The English Language

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The problem about Swedes is the way they think they know more English than they do. Except for me.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
If you can explain how English is illogical, that'd be great.

It makes sense to me, all words are made from this big group of symbols representing sounds and some of them change when you place them next to each other.
It's awesome!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
if you dislike it so much, move to china, learn chinese, and never speak another word of english.

we happen to love it.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
English is one of the better and less ridiculous languages out there, believe it or not. Be thankful we don't assign our nouns genders.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Hey! We kicked your asses (mainly because of the french's help but that's there choice to still be francophone). We earned the right to speak.

And for my ancestors, you guys took them from there homes, so I'd say letting us use your language (and butcher it in some cases, dear god...), is a decent apology :p

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
Seeing as a lot of other countries use English because of America rather than England, I don't think they would feel the need pay the English.
I'm calling bullshit on this. For starters America wouldn't be speaking English if it wasn't for English colonization and dominance of the continent. Second many of the nations with English as the main language have spent some time in some stage of possession by the British. Finally the English language spread because it was the language of commerce and has been for a long time. A medieval king once said he spoke "Spanish to men, latin to god, french to women, ENGLISH to his BANKER, and German to his horse." Nothing moves something better than financial incentive.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
kampori said:
I hate it, .. it's a horrible language with no subtlety or transgression, its not poetic or beautiful. It's limited and unbelievably illogical.
That is plain wrong. As someone who wasn't raised with English being my first language, I can vouch that English is extremely vast, descriptive and beautiful. The overwhelming majority of other languages are so incredibly simple compared to it. Calling English "limited"?.. well I can't even see where you are coming from.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
deadman91 said:
"Spanish to men, latin to god, french to women, ENGLISH to his BANKER, and German to his horse."
I gotta remember that one. I also must know which king said it.

*googles*

edit: I can only find it from a cursory glance attributed to Charles V. But the phrase is "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse," with no mention of english.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Altorin said:
deadman91 said:
"Spanish to men, latin to god, french to women, ENGLISH to his BANKER, and German to his horse."

*googles*

edit: I can only find it from a cursory glance attributed to Charles V. But the phrase is "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse," with no mention of english.
Hmm... Charles V sounds right. And you've put more research into it than I do. I'm probably mixing up quotes with another one, but I have heard the English to Bankers somewhere. I just remembered the German to my Horse thing out of it all. Great quote.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
deadman91 said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Seeing as a lot of other countries use English because of America rather than England, I don't think they would feel the need pay the English.
I'm calling bullshit on this. For starters America wouldn't be speaking English if it wasn't for English colonization and dominance of the continent. Second many of the nations with English as the main language have spent some time in some stage of possession by the British. Finally the English language spread because it was the language of commerce and has been for a long time. A medieval king once said he spoke "Spanish to men, latin to god, french to women, ENGLISH to his BANKER, and German to his horse." Nothing moves something better than financial incentive.
Yes because Britishization exists?

I'm trying to come off as "that guy" but seriously, Americanization has played a the major factor in the development of globalization, for better and for worse.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
I like how you can walk across england and hear like 50 different accents. Europe doesn't even come close.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
S.R.S. said:
I like how you can walk across england and hear like 50 different accents. Europe doesn't even come close.
I see. Another briton who thinks the UK is its own continent..?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
deadman91 said:
Altorin said:
deadman91 said:

*googles*

Hmm... Charles V sounds right. And you've put more research into it than I do. I'm probably mixing up quotes with another one, but I have heard the English to Bankers somewhere. I just remembered the German to my Horse thing out of it all. Great quote.
I actually prefer your wording to the actual quote, honestly, lol

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Here's how it went:

British came to America, set up English speaking colonies. America said "fuck you, brits," and now is its own country. America grew, and so did the language, as everyone who came here learned it. Then America spread it's international influence after WWII and countries like Japan learned English to keep up in the global economy.

If England wants to tax English speaking nations, I'm sure we would just change our official language to "American." Plus all the treaties that tax would defy...

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I think you're skipping a few steps there, most notably the minor detail of "world spanning empire"... I think that might have something to do with it all.