The Escapist Film Festival 2009: The Reading Corner

Fweeb

Aug 30, 2009
The Reading Corner

With games and films in such prominent position at the Escapist I feel it is high time we get our reading glasses on. To that end I have done a review of a comic I hold quite dear, Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing. I love this comic series and have found some of it's transitions rather interesting so to that end there is little in the way of furious ranting. Nevertheless I hope an honest review will suffice.
Thanks

Watch Video

Mr. Blond

Mar 4, 2009
the review and synopsis of classic comics/graphic novels is a great idea...for your series i would recommend leaving out the web-cam bits and sticking to stills

Fweeb

Aug 30, 2009
Hehe yeah, a friend of mine just told me to do something similar. I just wanted to branch away from animation style reviews to avoid obvious comparisons to the likes of Yahtzee or Moviebob, which I severely doubt I could survive. That and I suck at animating... :D

Swishdude

Nov 21, 2009
Very cool man. I just read the first issue of Swamp Thing and I was surprised at how ruthless and graphic it was. Have you by any chance looked at 'Powers' from Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming.

Also,

"Let that not deduct from the fact that he is completely bat shit insane!"

Brilliant.

Fweeb

Aug 30, 2009
Ooooh, I've not heard of that one...Time to edit my Christmas list methinks!
Thanks for the comment :D

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Been hoping the Escapist might move to some more written media (books, comics etc.) for a while now so this was nice to see. Im not gonna say get rid of talking to the camera just try and refine it some more if you get the chance (constant eye contact and the like).

"just...walk away...dont look back....is he...still?....yes he is...oh god"

awesome

Fweeb

Aug 30, 2009
Hehe thanks for the comment, one of my main problems was the poor lighting in my room, which I remedied by using the glow from my monitor. However for that to work I had to use a mainly white image- so using Microsoft Word with my script on it seemed the smartest choice. Unfortunately that also meant I looked at the screen a wee bit too much, but ah well.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Personally, I quite liked the fact that we could see your face more unlike other video reviewers, but I think a better quality camera would've helped.

I like this idea, personally. Graphic novels/ literature in general are something I've been trying to get more and more into over the years and I think this could help with that. I must say that when I first noticed this I was execting more of a review than an informing piece on it (I'm not sure whether or not that was your intention), but it was still very interesting to watch. And I think I may have Swamp Thing somewhere in my house, I've just never gotten round to reading it.

Also, have you ever heard of The Mindscape of Alan Moore [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mindscape_of_Alan_Moore]? It's a documentary about the batshit insane mind of Alan Moore and from what I hear it's quite interesting to watch.

Fweeb

Aug 30, 2009
Yeah the camera wasn't great, I'll admit, but thanks for the comments. I actually had alot more of a review in my initial 9 minutes of footage, but due to the large amount of cutting and the fact that Swamp Thing is rather obscure I kept finding that I had to talk quite abit about the actual plot.
iirc most of The Mindscape of Alan Moore can be found right on Youtube, but I haven't exactly watched it for about a year or something so that could have changed by now.

Oh and awesome avatar :p
If any whores or politicians look up and shout "Save us!", be sure to look down and wish them a merry christmas...

Fweeb

Aug 30, 2009
Al, I have to say, that I love you more each time you insult me. Eventually I'll just break down and start humping your leg, you sexy northern man...
Oh yeah, also,; would you be kind enough to stfu and gtfo before I have to pwn you again.
That will be all.
:p