The Escapist Film Festival 2009: "Inter-nettiquette" 101: Troll Control

ViolentlyHappy91

Kerrick of Long Service
Apr 16, 2009
Evil Jak said:
some of the voice acting was poor... like 0% emotion, kinda sounded like they didnt want to be there.
I know that was about me, but you'd be surprised, I actually sound like that, all the time.

dinosaur_bert

Dec 12, 2009
Erm, what to say...
Well, for starters, a very nice idea! Very original, but I'm not a great fan of it.
Mainly for the fact that the humour was rather dim, seemingly attempting too hard to make humour out of something that wasn't there. But still, I do see alot of potential for this in the future. Just one thing, I REALLY dislike that character designs, and what's with the rather...ridiculous ears? Also, I can't help but feel that this sort of show would be more at home on Newgrounds. All in all, a fairly decent show, with alot of potential, but I'm not convinced currently, ALTHOUGH I would like to see how this turns out in the future =]

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
ViolentlyHappy91 said:
Evil Jak said:
some of the voice acting was poor... like 0% emotion, kinda sounded like they didnt want to be there.
I know that was about me, but you'd be surprised, I actually sound like that, all the time.
No not really, I dont... err, I dont actually know who you are... O.O

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Insanum said:
To comment again (because i can XD) Im'ma going to get professional recording equipment (for other things, But it would work for this...i think) so if Sharphoe needs me again i can be called upon, And i was only dreary because i was speaking slow.

If sharphoe allows me to be in any of the further eps, I shall promise that if he wins, i shall put 3.4% more energy & life into every line spoken for every user that votes![/B]
And I will sing for everyone!

Hehe, advertising is fun.

Anywho Shar, I thought it was good (although I will admit I am probably biased since I know a few of the voice actors on twitter and in the groups)
But I was giggling quite a bit ^(^.^)^

reese522

Sep 3, 2009
I liked this entry but I can't see myself watching this over some of the other animated entries in this computation. Sorry.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Eh, I chuckled maybe once (at the reference to torturing other forumgoers.)

This puts me in an awkward position. I'd like to give some scathingly honest criticism, but something like this that's done as sort of a small project with a bunch of people who are somewhat well-known around here... Ah, forget it. You deserve my harsh words for your annoying little Kirbyish avatars! Feel my wrath.

The animation is poor. But whatever. I don't care about that. Fix the mic volumes. I've heard Skype chats that sounded better than that (audio quality-wise). The "lesson" you taught was something almost every forumgoer around here has heard at least once. If they weren't going to follow the advice the first time, they're not going to do it now. The execution isn't that funny. I know being original and making people laugh is hard, but I would suggest leaning less on Internet stereotypes. Things like "flame shields" are so obvious they're not really even good for a cheap laugh anymore. The conversations that occur when the "actors" break character are the best-written and funniest (relatively speaking) things the ep has going for it. I would emphasize that part more if you get a chance to take the idea further. Maybe ditch the video making/lesson teaching aspect of the show entirely. Maybe start up a mutiny? All kinds of places you could take the show if your buddies were constantly trying to undermine your authority.

That's about all I can think of for now. Remember that there's absolutely no shame in being low-budget or having cheap-looking artwork. It's all about the content of your videos (in this case, the jokes). In its current state I probably wouldn't recommend the video over the other series' on the site, but I guess in all my griping I've at least proven to myself there's a good idea in here somewhere, and the show maybe has potential.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
ViolentlyHappy91 said:
Evil Jak said:
This brings up another point that's less about the video specifically and more about The Internet and Internet videos in general:

Not everyone is a voice actor. Groups like Retsupurae are so hilarious in part because there are an overabundance of folks who let their voice be heard on the Internet without listening to themselves and deciding whether or not they sound like somebody they would like to listen to.

I'd recommend working a little more on putting emotion into your audio work. Try to see if you can get a style or cadence going which is entertaining or at least not gray and boring. I noticed at points it was hard to understand what folks were saying (because of the audio), but clearer speaking wouldn't have hurt, either.

Zetsubou J

Dec 12, 2009
This was kinda poorly executed, and the humor was outright bland. They're plenty of videos on Newgrounds that are far better; I'm not really sure why this is at #3...

Nightmist

Nov 11, 2009
Ok. This was video number 4.
Good production, although not top-notch on the humour side.
Probably won't get my vote, but good job anyway.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Hm. Well, that's some EXCELLENT animation, really, and you've got a vote from me just for that. Your voice acting's also quite good. My only real hesitation is that I find the character designs...well, uninviting. It's the way they're all so heavily personalized versions of an obscure archetype; they give it the feel of an exclusive little subculture.

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
Most videos are so abysmal that I can't sit through it more than a few seconds. Which until I watched your video, made this contest seem as it was some sort of way to torture myself.

This was very well written, thought-out, original and funny. A job well done. You get the only vote I deem worth of giving out.

Keep up the great work!