The Escapist Film Festival 2010: They Old

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
They Old

No longer will the classics be overlooked.

A series of game reviews focusing on such standards as poker, checkers, musical chairs, swimming and masturbation, hosted by the most clueless cat of all: Professor Abner Somersault. Aimed towards all humans who ever felt the need to shorten the perceived passage of time between one activity and the other

In this episode: Chess.

Watch Video

fonfa

Nov 2, 2010
That was a great review. Gonna give this "chess" game a shot. Do you know where I can find some gameshark codes for it?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
you need to speak a little more clearly, otherwise, it was pretty funny. I'll look forward to more episodes.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Really good video!

I would love to see more, but please, for the love of God, invest in a real microphone of decent quality. It would make a huge difference in enjoying your wonderfully crafted humor.
Man, i'm gonna cry! I thought everyone just hated it! I'm being a big woman now, i know, but I'm so happy, i'll sleep like a baby tonight! Thanks so very much!

Oh, and I'll be sure to do something about the mic.

Annexis

Nov 18, 2009
That was gold. Pure gold. Gold like the chains on the black king! Holla! Really, new microphone and you're set!

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
Annexis said:
That was gold. Pure gold. Gold like the chains on the black king! Holla! Really, new microphone and you're set!
You know what? When I get me some money I WILL do the "World Hug Tour" to hug all you guys. I was tottally bummed that I wasn't getting any feedback and now I feel like I can fucking fly! You've made me happy, you will all go to heaven for this.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
Annexis said:
BTW, you guys made such an awesome and professional video. Like, when I saw it for the first time (it was one of the first ones I watched) I was tottally embarassed that I had submitted such an amateurish thing, I even wished I could like, delete my video from the gallery!

marginal

Mar 21, 2009
I agree with everyone that the audio needs help. I will also agree that the video was hilarious.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
marginal said:
I agree with everyone that the audio needs help. I will also agree that the video was hilarious.
Thanks a lot, man!

I gave an excuse for the sound thing on the "vote now" forum (basically, I live below the Equator - And it ain't Australia or New Zealand either) but now that I've seen how much it's getting in the way of the other elements I'll build up the guts to ask my friend to use his home studio for the next episode.

VictoryBoogie

Oct 31, 2010
All it needed was some more work on the audio and I'd be worried for the guys on the front page. Really well written, (or improvised? I couldn't tell) keep it up man, if you do some more, I'd love to see it.

And book me a ticket on the "World Hug Tour".

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
I'm just glad that everyone seems to be having a good time with my video, which really is more than I could ever ask for. It sucks that the audio and animation ended up so crappy because I'm getting the feel I would have a real chance otherwise.

Anyway, I'm plugging here my youtube channel where I'll be posting subsequent episodes if anyone wants to follow up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz_gYvObkgc

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
VictoryBoogie said:
All it needed was some more work on the audio and I'd be worried for the guys on the front page. Really well written, (or improvised? I couldn't tell) keep it up man, if you do some more, I'd love to see it.

And book me a ticket on the "World Hug Tour".
It's all written! I'm writing the second episode now actually - It will be about hopscotch. Thanks so much for watching it and giving me feedback!

You, sir, are booked for a hug! A big one!

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Although he could use a better microphone, the main problem with the audio was that it was over-compressed. It sounded like 32Kbit MP3.

[em]Never[/em] record reference tracks compressed. Record in 16-bit 44.1KHz WAV or better, and don't compress until the last possible moment when you render the video.

I like the concept. And I was [em]very[/em] impressed with the lip syncing. What tool did you use?

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
ewhac said:
Although he could use a better microphone, the main problem with the audio was that it was over-compressed. It sounded like 32Kbit MP3.

[em]Never[/em] record reference tracks compressed. Record in 16-bit 44.1KHz WAV or better, and don't compress until the last possible moment when you render the video.

I like the concept. And I was [em]very[/em] impressed with the lip syncing. What tool did you use?
Thank you! I just drew seven different mouths - A set of open, closed and showing teeth for his "sad" face and a set for his "happy" face, and a round one for both - and swapped one for the other according to the audio track, a robot could have done it. Actually, I drew fourteen mouths - Seven for when he's far, seven for when he's close - Because I had the amazing foresight of drawing it all in bitmap, not vector, so I had to do everything twice. I'm looking with stockholm to find out if they wanna give me a nobel prize for that.

I wish I had a robot though because it was a huge goddamn pain in the ass.

Anyway, I honestly don't really care about the technical stuff. I mean, it sucks because it does get in the way of the experience. Like, if there wasn't any technicalities, you would pay attention only to the video and not to the crappy sound and animation. I was a lot more worried though in making sure that it was funny and made people happy, so I'm really REALLY happy to see that at least that I have achieved to some extent. Though apparently not with you because you just "liked the concept", which is unfortunate. Maybe you'll like the next eps better!

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
ewhac said:

Oh, and it was 32k mp3. I don't know shit about sound editing so thanks a lot for the tips!

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
hugh_godolphin said:
Oh, and it was 32k mp3. I don't know shit about sound editing so thanks a lot for the tips!
If you recorded in 32K MP3, it almost sounds like you used some cheesy media program that came pre-installed with your PC with all the defaults set wrong (and probably rhymes with "Windows Media Player").

Grab yourself a copy of Audacity [http://audacity.sourceforge.net/] and muck around with it for a while.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
ewhac said:
hugh_godolphin said:
If you recorded in 32K MP3, it almost sounds like you used some cheesy media program that came pre-installed with your PC with all the defaults set wrong (and probably rhymes with "Windows Media Player").

Grab yourself a copy of Audacity [http://audacity.sourceforge.net/] and muck around with it for a while.
Will give it a shot, thanks!