The Escapist Avatar Adventure: An Open RP (Now Re-Opened!)

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]Rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

"Ahhh, see, I'd prefer to be able to talk to the man himself. I have less of an interest in reporting a crime and more understanding what actually happened. By taking him to court, I fear we could make a small misunderstanding far worse. Please, if you could give me an address, I might head as Livia's envoy and resolve the matter peacefully without a court. I can imagine it being a much more efficient solution, wouldn't you agree?"

The Legal system and Rugal have had a long and complicated history but the fact of the matter was, he wasn't going to wait a month for them to meet in court. ("Awwww, they still believe the law serves the people here. How cute...")
Wincing a bit as he massaged his brow, Rugal attempted to find a "Faster" way of getting what he wanted.
As the Magistrate heard his case, he started to case the forum for a mark: Someone high enough to get him access to government documents but low enough that no one really cared much about them one way or another.
Hell, if he saw anything that might be able to help him like a key, he could even attempt to pickpocket them (Besides, he doubt that many of the people here would be able to give chase or even fight him should he be caught).
Turning back to the Magistrate, he then asked "Just if I can't get an address from you, could I get it from someone else?"

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

"Very kindly, Rugal Bernstein, you are clearly not a citizen of the Roman state. Scuffles between families should be handles by either first party executors, or by third party sophists. That is the way things should be done." The magistrate put down his quill. He smiled, "Anything more would be considered extrajudicial activity. And to speak simply, you do not seem to be the proper social rank to personally seek out the Aurelius family."

It was impossible for Rugal, even with his extensive training in classical texts, to discern the ranks of the people in the statehouse. There were just too many people of too many types. None of them wore keys.

"That being said, it would be another thing if you somehow happened to find yourself in Rome's third district upper housing quarters. They happen to own the apartment buildings in the area and it would be a shame if you bumped into a man wearing a silver eagle broach since they would probably belong to the Aurelius family."

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]Rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

Disappointment filled him at first, least until Rugal realized that he was giving him the information on the down-low.
Kindly smiling back at the Magistrate, he bowed before replying "Yes, that would be a shame, wouldn't it? Oh well, I'll be sure to not look there then. I'd thank you for your time, but you didn't really help me, did you?"
Smirking at his joke, he began to make his way out of the forum, considering his next move.
It had been some time since he was last in Rome, even the one from his own time but if they owned property, it'd just be a matter of making a stir until someone came asking about him.

Of course, he'd have to get there first but hopefully that would be the easy part, "All Roads Lead to Rome" after all.
With his goal fulfilled, he then started to make his way back to the Markets, hoping to catch Livia at a quiet moment to discuss those Blades of hers...

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

The markets in Pompeii were much less exciting than the market at Ostia. The roads were wide and comfortable and stalls flew their banners here and there. There was no frenzy in sale here, but rather a more muted and refined experience. The stores were lined with marble and polished wood and the wares sat on cloth seats. Goods from fruits to weapons to slaves were displayed tastefully and unobtrusively. The merchants sat on padded cushions, fanning themselves away from the warmth of Pompeii's summer sun.

Rugal found Livia about two blocks down the market district at a silks importer. Of all the colorful fabrics of the store she was inspecting a large piece of plain white. Ortha noticed Rugal and whispered in Livia's ear.

"Rugal," Livia said as she turned away from the silks merchant. She tilted her head, "I did not expect to see you here. I can't imagine you're actually looking to buy clothes, so what is it that I can help you with?"

"This is a friend of my lady's?" The merchant asked gently.

"More similar to a guest." Livia answered.

"Then a friend of mine," the merchant replied. He turned to Rugal and extended a hand. He was a small, shrewd looking man with thinning black hair and small eyes. His mustache ran thin and long down the sides of mouth and he wore a colorful blue robed decorated with golden clouds. His skin made Rugal think that he was Arabian, but his mannerisms made him seem much more Chinese than anything else. "I am Fu Kua, an foreigner here in the Sea of Love. Feel free to buy anything that catches your eye, I'll take thirty percent off of the listed price for any guest of the Lady's."

"It would surprise me if he had enough money to buy a foot of silk on him right now," Livia scoffed, "he's here for me, Old Man Fu."

"Young people are too quick to judge others by their appearances," Fu Kua replied with a courteous bow, "good friends come from unexpected places."

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

"There isn't one, not one that you'd be looking for anyways." Phillip answered back. "The mustard brown one, large and brutish; he leads the servers as it seems but they shouldn't know anything outside of what plate to send where." He suggested to Nina's surprise. "Wait really, they wouldn't be able to confirm they'd talked to the real Matron and not some impostor?" She asked back, looking up to the goblins and ogres divvying up water and refreshments to the patrons there. "Possible but their reaction to her death makes it seem like impostoring her is a feat itself. You can substitute for an ingredient, but it can't beat the real thing. Phillip spoke his mind, not overly concerned about the people there, but even he realized the magnitude the Matron had on her people. "But, you are right, the kitchen is largely false. Only Miriam seems to be there, and even that isn't entirely true."

That was right, Nina thought. Phillip had mentioned something about there being multiple Miriam. She didn't fully understand it herself, but something had definitely gone screwy the last time she'd tried to go to the kitchen. With everything that'd happened already, Phillip might not be that far off to say the kitchen wasn't real.

Regardless, Nina winced at the mention of 'Violet', still sore about what Ensay had said to them. She'd hesitate to correct her, wanting Faea to call Violet by Mnemonyse, but in the end Faea looked exhausted. She'd remember to talk about it later given the chance, but for now she'd suffice to watch Issem scuttle away. "Damn, thought that'd be a good way to get eyes in the room at the time."

"Though my fears seem to have come to light. In the fallout of the matron's death, I seem to be losing my hearing." Faea finally said, "This ringing in my
Code:
[i]~bzzzt~[/i]
ears grows only louder
Code:
[i][b]~BzzzzT~[/b][/i]
[small] and more[/small] [sub]persi[small]stent[/small][/sub]
Code:
~BZZZZZZT~
[small][sub]wi.. ..ch p..si..-[/sub][/small]

[HEADING=2]
Code:
~BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT~
[/HEADING]​

"Can you tell me the story about the tortoise and the eagle," the little girl said. She held her head tightly in the embrace of the Matron.

The Matron cooed and gently brushed the little girl's red hair. "I'm sorry, I don't remember that story."

"Why not?" the girl pouted.

The Matron paused. Then she whispered, "I do not know why I cannot remember."

"All stories should be remembered. They should be collected, written down, and retold!" the little girl exclaimed. She clapped her hands together and produced a small seed. Then she planted it in the earth.

"What is that for?" the Matron asked.

"It's the seed of a knowledge tree" the little girl answered, "when it grows up it will fill books full of stories from all over!"

"That's wonderful," the Matron cooed, "but while we wait, should I tell you a new story?"

"Tell me a story of the world outside."

"There exists a world far far away..." the Matron began.

Beneath the soil the seed sprouted, and the first sapling of the first tree breathed.

And with that Nina was back in the train car, unsure of the amount of time she'd missed. Everyone seemed to be where they had been, she wasn't on the floor, and Faea was probably staring at her. "Ah, fuck... Sorry." She apologized, raising her hands up to her face only to realize, she was holding her phone.

Last she remembered her phone was in her bag, so to have it there now was quite jarring. Her heart stopped for a moment as she noticed the new message alert, unsure what it was at first but figured it was McDipshit again. "Sorry, Phillip, could you grab me one of those waters too?" She asked, watching as he climbed off her side to fetch it, which gave her the chance she needed to look at the messages without breaking the rules again.

To say she wasn't happy was an understatement, obviously whomever McDipshit was, they either had eyes on her phone or somehow had access to her phone! Proper edicate aside, Faea would have the privilege to watch Nina pound out a response to McDipshit or at least go through the motions. There was probably a joke about 'Inconsiderate Millennials' somewhere in this, but by the time Phillip had made his way back, Nina had finished her response and had switched over to something to record Faea's answers. "Thanks Phillip. I guess I was still a bit worked up there... It's been a lot to keep track of." She said as she took the water from him.

"So Faea, there's two other questions I can think of for you right now, mostly right now I'm trying to make a timeline, figure out who was where. That sort of thing. So would you mind filling me in on what you were doing before Crown brought you to make, this." She said, waving at her spider weave dress. "And then what happened after you left us in the dining car. Any witnesses that could confirm anything would be helpful too. The second question involves that human you mentioned when we first met. At this point I've nearly traveled the entire length of the train but I still haven't seen this woman. Did you ever see or hear from her after that first time, or was that the only time she'd shown up?"

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
The Rising Dawn Entrance
Hillary the Slime

Under orders to make her way inside the ship while Angelus and Caim took care of the skeletons outside, Hillary swiftly made her way towards the ship's open bay door on her pseudopod. Having left the dragon scales behind, she had once again becomes the grassy visage of nature she'd been when she first had woken up in the Origin Planes, but at least this afforded her a significant boost in stealth. Why use a gilly suit when you could be the gilly suit after all, and soon enough Hillary had made her way to the rampway to the door.

Hillary kept her head down as the skeletons ran off to do their nasty mischievous acts. They sure were spooky, looking almost like some of Penelope's charts she had of some of the residents on the Laplace! When she thought they'd gotten a far enough distance away, Hillary pulled herself onto the ramp and walked towards the entrance as quick as she could. Her pseudopod would once again give way to the metal flooring of the ramp as her newly formed feet clanged against it causing her to look back over her shoulder with concern of giving away her position. "Oh! Hillary should have thought of that!" She cried in a hush tone

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

"...Regrettably, my purse is rather empty these days. The travelers lifestyle isn't a wealthy one." Rugal confessed as he began to browse Fu Kua's wares, seeing how he was there, he might as well take a look.
As he eyed up a rather soft and light crimson fabric, he then address Livia once the shopkeeper was out of earshot.
"I know about the Aurelius family and the device that man believes will save his daughter. I'm planning to head for Rome soon to track them down and hopefully get some answers. I'm not asking for you to pay for my travel but I am asking if there is anything else I should know about. Such as why those blades of yours are the only ones that can open it..."

Despite the tone of the conversation, Rugal kept examining the store's wares, not wanting to tip Fu Kua off to their talk.
"Now, I can't confirm it yet but I believe that device could be my key to getting back home. Of course, if you know anything that would suggest otherwise, now would be an ideal time to tell me." He added as he then realized something.
"Excuse me, but do you stock silk from the desert lands across the sea to the south-west? Namely the region around the river valley, I believe it might be known as The Nile? I was rather found of fabrics from that region before my current travel plans." He then asked, deciding that Livia would be less likely to make a scene if her stylist was in the room.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
The Rising Dawn: Medical Bay
Hillary the Slime | David West | Jenny | Violet

Thankfully for our smiley friend, the Skeletons located inside the ship were too busy trying to kill the remaining crew to bother her at this time.
A fair bit of racket and gunfire could be heard coming from the medical bay, a group of Skeletons [https://pre00.deviantart.net/b254/th/pre/f/2010/109/f/e/diablo_3_skeleton_by_kracov.jpg] attempting to batter down a strange impassible barrier that had formed at the main entrance.
[sub]"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T MIND CONTROL THEM?!"
"THEY'RE SKELETONS! THEY DON'T HAVE BRAINS! THERE'S NOTHING TO CONTROL!"
"THEN HOW THE FUCK IS THAT JOFFERY PRICK (Leoric) DOING IT!?"
"CAN YOU YELL ANY LOUDER, THE BOTH OF YAH?! MY HEAD DOESN'T HURT ENOUGH ALREADY! FECKS SAKE!"[/sub]

She could just about hear the trio of Heroes trapped inside, Jenny keeping a barrier up, David clinging to an IV drip for support/firing his pistol at a seemingly endless swarm of incoming skeletons from the side entrance.
Violet meanwhile was cowering under a Auto-Doc, muttering "There's no place like home! there's no place like home-" and being about as helpful as he always was.
As their maces and blades bounced harmlessly off the barrier, the Skeletons backed up only to notice Hilary, cackling to each other in unintelligible screeches.

{Look! The Enemy is here! GET HER BONES!}
{...Does she even have bones? She doesn't look human...}
{You doing to disobey the King! Because I'm not getting fed to the hounds again!}
{But he said "Fetch me their bones". She doesn't have bones...does she?}
{Only one way to find out!}

And with that, 3 of them began to charge at Hillary, swords drawn at they went to slash at her.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012

Hillary would reflexively cover her ears upon hearing the vulgarity coming from the trio behind the barrier, her still grassy hands making a swoosh sound as she did so. Despite this, she was still glad that they were okay, scared but okay. "Ah! Hillary was told to come make sure everyone was okay! Help should be coming!" Hillary called out to the group behind the barrier.

With her only material contact being the metallic floor underneath her, her conversion rate wasn't overly quick. Lucky for her the skeletons' little group huddle was ample time for her body to fully transform into a metallic version of herself, oddly looking a bit angular in comparison to her more softer features. Unlucky for her, transforming into a harder substance wouldn't remedy Hillary's completely abysmal combative skills. As such, when the skeletons finally decided to charge at her, the only thing she managed to do was put up her arms in a pathetic attempt to protect herself.

CLANG! CLANG! Scrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!​

Two of the skeletons hit shallow, one hitting Hillary's temple, denting her eyebrow to the point the edge of the blade was a mere hair's length from touching her eye, the other slamming into her forearm which caused similar damage. The third however managed to hit paydirt, slamming hard into her collarbone area, causing enough impact to reach the air chamber within Hillary's chest. With the sword needing to only slice through a relatively thin section of metal, the sword would manage to cleave through half of Hillary's chest before it finally came to a stop. The prior two impacts would only aggravate the problem more as the skeletons' weight pushed the tear even further, causing Hillary's upper torso and right arm to bend inhumanly backwards and hit the ground hard with another ringing clang.

For Hillary's part, she was unable to make any sort of cry of pain or anguish, the three behind the barrier were smart enough to know vocal cords need some sort of diaphragm to function after all. She appeared to still be conscious, the arm connected to her upper body moving to try and prop herself up. It appeared she hadn't fully understood recognized her current position, nor did she notice her bottom half falling over and bonking her head into the ground in a morbid show of black humor. After a few more seconds of floundering on the floor, Hillary in her entirety would melt into a singular pool of liquid metal on the floor.

The skeleton's might be disappointed in not finding any bones within the odd humanoid, at least they could celebrate a successful defeat of an enemy. As long as they didn't continue watching Hillary's 'corpse' as the metallic puddle began to quickly pull itself back together and reform.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009

{See? No Bones!}
{Awwww, dammit. I thought I would have gotten promoted by the King}

The Skeletons seemed a bit let down by how quickly Hillary was "Killed", she didn't even drop a white item on death!
{Alright, show's over. Get that damn barrier down.} One of them commanded as they attempted to use a nearby cleaning trolley as a battering ram.
Grouping up around it and putting their shields on it, the skeleton muttered {Okay on 3...1...2-}
{HIGH FUCKING HEAVENS! LOOK! IT'S NOT DEAD!} One of them pointed out, nearly making the crowd jump out of their skin (Or the skin of their teeth anyway) as they noticed Hillary reforming.
{What the Burning Hells is that thing?!}
{Oh no...w-what if it's a demon?! I was killed by a demon, I don't want to die again!}
{You can't die again! And it mightn't be a demon! I heard the king call this one a-....Al-leon?)
{...What's an Al-Leon?)
(Wait, did he say that thing wasn't a demon or was that just what kind of demon it is?...}

The group went silent after that statement, glancing at each other as their bones trembled and clattered in growing fear.

"Hillary, listen. Once I give the signal, you need to run in here right now as fast as you can." Jenny's voice spoke to her as the skeletons noticed something far more hazardous to their undead lives.
{WATCH OU-OOOFF!?}
The Reflect barrier suddenly rushed towards them, making a bone sandwich with the hallway wall full to the brim with rather stunned skeletons writhing in vain.
"GET IN! NOW!" The Gardevoir shouted, straining a bit from how long she had to keep that barrier up before now.

Gunfire still rang out as David kept his vigil, despite being on more painkillers then blood at this point.
Violet meanwhile-
"AHHHHHH! SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT-"
"It's just Hillary! Don't just stand there! Help her!" The Irishman before peppering the staff entrance to the medical bay with his pistol, keeping the un-ending hoard of skeletons at bay.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

"Oh, forgive me. I had meant to say the South East. No wonder I can't seem to find my way home. Thank you." Rugal dismissed the shopkeeper before turning to Livia, his mood getting more stern as he did.
"Relax, I'm not taking your mother's weapons from you. I have a theory that they don't open the device but rather the power within them does. Allow me to explain..."

Stepping back from the priceless robes, He then raised his hand before igniting a crimson flame in the palm of his hand.
"My years of training have given me a great degree of control over the energy in both mine and other people's bodies. Magical, Ki, Holy, Elemental, I'm able to absorb power and use it myself. It's even worked on gods in my own world. So what I intend to do is to borrow some of whatever power she put into those weapons and use that to open the device. Imagine a Batter-...[sub]Right, those don't exist yet[/i]...Imagine a fire pit and I'm a pitch torch. I can take the flame from the pit and bring it elsewhere, all without affecting the fire in the pit. I plan to do the same with your blades."

Snuffing out the flame and returning to his browsing now that he wasn't a fire risk, he added "I don't much about the family who owns it or even the man who owns it. What I do know is that he believes that unlocking it will save his ailing daughter. And even if it doesn't bring me home to my own daughter, I know that helping that girl would be what she'd want me to do. You don't have to do anything, I can make the trip to Rome myself. But before I do, I need to make sure that my theory is solid. So if there is anything that you forgot to tell me or choose not to, now would be a good time to tell me, wouldn't you agree?"

"This would go faster if you just-"

A rather visible pang of discomfort shot though the aging fighter, prompting him to hold his head as he leaned against a clothing rack for support.
"Awww, did I hit a nerve? Come on, like this is the first time you killed a hapless little girl because she had something you wanted..."
Recovering from his little episode, he straightened himself before apologizing: "Sorry. Migraine. They've been becoming more frequent it feels..."
"...You did not just call me a Migraine, Old Man..."

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012

Hillary's head was only partially formed by the time Jenny contacted her, while her arms had only just separated from the rising torso, looking more like drooping lumps than proper finger digits. 'That was that dress lady? She sounded close?' She thought as the mound swayed back and forth, clearly unable to speak at the current moment. Regardless, while Jenny waited for the right moment to signal her, Hillary would shift to the side getting within a few meters of the hallway's wall.

When given the signal, Hillary would scoot along the ground on her quickly dwindling pseudopod. She looked largely human now, looking far more solid but still a bit melty. Her ankles were still in the midst of forming and she didn't appear to have any facial features, but otherwise she looked to be back to her normal. Steadfast, she continued forward, actually a bit too forward. She would continue straight down the hallway, not taking the direct path as she hugged the wall and disappeared behind the door frame; the clanging footsteps of her hardened soles ringing out as her pseudopod finally disappeared allowing the trio to hear her approach, at a speed walk.

Soon enough Hillary would then breach the doorway, her face finally now visible, a great deal of happiness across her visage upon spotting them. Seeing just how many skeletons were trying to assail the group from the side caught her off-guard. The odd man shouting and pointing at her didn't help either, causing her to double take, and see nothing. David would rectify her confusion as he chastised the doctor, allowing Hillary to reform her voice chamber with a large yawn. "Thank you for helping Hillary but I'm alright! Hillary was more surprised than hurt when those skeleton people attacked her. The big mean ghost made all of them, but she hadn't seen this many before! I want to help!" She informed them. [footnote]Could I get a bit of a description of that this place looks like? What stuff's around? That sort of thing?[/footnote]

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
[i]nina's story[/i]
[hr]

Faea furrowed her brow in concentration. "Before I met you I was inspecting the Matron's personal car. I didn't find anything out-of-the-ordinary, so that's why I let Crown call me away. But now that you mention it, I haven't seen nor heard from that human woman since she boarded."

The train shook. The darkness outside was receding, slowly being replaced by slim streaks of glimmering red. The color ran through the darkness like veins, each of them pulsed softly as if filled with a cosmic heartbeat.

"I cannot remember her name, not what her face looked like. She wore a cloak fashioned from an otherworldly fabric, so dark that neither light nor sound could breach it's depths. But Issem said that she was tall and well-endowed. She had muscles like a soldier." Faea shook her head. "I'm sorry, but I feel ever so weary. My ears are causing me nausea and pain."

"Oh no, oh dear," a girl climbed onto a table to look outside. Her eyes were wide with worry. She was pale, short, but massively busty. Short red hair framed her bare shoulders with a gentle curled caress and a short white dress tickled the top of her thighs. A deep ultramarine headband kept her hair neatly in place. "I've never seen ley lines like those before. Are we even still in Anazorzia?" She slipped off the table and hurried away toward the operations car. "I must tell her. Yes, I must. This can't go on any longer."

Cuelle stretched her tendrils out before folding them back into her dress. She was standing on her legs under her own power again. The effects of the Matron's death on the teenage girl seemed to have passed faster than in any of the other eldritch in the cart. She looked back and forth with her blind eyes as if searching for something, but then started to head down the way toward the kitchen.

[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

Livia was barely able to keep her composure, "Foolish, aren't you? You asked me for what I knew, and I told you. Dealing with the Aurelius family is dangerous business. More like than not, they will hurt you just as much as that artifact of the First Kings." She drew her blades from their feathered sheathes. The stone gleamed in the midday light. They were polished stone, one white, the other green. Thin streaks of white and gold ran through the surface of the blades like veins over marble. The knives seemed to be alive, glowing with a history and power built up over thousands of years of prehistory.

"Listen carefully Rugal," Rugal said, "because I will only tell you once. A thousand years ago the world ended. Humanity was nearly wiped out by a race of people that came from the mist. They appeared one day on every shore in the world, men seven feet tall and clad in orichalcum. They burned cities to ashes and slaughtered people where they stood, be it men, women, or children. Before they came was the Age of Heroes, when Odysseus crossed the sea to Troy to rescue Helen and when Hercules journeyed for Hera's sake.

"Before that age was the age of silver men, when giants still roamed the earth and dragons ruled the skies. Mankind had just begun to build cities to shield themselves from the monsters of the land and sea. Before even that age was the Age of Gold. At that time Gods walked among men instead of presiding in their homes in the sky, sea, and earth. The World was new and humanity still harbored magic in their very bodies. The First Kings reigned in that age over the grand cities of Atlantis, of Nibiru, and of Themiscyra.

"They set entire valleys ablaze with their magic, called gales and flood with lost mathematics, and tamed beasts of such might and majesty that we cannot even reassemble their skeletons today. Artifacts of the First Kings are dangerous, do you understand? They are more likely superweapons than they are panaceas. If the Aurelius' device is truly a benign, then I doubt my father would have let it go so long unopened. He was not a foolish man, nor was he cold-hearted."

She held out the blades to Rugal, "If you understand all this, then take a piece of my mother's blades and begone. Live with the consequences of your decision."

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]Rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

"Superweapons?...At first you had my attention but now you have my interest."

Wincing again, Rugal managed to shake off his headache before replying "In which case, all the more reason I should see to this matter myself. I know first hand the kind of damage such artifacts can do in the wrong hands. Now, let me see those..."
Rather then taking a piece, Rugal instead held the blades in his hand before softly closing his eyes.
Livia could just about feel him very lightly tap into the strange power within the weapons before exhaling slightly.
It-...it was a strange sensation for him, while he was used to being able to sense the energy himself and others put out, this felt much more...detailed for lack of a better term.

The first thing he noticed was-...he was looking at himself? His imposing figure towered over Livia, causing him quite some confusion until he realized what was happening.
I'm-...looking though her eyes?... He thought as he could make out her emotions (Namely how annoyed she was with his antics thus far) and even being able to taste the fresh water on her tongue from when she drank.
No-...no this is more then that, isn't it?... He thought as he shifted his attention to Fu Kua, briefly getting a vision of him sweeping the storage area.
He was able to feel the wood of the brush in his hands and the slight resistance it had when it was dragged along the floor.
A distant buzzing got his attention before he saw himself from the many eyes of a fly, watching his own slightly confused expression grow though thousands of eyes.

Once he was free from his little trance, he opened his eyes and said "...I-...I have never felt anything like that before.", watching the fly buzz away with an almost childlike glee on his face, it had been some time since he experienced something that "New" and unusual.
"Back in my home, there are people who can view and in some case manipulate the minds of others but-...It didn't feel like I was merely viewing, I was their minds and-...good lord..."
A grim realization kicked in, for as long as he could remember, people in his world spent trillions trying to get inside the minds of their kin.
Be it advertisers trying to convince you to purchase their product or intelligence agencies trying to outwit their rivals, what he experienced was the realization of their goal.
And unlike Jenny the Gardevoir or his former employee Master Bison, there didn't seem to be a limit or any restriction he had to overcome, no training or amplification needed.
Hell, had he drawn more from the blades he could have easily have been able to feel and see what everyone was doing or thinking in Pompeii all at once!
With that kind of power, one could easily become a King or a Queen, constantly able to read and tend to the needs of his or her people, of the land and possibly even the entire planet itself!

But what sent a chill down his spine was how he would be nearly unstoppable with that kind of power.

No attacker could hit him unless he allowed it.
No plot against him could succeed unless he allowed it.
No army could outmaneuver him unless he allowed it.
No one could ever think of resisting or objecting to his rule unless he allowed it.
No one would be safe from his gaze...George Orwell's nightmare made flesh.

"...Oh hell yes..."

"..."

He quickly grabbed the blades again in Livia's hands again, clutching onto them for dear life before he muttered "Don't let anyone take these from you. Not Me. Not The Aurelius Family. Throw them in the damn sea if you have to!"
"You can't be serious!? All the years we spent perfecting our mind and body! This is what we have always dreamed of! You going to get cold feet now? After all the mountains of dead you marched over?! The people you betrayed?! You doing to let all that work be for nothing?! THEIR DEATHS BE FOR NOTHING?!... Take it's power! Take it all! BECOME THE GOD WE WERE DESTINED TO BE!."
Rather then listen to his primal urges, Rugal instead surged a sizable portion of his power back into the weapons, making sure there was no trace of it's power left in his body.
He went so far as to put far more power back in then he took out, just to sure.
"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!? SMASH THAT LITTLE WHORE'S SKULL AGAINST THE FLOOR AND TAKE YOUR DAMN GODHOOD YOU FECKLESS PRICK! Ohhh, so help me, when I find a way out of here-"
"K-keep them from me. Don't let me-..." He stammered, going light headed from pain and exertion as he nearly collapsed and took an entire rack of fabric down with him.
He then sat there with actual fear in his eyes, panting and staring at Livia as he laid there on the ground.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
The Rising Dawn: Medical Bay [https://www.darkcreations.org/static/uploads/gallery/album_388/gallery_6484_388_862189.jpg.d35680cc97d6cec95e101b676f46e953.jpg]

"Good to hear. Just wish I had something to tell you outside of "Don't let the skeleton's kill you"..." David muttered as Violet FINALLY made himself useful and pushed a heavy cabinet in front of the entrance he was shooting at, giving them a moment of peace.
It was a short lived one as a rather large skeleton warrior was able to bash the cabinet out of the way, least before he got one right between where his eyes used to be.
"I-I need to keep this barrier up. Barricade, ngh, they won't work for long against these things..." Jenny explained as nearly 10 skeletons tried to push though the doorway only to get smushed up against the barrier like wild animals against a glass screen.
"We aren't going to be able to maintain a defense of this area for long. We'll need to get to the armory. It's room layout is far more defensible and that's where all the big guns are."
"Wait, what if they got there first? Then we'll be slaughtered by skeletons with guns instead of swords!"
Looking rather pissed off at that attitude, David limped over to the "Doctor", holding his IV stand like a walking staff before explaining "Look at this way, you'll die faster from a bullet then from a blade, right? Win, Win."

Turning back to Hillary, he then said "Do yourself a favor and pick a form with a lot of metal. I'm still shot to shit and Jenny is way too exhausted to fight. You're going to have to take point. You know how to fight? If not, you better learn now."
Cracks started to appear in Jenny's barrier while David suppressed another attempt for the invaders to break in.
"I mean, if you have another idea, now would be a great time to let me know."

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

Livia glared down at Rugal with equal parts revulsion and empathy. Even though he had thrust each and every piece of energy back into the stone blades, the world around him seemed to be brighter. The wind was sweeter and the sun was warmer. He had not noticed before, but he could hear the soft chirping of magpies over the clear trickle of cold water in the fountain a block away. The clamor of conversation was less of an overlapping cacophony now. Voices had harmony. The ruffle of fabrics in a passing breeze took him back into reality.

"Oh my, oh my," Fu Kua said as he hurried to Rugal's side. "What happened? Heat stroke? It is quite warm." He produced a waterskin from his belt. "Here, drink this. It will help."

"What are you talking about?" Livia finally vocalized. She held Sinister and Dexter closely against her breast. They seemed to shimmer gold. "As if I would let anyone just have them. They were my mother's!"

Who is this girl...?
There was someone behind Livia. A golden phantom in a white dress, hair as red as blood and eyes as blue as the sea. She looked bewildered, half-here and half-there.

Why does she look like me?
Small metal trinkets chimed against each other from circlets on her wrists and ankles. She was wearing ornate armor over her dress. Golden slivers wrapped around her body like the roots of an ancient tree. Her breastplate was colored glass in the shape of a blooming flower.

My sword.
She grasped the air before her, where Livia was standing holding onto her knives. From Rugal's position on the floor, it looked like the two women were both holding onto the knives. In Livia's hands they were throwing knives, in the hands of the phantom, they were two ends of a single twinblade.

It has broken.
She turned around.

Where is Kyuubey? Where am I?
Then she suddenly seem to come to. She staggered back as if she had been hit by an invisible blow. She held her head in her hands and collapsed onto her knees, falling through Livia.

This isn't Egypt. Where's Cleopatra!? Where's that *****!? Kyuubey! Kyuubey! You lied to me! You told me that she didn't know that was coming!
Rugal found himself above an emerald sea. The skies were on fire, smoke smothered the clouds and soot rained down like black snow. The water ripped itself apart into snarling serpents. Near the far shore a massive snake coiled against the horizon. It's scales borne of sorcerous sand and it's fangs the white limestone of Alexandria's shore.

Streaks of flame tumbled through the sky and tore into his flock. The screech of griffins and eagles bit into his heart and stomach. He couldn't stand the smell of burning feathers.

He felt the Leviathan swell from below the surface of the oil-slicked water. It was having trouble seeing out of it's briny domain. Still, huge tentacles broke the surface and slammed onto the shore. The Leviathan dragged himself onto the burning sand, bringing with him the brood of the sea.

A nude figure stood on top of the snake. Bronze jewelry decorated her body and she held a long oaken staff in her hands. Her eyes were blackened with coal, and her lips were twisted into a cruel smile. She raised her staff and another stream of fire ripped through the flock. The eagle Rugal was on ducked into sea. He could feel the momentous passing of the Leviathan as it struggled to pull the snake of sands into the sea. The eagle broke the surface again, slick with the Egyptian oil that had stained the water. Rugal had to fight back the urge to puke. The oil smelled rancid.

His heart was heavy. He yearned for the daughter and son that he had to leave at home, torn away from her family by his duty to the state. His homestead in Etruria, where the amber wheat lilted gently on rolling hills. Where the foundations of a homestead had just begun to be laid. His longing grew into fury. He stood up, screaming at the top of his lungs. The words were incomprehensible, but their form did not matter. What mattered was that his adversary, the Witch, heard his fury, his longing, and his absolute loathing.

He jumped, soaring through the air with twinblade in hand. The stone was light, glowing with both anticipation and bloodlust. He landed on one of the jackal demons on the shore. The stone blade bit deep into it's hide and Rugal twisted the sword. He knew all of the hatred of the demon, the fear of the invaders. He accepted it, took it all inside of himself and snuffed it out. The jackal grew still and turned to white stone. It's life drained into the bleeding edge of the twinblades. With another flourish of his hands, he shattered the statue of the jackal into dust with the second edge.

The Sand Snake and the Leviathan crashed against the land some way away, throwing brine and sand high into the air. The earth shook. Jackals swarmed around her. Feathered missiles tore into the snapping mass of black dogs from above. The screech of eagles and griffins echoed against the howl of the hellhounds.

"Cleopatra!" he took off toward the base of the snake, sword tearing apart the jackals as they leaped at him. With a strong kick, he set himself up the length of the giant snake, toward the perch of the Egyptian Queen.

"Serra!" Cleopatra answered.

The two women clashed, twinblade against staff in the burning sky over Alexandra as their familiars tore into each other. Rugal couldn't think. There was only rage here. A painful, longing, rage born of bitterness. Their blows came like the rain. An unrelenting flurry of stone against bronze. He could feel each strike ringing in the bones of his arm, each kick, each twist and turn of his body was met with an equivalent strike from the Egyptian Queen.

The howl of a jackal caught him off guard as the black shadow barreled into his side. But he twisted around and launched the hellhound with a full-bodied kick. He landed several meters away from Cleopatra, who stood defiantly upon the writhing serpent in brazen nudity. Every inch of her skin was slick with some sort of clear oil. A trick, or a poison for sure. She raised her staff at Rugal and charged. Rugal ducked to the left and struck out with the white edge of his twinblade, but Cleopatra caught it with the short end of her staff. He swung to the right and met with the hard resistance of a block. He twisted and landed a kick on her side, launching her out into the sky.

His foot burned. He looked down. The oil was eating through the metal braces around his foot. He spat, "Spineless!"

Cleopatra snapped her fingers and a whirlwind of fire manifested around Rugal. He turned and tumbled out of the wall of flame, but as his foot passed through the fire, it exploded. The pain was blinding as he was hurled through the air. Two eagles caught him by the shoulders. He looked down and were his right foot used to be was now a bleeding, blackened stump. He pushed the white edge of his twinblade into his foot and twisted, forcing the tissues to grow out in a cancerous frenzy. When the eagles let him off on the head of the Leviathan, his foot had grown back enough to use.

Cleopatra sent streams of fire toward Rugal with each snap of her fingers, and Rugal twisted out of each flaming river as he advanced. He brought his twinsword to bear and struck out, aiming at the soul crystal in the bronze broach on Cleopatra's neck. But he felt his sword connect against the amber gem, Cleopatra's staff crashed against the back of his head, where the clip housing his own gemstone was.

I... died...
Rugal found himself back in himself. He was sitting on a bench in the silks store. A cup of cold water in his hands. Fu Kua and Livia both eyed him cautiously. "Are you... okay?"

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

"...Well...That was certainly wasn't a more worthwhile experience then godhood but hey, what do I know?..."

Ironically, Rugal felt more at home during his vision then he did in the waking world.
As a result, he was extra confused when he finally was able to focus, sitting up awake with shock once he was prompted
Ah-...ah....how long was I-...Ah..I believe I might have been overwhelmed by...Visions of the past...I-...I believe they have passed now..."
He instinctively checked where his foot was "Burned off", finding it thankfully still attached to his body before breathing a sigh of relief and downing the fresh water he was offered
Breaking it to his audience without sounding like a mad-man however? That wouldn't be nearly as easy.
"...I had a vision...It was a great battle, in Alexandria. It was between a witch named Cleopatra and-...."
He turned to Livia before adding "I know how strange this is going to sound but-...I think I saw the battle your mother died in...with her own eyes...Red hair, blue eyes, Glass Breastplate, circlets on her limbs. She was fighting her rival but-..Cleopatra won and-...It's hard to describe, there was so much going on but two beings of great power fought...and...."

Standing up slowly and getting a sense of his...well, "senses" after something that intense, he looked to the others before finally saying "...you all think I've lost my mind, haven't you?...Be honest."
Wandering around the store, he ran his hand though one of the silk fabrics, getting used to only having his own sense available to him again.
His mind processed Serra's anger towards that damn cat, how he apparently betrayed her but...
"...She also cursed someone, one of her allies who loyalties laid elsewhere. He led her into a trap and-...Cleopatra was able to slay her." He then added, trying to reflect on anything else from that battle he could use here and now.
Still feeling a bit dizzy after all that, he asked "I might need some fresh air to clear my head. Pardon me..."
Rugal then left out the front of the building, taking a seat at a nearby wall before rubbing his brow whilst he tried to figure out his next move.

Well...if that device the Aurelius family has is even half as potent as those blades...they shouldn't be the ones to have it... He thought, knowing better then to trust a mortal with that kind of power.

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

The sunlight gleaned against the marble buildings that lined the streets of the market district. The shimmering light cast shadows in the air in front of him, giving form to the specter that had materialized in his head. Livia came out of the linen shop shortly after Rugal left, bidding Ortha and Phili to carry the clothes back to the Lucretius estate by the shore.

Livia sat down next to Rugal, her daggers made a gentle chime as they rattled against each other.

"My mother died when I was very young," she started. Livia wasn't looking at Rugal. She stared off into the side streets at playing children and passing merchants. Her fingers played with a lock of her red hair. "She was a hero, everyone always told me. She was a soldier who served under Julius Caesar in the civil war. You were right, she would wear a glass breastplate into battle. But she did not die in battle at Alexandria. She died in Crete, on the way to Egypt. Killed in action defending the Dreadnaught from pirates. She was a part of Julius' forward vanguard. He brought the news to our family himself."

Livia swallowed. "My father would always tell me and my brother stories about her. How brave she was, how kind, how compassionate. Gaius and I were enraptured, always. But I never knew her. She was gone to war before I even woke on my first dawn. Gaius had known her for two years, but did not remember much. Now, these blades are all that is left of her." Livia got up. "I leave for Rome tomorrow. If you truly have seen a vision of my mother, then I ask of you to follow. It is a good omen, for in all of our prayers, we could never reach her soul in Elysium."

Serra looked on at Livia. Her eyes were cold and fierce, unlike those of a mother's. The exposure to sunlight had made her specter more and more solid. To Rugal, she was no longer transparent. "You, man with two hearts," she said, "who are you. Where am I, and is that girl truly Livia Lucretius, second of my bloodline?"

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]Rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

Visions of the past or future weren't entirely uncommon in Rugal's passion for fighting, Elderly Masters being able to see what others could not in their almighty wisdom.
This? This certainly was!

Even as Livia explained her story, Rugal found himself entranced by the slowly forming figure nearby.
Before she could leave, he took her hand and explained "H-hold that thought for a moment, Livia...This is going to seem extremely strange but...I think she's now trying to talk to me. Pardon me for a moment."

Clearing his throat and facing the phantom, he answered Serra's questions whilst glancing around lest someone see him talking to himself and proclaim him mad.
"Greetings. I am Rugal Bernstein of The Rising Dawn. I've heard much about you. I apologize, I was attempting to draw power from your swords as part of my quest to return home. I witnessed your final battle in the process of doing so but-...I guess I might have "Awakened" you as well. I'm not a native of this world, but I can tell you we are in Pompeii right now. And uh..."
He paused for a moment as he attempted to introduce her daughter to her mother, not entirely sure either party could see even hear the other.
"This is indeed Livia Lucretius. I've been travelling with her as I try to find a way home. In case you didn't hear her, Serra was asking if you were her daughter. I-...I think when I drew energy from her blades, it might have awoken her. But I'm not certain if that's how she's able to talk to me like this." He explained, attempting to bridge the gap between the living and the dead(?) as best he could.

"Mind if we depart? I understand if you feel the need to "Catch up" but-...I'd much rather not have these "Conversations" out on the street..."

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
[i]rugal's story[/i]
[hr]

Livia pulled Rugal into the backstreets and alleys that spanned the narrower parts of the market district. The buildings grew tall on both sides and lazy vines crawled up the sides and over the small gaps in the stone. It was dark and cool, but only wide enough for a single person to pass at a time.

Serra stood in the sunlight, watching the two in the shade.

"You'll have to forgive me, but I have a hard time believing that you're talking to my dead mother." Livia said. "It is well known that ghosts may not speak to the living once they enter Death's domain."

"Then I have either failed to die, or have failed to enter the underworld." Serra answered nonchalantly. There was a look of annoyance on her face. "The Incubator would know what happened to me. We should find him."

Livia tucked her knives into sheathes inside of her tunica. She looked around and started to walk forward into the alleyway. "Nonetheless, I understand if you are a little disoriented. Whatever stunt you pulled back there with my knives changed them. While you are a foreigner and an idiot, your power is very real. Dexter and Sinister feel so much lighter now, as if infused with life. We need to have my grandmother take a look at you. She'll know what happened."

"No." Serra's voice rang through Rugal's mind like a bell. Though she stayed away from the darkness of the alleyway, Rugal could feel her presence as strongly as his darker alter ego. "Do not let my mother inspect you. It will only make her a target of the Incubator."