The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Before It Was Film... - Fight Club

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
Before It Was Film... - Fight Club

In the past decade alone, over 400 books and literary works have been adapted for movies. This series is about those adaptations, both new and old.

Watch Video

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
Freebird. said:
God, I'm having trouble watching this.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. Pretty good actually, but can't anyone think of a way to make their reviews look different. Zero Punctuation, Escape to the Movie and Extra Credits already share a similar style and we don't need another one.

The actual review was fine, I'd just have liked it a lot more if it looked somewhat original.
There are a lot of things that separate it from ZP et al., in my opinion. It has a different color scheme, a different way of presenting information (I took a ton of snapshots from the movie, whereas MovieBob prefers using clips/clip art, and ZP and EC both use original animation) and different content. There's some crossover, sure, but that's more because it's a slideshow review; like anything else there will be baseline techniques for presenting information. Just because it's in the same genre, though, does not make it the same.

Thanks for the comment though, and I appreciate that you otherwise liked the review. =)

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
Interesting. It would be nice to see a series dealing with books on the site. Good review overall, just need a few teaks with the microphone and volume. Hope you win!

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
What happened to the volume at the end?

This seems cool, but are there really going to be enough things to talk about after only a week to get into the topic? Still, I'd watch more.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i liked it allot, you do need a better microphone, all your Ps made that annoying sound which i dont know enough about sounds to name, but i call it online unintentional face spitting, but as i said i did enjoy it, especially since i have never read the books that many of my favourite movies are based on, i have really dry hands and holding paper feels annoying.

you got my vote ^^

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
Might need to invest in a better mic. Your voice was fluctuating a little too much in volume.
My mic literally fell apart the day after I submitted this. So yes, I would need a new one =P

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
I love that you're doing a book thing. That's really good and I would like to see you be able to do more of these. My only concern is that is too similar to MoveBob aesthetics and Zero Punctuation tone, speed, etc. Although, that being said, if you could drastically remake your presentation and delivery style, I would fucking love you to win. It just seems too similar to other content on here already and that is a real shame because it's actually quite a unique idea.... Slightly paradoxical I know but you see where I'm coming from?

Dan E

Jun 16, 2010
you and the chick who did the TV reviewing are both really great at review new things for the escapist.The book idea is fantastic but the similarities of other escapist videos is just eery and well change the presentation and you should win.

Kennisiou

Mar 18, 2010
I really like the concept for the series. Novels are a huge medium, with a much larger history than any of the other media that The Escapist reviews, meaning that worthwhile novel review series will have a duty to do a lot more than just talk about new releases -- a good review series will also talk about old novels that didn't make the sort of impact they should've, overrated past works, and even whole literary periods. Focusing on just novels that have been turned into movies gives you a broad set of novels from many points in time to review, while still giving your series a strong sense of cohesion.

The main reason I don't feel like this is top quality, though, is because, well... You're pretty clearly modeling your reviews after MovieBob, and you're not doing it well. Don't get me wrong, MovieBob is a great person to look at when trying to do a review series. His pacing and editing are great, he clearly has an educated background and constantly brings up points that more casual viewers overlook (I honestly thought of Roland Emerich movies being on par with Michael Bay movies until MovieBob brought the brilliant cinematography to my attention. Viewing the films again, I have to agree that his comparison between Keebler cookies and homemade cookies was astute and accurate, I guess I'm not a cookie guy when it comes to movies), and he's entertaining. In short, I'm totally comfortable with people trying to use this model because it's well-made and has stood the test of time. I feel like your main issue was that you didn't do it well.

MovieBob has a strong background in criticism. He's read other critic's works, and probably about more than movies, too. He constantly reminds me of the literary criticism techniques I learned in highschool and college lit classes, and as a former English major, I really do enjoy that sort of thing. It was mostly in this area where I felt like you fell short. You devoted too much time to talking about how things are "just like when the book came out" and not enough time applying what the book says about those times to the modern era. You didn't make that discussion worth it. I feel like you need some more practice and polish. I don't know if you're a college student or a highschool student but either way if you haven't already I suggest you take some classes in critical literary theory. Learning close reading techniques and applying them better is what could transform this from the best video to not make it to first cut into one of the top contenders. I really do hope to see another video in this series in next year's festival, and if you can strike the sort of balance between intelligent discussion of the movie's merits and passionately talking about its emotionally resonant points then, well, you'll be a great addition to the Escapist staff.

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
I'm actually an English major undergrad myself, and I have taken some lit crit classes. I definitely wanted to point out more of the minutia of the book - the narrator's self-effacement expressed through formal techniques (such as the lack of quotation marks for his speech), a more in-depth look at how he (and Tyler) contradict their pseudo-communist message through their actions, a comparison of the structure of Project Mayhem to the structure of the Ministries of Oceania in 1984 and whether the parallels were intentional, etc. - but I just ran out of time to talk about everything the book has to say. It was either go in-depth about a few aspects and sacrifice the bigger points or break it down to mostly bullet points and sacrifice more meaningful criticism. That was partially the fault of the massive introduction (which was there entirely to establish viewer relevance), and as I said elsewhere, if I had the chance to do it again I'd probably do things differently.

Kennisiou

Mar 18, 2010
Well, I'm glad to hear that you do have recognize some areas to improve and that you seem to have seen most of them before I actually brought them up. Like I said, the series has promise, I just think you needed to work on the episode more before uploading it for the contest. This is definitely the sort of thing I want to see.

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
Kennisiou said:
Well, I'm glad to hear that you do have recognize some areas to improve and that you seem to have seen most of them before I actually brought them up. Like I said, the series has promise, I just think you needed to work on the episode more before uploading it for the contest. This is definitely the sort of thing I want to see.
Well, I do plan on entering again next year. Thanks for the great feedback =)

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
I enjoyed this much more than the other book-review girl who entered. Your style is similar to MovieBob without forcing images of half-naked woman into my face (but I've complained about that enough), and thus could use some more work on originality. Serious audio issues, but you're aware of that.
A book review would be great for the Escapist, so I hope they take a good look at you.

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
Just wanted to mention (while I still have a semblance of a bully pulpit) that if any of you guys liked this video, I'll be continuing them up on my website [http://www.completelyfictional.com] even if I don't win the contest. SO THERE IS HOPE FOR YOU ALL.