SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
This week on Cooking With Ewok:

20200913_194804.jpg
Brandy-mustard-maple syrup glazed pork tenderloin, mixed veggies seasoned with Tony's Chachere (a Cajun seasoning mix) and roasted with a thin layer of shredded cheese and toasted bread crumbs, and black beans simmered with garlic, onion, cilantro, and cumin.

Dredged the tenderloins (there were 4, cooked 2 at a time) on all sides with corn starch and then seared them to get a brown crust. Took them out of the pan, poured in the glaze mixture to boil off and reduce, then put the tenderloins back in. Rolled them around to coat. Stuck in oven to finish until interior was 130 F. Nice and medium rare.

My only points of dissatisfaction was a) the glaze was a b!tch to clean up, and b) bread crumbs weren't crunchy. I can't figure it out. I toasted them in a pan with some butter before topping the veggies (which had already been roasted and were put back into the oven to let the cheese melt). How do they do it in the restaurants? I dunno. It vexes me.

Otherwise it's really good. Bits of the crust on the tenderloins fell off into the glaze, and were basically candied. Topped the sliced tenderloin with them, delicious. Working by myself, in an unfamiliar kitchen cobbling together whatever tools I could from what's there and what I have packed in my room, and then clean-up before getting to sit down and eat, was almost 4 hours, and I'm pretty pooped for the night.

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Strawberry Streusel Muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)

INGREDIENTS
Muffin:
2/3 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 C flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 C firm ripe strawberries, hulled & chopped
Streusel Topping:
1/4 C stick butter
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 C flour
pinch of salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line regular size muffin tins with paper liners. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, and milk, mix well. Add flour, baking powder, and salt, mix until just combined. Gently fold in strawberries. Spoon into muffin cups, set aside. Combine streusel ingredients, mix until crumbly. Top batter in muffin cups with streusel. Bake for 25 minutes or until done.

EDIT: Now speaking of high, time to make some peanut butter cookies to munch on.

EDIT 2: Also have a recipe for blueberry muffins if you're one of those heathens that hate strawberries.

Last edited:
Reactions: SupahEwok

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Strawberry Streusel Muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)

INGREDIENTS
Muffin:
2/3 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 C flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 C firm ripe strawberries, hulled & chopped
Streusel Topping:
1/4 C stick butter
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 C flour
pinch of salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line regular size muffin tins with paper liners. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, and milk, mix well. Add flour, baking powder, and salt, mix until just combined. Gently fold in strawberries. Spoon into muffin cups, set aside. Combine streusel ingredients, mix until crumbly. Top batter in muffin cups with streusel. Bake for 25 minutes or until done.

EDIT: Now speaking of high, time to make some peanut butter cookies to munch on.

EDIT 2: Also have a recipe for blueberry muffins if you're one of those heathens that hate strawberries.
I'll have to try to remember that. I would like to practice baking, but its too much fat and carbs for a bachelor. But making a pan to bring to work for the coworkers sounds like a win/win...

(Also I'm a heathen who likes both strawberries and blueberries)

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
(Also I'm a heathen who likes both strawberries and blueberries)
*shrug* I haven't tried a berry that I didn't like. But you know what's really good? Strawberry and Pineapple. They pair together so nicely.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
*shrug* I haven't tried a berry that I didn't like. But you know what's really good? Strawberry and Pineapple. They pair together so nicely.
My Favorite drink! I actually love to take Pineapple juice and strawberry daiquiri mix and blend it with Ice and freeze it and eat it as an icee with a spoon. The Bromelain in Pineapple also help reduce the inflammation in my sinuses and has been a real life saver after my Sinus surgery.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Anyway, munchy man strikes again (the character limit on posts sucks EDIT: can't even post a picture of cookies for this post, upgrade "sucks" to "dogshit"):

Peanut Butter cookies

INGREDIENTS
3/4 C creamy peanut butter
1 1/4 C packed light brown sugar
1/2 C "Crisco" shortening
1 T vanilla extract
3 T milk
1 egg
1 3/4 C flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). In a large mixing bowl cream together peanut butter, Crisco, light brown sugar, milk, and vanilla. Add egg, beat until just blended. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to peanut butter mixture, mix just until combined (dough will be sticky). Scoop out dough using a 1 1/2" cookie scoop. Place 8 on an ungreased cookie sheet, and press down with a fork in a criss cross pattern. Bake for 8-10 mintues (NOTE: This is true basically for the first batch only, they tend to take less time for subsequent batches. Keep an eye on them and take them out of the oven when the bottom edges start to turn golden brown, any longer in the oven and they will be burnt and hard). Cool on cookie sheet for two minutes and then move cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

Attachments

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
Anyway, munchy man strikes again (the character limit on posts sucks EDIT: can't even post a picture of cookies for this post, upgrade "sucks" to "dogshit"):

Peanut Butter cookies

INGREDIENTS
3/4 C creamy peanut butter
1 1/4 C packed light brown sugar
1/2 C "Crisco" shortening
1 T vanilla extract
3 T milk
1 egg
1 3/4 C flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). In a large mixing bowl cream together peanut butter, Crisco, light brown sugar, milk, and vanilla. Add egg, beat until just blended. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to peanut butter mixture, mix just until combined (dough will be sticky). Scoop out dough using a 1 1/2" cookie scoop. Place 8 on an ungreased cookie sheet, and press down with a fork in a criss cross pattern. Bake for 8-10 mintues (NOTE: This is true basically for the first batch only, they tend to take less time for subsequent batches. Keep an eye on them and take them out of the oven when the bottom edges start to turn golden brown, any longer in the oven and they will be burnt and hard). Cool on cookie sheet for two minutes and then move cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
I make these all the time, they are my sweetie's favorite cookies. I put chocolate on the top when they are still slightly warm so it sticks to the top. NOM! NOM!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This is how classy I am: I was in my twenties before I realized you were supposed to keep the water when making Top Ramen. In my circle of friends and family, we always drained the water and added the spice packet to the moist noodles and mixed it in for salty deliciousness. Sure, it'll shave a good 15 to 20 years off your life, all but ensuring a stroke in your 40s, but it's worth it!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Is necroing against the rules these days? Does it count as necroing for a thread like this?

Anyway, anyone got a good chocolate chip cookie recipe? No cakey monstrosities please, I want em chewy and crunchy.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Is necroing against the rules these days? Does it count as necroing for a thread like this?

Anyway, anyone got a good chocolate chip cookie recipe? No cakey monstrosities please, I want em chewy and crunchy.
Not very original, but I've always been a fan of Nestle Toll House's recipe, except I omit the chocolate chips, and under-bake them a bit as I like them nice and chewy.

EDIT: Is necroing a thread a forum crime? I mean, if someone has something relevant to add to it, why not? If the thread is truly irrelevant, people won't respond, and it'll return to the grave; what's the harm?

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Not very original, but I've always been a fan of Nestle Toll House's recipe, except I omit the chocolate chips, and under-bake them a bit as I like them nice and chewy.

EDIT: Is necroing a thread a forum crime? I mean, if someone has something relevant to add to it, why not? If the thread is truly irrelevant, people won't respond, and it'll return to the grave; what's the harm?
Oh I've heard about them, will try them out. I've baked cookies almost a dozen times in the past 8 months, and I have yet to find the right one.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Yeah, this would have been the recipe I would have posted. Pretty good cookies.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh I've heard about them, will try them out. I've baked cookies almost a dozen times in the past 8 months, and I have yet to find the right one.
I posted the site, but since I was a kid, we always went by the recipe on their chocolate chip bag; they're probably the same, but not certain. Haven't made them in years as I've kinda outgrown sweets, but I remember making myself sick on them on multiple occasions; hope you do the same!

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
I think it's a tad more contextual. Like, I think the new conversation is solid and I'm not inclined to think of it as necroing. Whereas if it was a very time specific event (usually 4-6 months old) and wasn't anything substantive, then it would be necroing.

Anyways, I'm going to toss in this broccoli and cheese soup I made last night. If you sub out the fresh broccoli for frozen, it'll save you a bit of time steaming. It also tastes good over rice or with tortellini.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Locally Famous Breakfast Casserole

1 16 oz. tube of Jimmy Deans Hot Pork Sausage
7 eggs
5 Pillsbury Grands Butter Tastin' biscuits
8 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
1 packet of Pioneer Peppered Gravy
1 tsp. Ground Mustard
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)

1. Brown the tube of sausage; drain grease and set aside.
2. Put eggs in a bowl and whisk with milk, salt, pepper and ground mustard.
3. Cut the 5 uncooked biscuits into small pieces (roughly 9 bits per biscuit) and scatter on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 in. baking dish.
4. Sprinkle sausage over the biscuits.
5. Pour whisked egg mixture over the sausage and biscuits.
6. Sprinkle cheese over the biscuits, sausage and egg mixture.
7. Prepare gravy per the packet directions and pour over the whole dish.
8. Bake casserole at 350-degrees for roughly 45 minutes.

This is the go-to dish whenever my girlfriend and I are tasked with feeding folks in the morning. It's fast, simple and absolutely delicious.