The Escapist Film Festival 2009: Cold Turkey

Pilky

Oct 14, 2009
Thanks everyone for your comments I greatly appreciate them, the whole concept was that the shop keeper seems to be holding some sorta contest, but the question is. Why is he watching them so closely?
I apoligise if the delivery was insufficient but I promise you if I had more of an opportunity I will improve on everything you guys are telling me and hopefully make it something you can always come back to.
But nevertheless I thank you all for taking the time out to watch my video, I am very grateful.

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
Pilky said:
Thanks everyone for your comments I greatly appreciate them, the whole concept was that the shop keeper seems to be holding some sorta contest, but the question is. Why is he watching them so closely?
Was that the point of the last bit? I couldn't tell what was on the laptop screen, so I have no idea what the evil laugh was about.

SirJ

Dec 11, 2009
Ha, I liked it. "Similar to" but IMHO "much more entertaining than" the first episode of The Guild with an I think nicely subtle nod to the "Master of your domain" episode of Seinfeld cause, let's face it, gaming comes up against many varied but wholly comparable analogies to masturbation so it's nice when gamers can stop taking themselves seriously and have a laugh about it.

Good energy, decent likability of the main characters and love the Scottish accent by the way and (with a bit of spit and polish) would like to see more.

Pilky

Oct 14, 2009
irefusetoincludenumbersinthisname said:
Pilky said:
Was that the point of the last bit? I couldn't tell what was on the laptop screen, so I have no idea what the evil laugh was about.
Apoligies if it wasn't clear enough to be displayed but basically the thing on the laptop was a shot of the Gamer's house hinting that he's watching them closely. Regardless, thanks for watching.

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
Pilky said:
irefusetoincludenumbersinthisname said:
Pilky said:
Apoligies if it wasn't clear enough to be displayed but basically the thing on the laptop was a shot of the Gamer's house hinting that he's watching them closely. Regardless, thanks for watching.
Ah, okay. Before I was wondering, "What, are they just going by the honors system for how long they keep from playing video games?"

Nerf Man

Dec 12, 2009
there is something about this video that doesn't do it for me. i'm sorry but i don't think you should be this high in the vote

Rieza

Dec 11, 2009
Nerf Man said:
there is something about this video that doesn't do it for me. i'm sorry but i don't think you should be this high in the vote
In my oppinion, i think its a lot better than some of the other entrants. i really don't think the pokemon one deserves to be second... :/

and the other ones really don't have the potential to continue onwards. A good example of this being Virtual Reality. Mindless destruction to ones self is fun, but when i watched that video it just seemed "meh". An entire series of that would just be... dissapointing.

Nerf Man

Dec 12, 2009
Rieza said:
Nerf Man said:
In my oppinion, i think its a lot better than some of the other entrants. i really don't think the pokemon one deserves to be second... :/

and the other ones really don't have the potential to continue onwards. A good example of this being Virtual Reality. Mindless destruction to ones self is fun, but when i watched that video it just seemed "meh". An entire series of that would just be... dissapointing.
yeah, you do have a good point. but i think the top three should be...

dorian's quest, humor, camera, acting, but might be repetitive (yet funny)
pocket monsters also looks promising, well written, but might be repetitive.
i personally like lex talionis. it looks promising, story is interesting and the effects are good. acting could be better though.

Rieza

Dec 11, 2009
Nerf Man said:
Rieza said:
Nerf Man said:

yeah, you do have a good point. but i think the top three should be...

dorian's quest, humor, camera, acting, but might be repetitive (yet funny)
pocket monsters also looks promising, well written, but might be repetitive.
i personally like lex talionis. it looks promising, story is interesting and the effects are good. acting could be better though.

dorians quest deservs its place at the moment. good acting, highly professional with good effects. pocket monsters really does need to get its acting sorted out. When the shots are being done, it doesn't look like the actors have even thought about how the film is linking together. LINES ************ DO YOU READ THEM. xD

Lex Talionis has a lot in it as well, like this one, however they have a LOT to work on.

reese522

Sep 3, 2009
I liked the concept but there are other entries I'd prefer to vote for. Sorry and good luck to ya.

Pilky

Oct 14, 2009
Thanks for the comments
reese522 said:
I liked the concept but there are other entries I'd prefer to vote for. Sorry and good luck to ya.
Thanks for the comment and thanks for taking the time out to watch my video.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
boring scenes and story.

you need to learn how to shorten long sequences (looking to paper and then shouting "quest accepted", entering to house and switch on the lights inside, signing the paper...)
you can make longer the scenes like sitting on the tv and playing games, and give meaning to them (like mimics, dialogs, etc)
even it is a tribute to pure pwnage show, or just a fps guy stereotype, the "boom headshot guy" is not good.
actors need to do more acting. you don't need to do in hollywood standarts, but a little more acting would be ok.

also i wished story was deeper.

Pilky

Oct 14, 2009
Bonecrusherr said:
boring scenes and story.

you need to learn how to shorten long sequences (looking to paper and then shouting "quest accepted", entering to house and switch on the lights inside, signing the paper...)
you can make longer the scenes like sitting on the tv and playing games, and give meaning to them (like mimics, dialogs, etc)
even it is a tribute to pure pwnage show, or just a fps guy stereotype, the "boom headshot guy" is not good.
actors need to do more acting. you don't need to do in hollywood standarts, but a little more acting would be ok.

also i wished story was deeper.
Thanks very much for your comment and I appreicate you taking the time out to watch my video, I'll take on your advice and try and improve my videos for the future, this was my first attempt at a full blown video and I understand I need to improve. Once again thanks for at least watching my video.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Why did the music when the shop keep guy was doing the evil laugh remind me of Mass Effect?

Edit:I liked it,i would like to see more.I would even pay to see more.