The Escapist Film Festival 2009: Dorian's Quest

lookingforloper

Dec 11, 2009
luckyp said:
Homework well done, FinalCut, that's us:) And I'm totally flattered by the Emma comparison, love her! Tejeti, back at ya, fun effects and idea, and you can tell a lot of work went into it, nicely done sir (and I like your Team Rocket idea, sure I'm not alone there).

To answer the guy(s?) musing on why we had just one location, shortE is correct, we would be adding many more (as well as some fantastic SFX, spoke to some guys today just incase we get a chance to use them), didn't really need multi locations for this segment of the story tho. We shot in LA, which is riddled with all sorts of permit laws. We would have had to pony up a lot of sweet sweet moolah to shoot outdoors here or other places (or risk getting slapped with serious fines, ouch). Our budget was $0, just pulling favors from friends with equipment and skills. Regardless, thank you all for the support as well as critiques, we appreciate them all, and your time. Fun festival!
Well thank you for at least giving me an actual answer to my question. My conscience is finally starting to set in because I feel like I've said some harsh things against you guys. But it's not against you and Brett and the man with the thick glasses. You are all obviously talented at what you do. Hopefully some forgiveness can be spread.

Best of luck.

Jiveturkey124

Jan 13, 2009
So I went ahead and rewatched every one of the "Contenders" in my eyes for this competition. To be honest this is the only one i see winning and actually staying interesting for the long run. I dont think we have seen even 5% of the story yet, and I think although this is a short episode, it does exactly what it needs to as a teaser. Please let this one win and not the horribly made "Pocket monsters".

Angrypudding

Dec 11, 2009
Jiveturkey124 said:
So I went ahead and rewatched every one of the "Contenders" in my eyes for this competition. To be honest this is the only one i see winning and actually staying interesting for the long run. I dont think we have seen even 5% of the story yet, and I think although this is a short episode, it does exactly what it needs to as a teaser. Please let this one win and not the horribly made "Pocket monsters".
Horribly made. LOL Thats funny.

But seriously This show would be funny. And yea the camera's great.

But I just feel I have to agree with Loper. I'm looking for the best 5 minutes. Thats the contest... a potential series ... example in 5 minutes.

I look at Pocket Monsters... where they filmed in several diff locations. Had to do hours of effects with all the lightning.. exploding of people... lightning in glasses of Brock... Costumes for Team Rocket... Music... getting weapons together...

Then I look at Troll Etiquette which probably took hours of animation work... hours of drawing.... and a few hours of voice acting....

Then others like Spiderman in 60 seconds... which took costumes... props.. stunts... lots of involved actors... and they smashed it all down into 60 seconds.. impressive really.

Then This... 2 guys... good acting... in a room... they put a really attractive actress on their T.V. ... and.... thats it.

Its just hard for me to vote knowing that it really didn't take much effort to do this video... unless you count the acting classes.. cause the acting is REALLY good. Maybe a few hours working on a clever and funny script. (I will admit I DID LOL on this video which says a lot cause I didn't on any other videos including PM)

I mean ... it could be so much more. Thats all I'm saying. Not hatin' I've given props on several things and I do like this vid.. I just don't think it's the best one.

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
Yeah, I'm also on the "could have put more effort into it" list. The show looks great, but the script is definitely weak, too much time is spent watching the guys on the couch and worst of all it didn't made me very curious of what will happen next.

CMon

Jun 18, 2009
I really like this one. There's a lot of potential, mostly because the acting is slightly better than in all the others.

Militant_Hippie

Dec 9, 2009
Well, I think we started a fan war. In all seriousness though, great video guys. Excellent camera and effects, and the acting is much better than ours. AS far as potential there's really a lot there. I can't wait to see Galen with the quality of the work so far. :) I would definitely watch this if it were turned into a series. Best of luck guys!

Numbert

May 15, 2008
This video deserves to win, and I say that with my own video also in the contest. Voted.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
This is kinda random but my sister has that same Zelda shirt, liked the video also.

talenos

Dec 12, 2009
These guys have proven they can make a successful series and I think they setup a good intro for what could be an amazing series.

apothicflash

Dec 11, 2009
It's a funny video. The red shirted guy's acting style reminds me of Charlie Day from It's Always Sunny. But this whole video reminds me of Weird Science.

One thing that bugged me (don't know if someone's mentioned this before), but the "barrellroom" is just the same tunnel!!

IDK why but is just bugged me.

Danji

Nov 15, 2009
apothicflash said:
One thing that bugged me (don't know if someone's mentioned this before), but the "barrellroom" is just the same tunnel!!

That bugged me too. It's an entry into a film festival of one of the bastions of high quality productions on the internet and making more than one hallway screen was too much. It just seems...well, it all just seems like they didn't try a great deal.

Also, no, I'm not trying to flame. I'm really not. It's just my opinion and honestly I wish all of the entries here would get more open an honest criticism (especially mine!) So, yea, no hard feelings! :D

itsDisco

Dec 13, 2009
Danji said:
apothicflash said:

That bugged me too. It's an entry into a film festival of one of the bastions of high quality productions on the internet and making more than one hallway screen was too much. It just seems...well, it all just seems like they didn't try a great deal.

Also, no, I'm not trying to flame. I'm really not. It's just my opinion and honestly I wish all of the entries here would get more open an honest criticism (especially mine!) So, yea, no hard feelings! :D
While you are indeed entitled to your opinion, criticizing other people (not the movie you came here to watch and discuss) is something different. Just because they may have asked a question that you or I could have easily answered ourselves doesn't mean it's open for criticism.

Give us your opinion on the movie, not your opinion of someone else's statements.

lookingforloper

Dec 11, 2009
itsDisco said:
Danji said:
apothicflash said:

While you are indeed entitled to your opinion, criticizing other people (not the movie you came here to watch and discuss) is something different. Just because they may have asked a question that you or I could have easily answered ourselves doesn't mean it's open for criticism.

Give us your opinion on the movie, not your opinion of someone else's statements.
Oh, the irony! ;)

Danji

Nov 15, 2009
Irony indeed. Somebody made a post criticizing my post telling me not to criticize other peoples' posts when I WASN'T. That is amazingly ironic now that you mention it.

BTW, I agreed with Apothic because I felt the same way before his statement. I was just reminded of it by him bringing it up.

reese522

Sep 3, 2009
After watching all the entries, I have to say that this is my favourite live action entry. Good luck.

kermitthefirst

Dec 17, 2009
Short and sweet, but a nice set up. Really enjoyed it and would like to see if what can come next. Slightly worried that this might hit a brick wall a few episodes in if it continues but would love to be proved wrong. Good luck.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Very nicely done. Good camera, good acting, good script... no wonder it's near the lead. I liked it a tad better than the Pokémon vid on the lead. But now I can only think about a controller that detects it when you throw it in frustration and gives you encouragement.

...the white guy looks a lot like the guy from Psych.