to how to fight these things in my second play-through but they are still the first things I fire at when they show themselves. I've heard that they LOST powers/abilities between the original and this one. I'd hate to see what this thing looked like earlier...

EDIT: Speak of the devil! Look who shows up as post #3 :)
Yeah, those bastards can go back to the fiery depths of hell. Also those damn nukes with legs- The Sectopods, the death of any hardened squad in the first encounter.

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
Saviordd1 said:

/Thread

Unlike the pussified versions in the new game the originals were absolutely terrifying enemies, especially your first time.
I actually faced a bug in UFO: Enemy Unknown that turned the Chryssalid and Chryssalid zombies invisible (but luckily were informed with "enemies in sight"). Have fun with that...

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
fix-the-spade said:
Cliff Racers.

Fecking Cliff Racers...
This is pretty much how I feel about Draugr in Skyrim.

Anytime I had to go into a dungeon (which was all the time), I'd think to myself "Please, just this once...no more freaking Draugr.

"Just to spare me from the sheer annoyance factor...please let this underground enclosed dwelling be Draugr free.

"Oh look. Coffins. M@#$@#$#$ker!"

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
RejjeN said:
The Chozo Ghosts in Metroid Prime always made me take the shortest route out of that particular room, it wasn't so much their appearance as it was the atmospheric change and the sounds. Not as scary now as they were then, but yah know...

And of course, those fucking spiders in Dark Messiah, I mean, fuuuuuck ><;
I haven't completed Metroid Prime because of them.

No, don't lock the doors!

It's getting dark!

The music!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair, the music alone can scare me shitless. Metroid Prime is the scariest 12 rated game I've ever played simply because the atmosphere is fantastic.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
The Regenerator from Dead Space is pretty high on my list.

But he doesn't come close to the bear from Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Ooh, I just thought of another one.

Synth Oaks

Oct 26, 2009

Rasklapanje. At least RE4 Regenerators stay dead.

I second Skeleton Wheels and fighting Doran fairly.

Bloathead Sorcerers, notably in that one big room, can get mildly annoying as well. (Or by this thread's nomenclature... dreadful.)

Also, these Cannon Towers from VC2:

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance had multiple of these. But the Assassin makes the top of the list . Ridiculously fast, jump higher than any unit in the game, high attack, evasion and MP, have access to some of the most lethal weapons in the game, can insta-kill you. About as brittle as dry rice krispies, but by the time you get to them they've already murdered several of your team.

The vampire comes close as a second. Ridiculous amounts of HP, can TELEPORT, i.e. height position makes no difference, high MP and attack, and when you kill them they resurrect after 3 turns and return to full HP.

Giant Frostbite spiders in Skyrim. Not really tough, but they're so hideous I always almost shout out loud "GTFO OF MY FACE AAAAAAGGHHHHH!!!!" while fighting them.

captcha: more chocolate. Why yes, yes indeed!

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
The protozoid slimers from Duke Nukem 3D

To this day I cannot or can barely play levels from that game that have that enemy in it. That screen-hugging face-eating attack animation scared the shit out of me when I was younger and I still can't face it.

Just google image it :<

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
The Crotch said:
I often play melee-oriented characters, so...
MichiganMuscle77 said:
Is that... the first Descent?
Ahh...the Cazardor

I played a Strict Stealth Sniper build and even then these things sucked at medium levels. Nice to be at max though and introduce them to 50 cal explosive rounds fired from 2-3 miles away.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
While SMT: Nocturne has its fair share of ballcrackingly hard battles, I think that the one that stands out is the Matador fight.

He is not joking

He just shows up out of the blue and turns a midly hard game into a nightmare. Unless you know EXACTLY what to do he'll wreck the shit out of you with great ease. I know people that quit the game because they couldn't win against him.

And he's only the third boss. (I think...)

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
lRookiel said:
Frission said:
Oh you haven't met the Capra demon yet, have you?

You'll see... You'll see.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/capra_demon.jpg/262881786/245x350/capra_demon.jpg

EDIT: Havel is ridiculously slow. Just circle him.
thesilentman said:
I killed Capra demon no problem, Before seeing your post btw "yay I did it on my own :D". I just used the falling attack and some firey moss shit :3

atleast you can take a couple hits from the Capra demon but with Havel it's ONE hit and you are dead. I'm playing the slow tanky guy so dodging his attacks is difficult.
Since your gear won't save you You'd be best off fighting Havel naked. Fast roll, boom.

For me it has to be - Those goddam Dragonslayer Archers in Anor Londo. New Game + = Heartbreak.

Or Smough and Ornstein, since on my first game I'd accidentally killed Solaire and my XBL had expired so I was stuck offline! :(

Captcha - Walk the walk

I was strutting when i finally beat them after 4 hours!

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
This cheerful gal right here...

In fact pretty much ANY enemy from Silent Hill 3; I hated the lot of them, not because they were scary but because they were all quite adept at kicking my ass if I decided to fight instead of taking the sensible action (run.)

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
Lawnmooer said:
Kobold Shamans in DDO are a nightmare...

Not only do they put out some serious hurt on lowbie characters with their spells, but they have crowd control effects (Higher difficulties can mean one stun landing gets you mauled apart by the swarm of kobalds around you), they have more health than other kobolds (Even higher than the melee ones) and to top it off, they'll jump backwards if trying to melee them (Often they'll jump up a wall and be out of reach for melee)
Bah, they have got nothing on the hobgoblin witch doctors.

The witch doctors pack a good deal of moderate to high damage attacks, mostly in the form of fire spells, and when the difficulty gets higher the spells get exponentially more powerful. You do the math; they will often take a good chunk out of your health before you even notice. Furthermore, they are often paired with hobgoblin clerics who in turn can cast fear on you. Unless you are a Paladin (or have some kind of fear immunity granting item) you will get fried. Worse yet, on higher difficulties the clerics get a fire meteor AOE spell, which combined with the above means you can pretty much start singing "And it burns, burns, burns. The ring of fire...the ring of fire." while your charcter is turned into slag.

Of course the hobgoblins have in turn got very little on the beholders. Those guys can effectively insta-kill you without even giving you some kind warning or hint.

Elois

Dec 10, 2012
dmv said:
Edit: If you haven't, I should probably tell you why.
[img/]http://images.wikia.com/devilmaycry/images/1/15/Demonic_Shadow_Cat.jpg[/img]
I'm replaying the first DMC game atm and both of my only 2 deaths so far have been because of that thing. Stupid self destruct grab attack.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Cazador's in New Vegas were the bane of my existence the first time I played because I never stocked up on antivenom so one hit from one of those fuckers would end up killing me and led to me having to trek have way across the wasteland just to get back to where I was.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Every Heaven Smile in Killer7. Every Rabit variant of enemy in Borderlands 2 (seriously unless properly equiped they constantly melee you into FFYL) and Super badasses.