The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Arcadia's Fight

ilikefilms

Jan 15, 2010
greenflash said:
were would you like your Like Doomsday Arcade But Stamp?
but really that was good and had a good fight and i find the basic story good yet unoriginal.
''

Glad you liked the fight and that you thought the story was good. I appreciate your honesty in what things were lacking in your eyes. The story will get bigger and more characters will be added with future episodes and hopefully take it in a direction you weren't expecting. Thanks for your comment.

ilikefilms

Jan 15, 2010
BrianX said:
Awesome fight scene and well acted throughout. It will be very interesting to see where you guys take the main character next! Some more back-story on the main character would be awesome and help viewers to grow more attached to her and care about her more. Other-wise, ya got my vote!
Thanks for your comments and thoughts. Glad you liked the fight scene and acting. We have plans for future episodes to go more into who Arcadia is and what makes her the "chosen one." We really appreciate you telling us what you thought of the video. :)

Jimtopia

Slaving away over a hot laptop.
Oct 3, 2008
Honestly, this was a very well put together submission! Lovely acting, good editing, a solid script, and an awesome fight scene. A solid entry! This is definitely one of my top picks, and I think you seriously have a shot at winning this thing. I'd love to see more.

ilikefilms

Jan 15, 2010
Jimtopia said:
Honestly, this was a very well put together submission! Lovely acting, good editing, a solid script, and an awesome fight scene. A solid entry! This is definitely one of my top picks, and I think you seriously have a shot at winning this thing. I'd love to see more.
Thanks, Jimtopia! We're so glad you liked it and that you think it's a "solid entry." We hope we have a shot! Please get others to vote for it.

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
I honestly find this a little unbelieveable. I mean, aside from the Portalverse thing (which is actually kind of cool). It's just kind of hard for me to swallow that Arcadia (which is a serious Mary Sue name, I really hope it's just her call name) played a bunch of video games and now she can fight the Hadoyken (or however you spell it) guy without breaking a sweat.

The fight choreography was impressive, but for some reason the main character grates against me and I wasn't terribly amused by it. Great work and good luck, but I'm afraid I'll have to pass.

ilikefilms

Jan 15, 2010
Moon_Called said:
I honestly find this a little unbelieveable. I mean, aside from the Portalverse thing (which is actually kind of cool). It's just kind of hard for me to swallow that Arcadia (which is a serious Mary Sue name, I really hope it's just her call name) played a bunch of video games and now she can fight the Hadoyken (or however you spell it) guy without breaking a sweat.

The fight choreography was impressive, but for some reason the main character grates against me and I wasn't terribly amused by it. Great work and good luck, but I'm afraid I'll have to pass.
Thanks for your honest feedback. We're glad you enjoyed elements of it. We tried to replicate many of the moves from Street Fighter as possible, so it would make sense she could respond appropriately in the fight. Her character is basically like the guy from the movie The Last Starfighter, where she's been training for these encounters all along by playing and learning about video games. There are elements of Neo from The Matrix("I know Kung Fu!") and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. As the story progresses we'll learn more about why and how she's able to defeat these bad guys.

We really appreciate you telling us what you think. We're just glad to be in such great company with all the other great videos in the festival. :)

King Kool

Sep 26, 2010
For me, this one is in the C+ range in most categories. People like the fight, but I thought it wasn't so impressive. It's obvious the participants are skilled at their respective martial arts, but that doesn't immediately translate to a good fight scene. It should either be shot with more style, or better practiced so it can flow better.

Furthermore, the character you've created, I'm sorry to say, is obnoxious. You see those movies on the SciFi channel, and the script has been written at the speed of thought, so every character just says the meanest thing possible, and they call that characterization. With only one character, it doesn't reach that frustrating level, but it could stand to be toned down, or at least made less generic (she can be obnoxious if that is made interesting).

This show has action and comedy, but both of them are kinda struggling. I would focus on improving the action, because good action is harder to come by and you're very close.

TheNoirGuy

Feb 24, 2008
I thought this was pretty funny and no matter what other people say, good fight choreography is hard to manage! Did you have a special choreographer or did you manage it from watching videogames? I liked, "electrocute that mofo!" the best. Good luck!

mm2publish

Oct 23, 2010
King Kool said:
For me, this one is in the C+ range in most categories. People like the fight, but I thought it wasn't so impressive. It's obvious the participants are skilled at their respective martial arts, but that doesn't immediately translate to a good fight scene. It should either be shot with more style, or better practiced so it can flow better.

Furthermore, the character you've created, I'm sorry to say, is obnoxious. You see those movies on the SciFi channel, and the script has been written at the speed of thought, so every character just says the meanest thing possible, and they call that characterization. With only one character, it doesn't reach that frustrating level, but it could stand to be toned down, or at least made less generic (she can be obnoxious if that is made interesting).

This show has action and comedy, but both of them are kinda struggling. I would focus on improving the action, because good action is harder to come by and you're very close.
And exactly where is your video there King Kool?

King Kool

Sep 26, 2010
mm2publish said:
King Kool said:

And exactly where is your video there King Kool?
...that seems a strange question to ask in this topic, but it's in there. You just gotta watch 'em and find it.

Where's yours?

PS: let me reiterate that this one isn't bad at all, but it has a few problems I wanted to address.

ilikefilms

Jan 15, 2010
King Kool said:

Thanks for you input, King Kool! The episode is definitely a start to something bigger. The next episode would involve her fighting a big enemy. The Arcadia character will be have more challenges with future episodes and be less confident in what's going on. In the fight scene we spent more trying to emulate moves found in the game. We appreciated hearing your observations on our little film.

ilikefilms

Jan 15, 2010
TheNoirGuy said:
I thought this was pretty funny and no matter what other people say, good fight choreography is hard to manage! Did you have a special choreographer or did you manage it from watching videogames? I liked, "electrocute that mofo!" the best. Good luck!
Thanks, TheNoirGuy! We had a blast creating it. I worked with a fellow director friend Micah Moore and actor Brian Lee. They both have worked with stunt actors and fight choreographers from California. Micah directed the action film Dogs of Chinatown and the current videogame mashup series Modern War Gear Solid. Brian Lee has acted in both of this properties. Alena also acted in the MWGS series. We tried to replicate some of the moves and blocks found in the game. We really appreciate your nice comment!

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
It was alright I guess. My main concern is the quite uncanny likeness to the story of Doomsday Arcade. That series has left a void which can never be filled. Seeing your episode here is like have having a member of your family die and then a year later finding a Walrus at home pretending to be that person. I don't mean to offend you but you see how that could be distressing to the more hardcore Doomsday fans like myself.

ilikefilms

Jan 15, 2010
Chech said:
It was alright I guess. My main concern is the quite uncanny likeness to the story of Doomsday Arcade. That series has left a void which can never be filled. Seeing your episode here is like have having a member of your family die and then a year later finding a Walrus at home pretending to be that person. I don't mean to offend you but you see how that could be distressing to the more hardcore Doomsday fans like myself.
No offense taken, Chech. I can understand being a big fan of something. I'm a big fan of Star Wars and when I saw the movie Eragon I saw a cookiecutter version of all the characters and plot. I think the premises between AF and DA are similar, but the similarities end there, because they are different approaches and different stories. I'm wondering if people had the same problem with "A Good Knight's Quest" which essentially is the same premise, "game characters escape into the real world." We appreciate you sharing your honest opinion and hope we could win you over with future episodes.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
ilikefilms said:
Chech said:
No offense taken, Chech. I can understand being a big fan of something. I'm a big fan of Star Wars and when I saw the movie Eragon I saw a cookiecutter version of all the characters and plot. I think the premises between AF and DA are similar, but the similarities end there, because they are different approaches and different stories. I'm wondering if people had the same problem with "A Good Knight's Quest" which essentially is the same premise, "game characters escape into the real world." We appreciate you sharing your honest opinion and hope we could win you over with future episodes.
I do feel the animosity towards Good Knights Quest for that one reason.... And that it's rubbish.... But lets not get into that. I do think that with some good character development and maybe expanding on the story, it does have some potential. To be fair, I went on to watch some more of the videos in the festival and yours were amongst the better ones. Good luck all the same.

ilikefilms

Jan 15, 2010
Chech said:
ilikefilms said:
Chech said:
I do feel the animosity towards Good Knights Quest for that one reason.... And that it's rubbish.... But lets not get into that. I do think that with some good character development and maybe expanding on the story, it does have some potential. To be fair, I went on to watch some more of the videos in the festival and yours were amongst the better ones. Good luck all the same.
Thanks, Chech!

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
I don't know if it it is good or bad either. The idea may work, it may not work. I am not sure of what was going on, it has the potential to go bad much like "A Good Knights Quest". On the same token it has the potential to be "Doomsday Arcade" good. You need to find your own voice. If it can have a hook like humor(which "Doomsday Arcade" had) or development of characters. Something to keep me watching, right now trying to figure what is going on seems to be the case. It be neat to see more, but I have no idea if I want to see more at this point.

ilikefilms

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks to everyone who's viewed Arcadia's Fight and voted for it. We had a great time making it and would hope that Escapist picks it to have a contract. Even if the outcome doesn't go our way, we're still looking to make into a web series.

Good luck to everyone in the contest!! We're proud to be among all the great entries this year. Thanks to the Escapist Magazine for giving us the opportunity to show off our little film to the Escapist audience. :) You guys ROCK!!