The Escapist Has A New Parent Company (Again), But It's All Good!

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Hey folks,

Been a while since I've popped into the forums. Life has just been very busy between work, buying my first house a couple months ago, and then the surprise of news that Enthusiast Gaming was selling off their editorial division to Gamurs, who is now our new parent company.

Thankfully it's all been good news so far. We didn't have to let anyone go, and this new parent company's only focus is on the media business and aren't public, which is good news for us because... well, let's just say the shareholders of Enthusiast Gaming didn't care about anything we were doing. Yay, corporate media.

Anyways, all of our operations are continuing as normal, and Gamurs is excited about what we've built with The Escapist over the last few years and we're putting plans together right now to actually help grow things here.

Can you believe that we had three years of significant growth in revenue, profitable even, and never received any further investment from Enthusiast? Yea.

You can read the press release of the acquisition here, but if you have any questions that aren't insider gossip related, I'll be happy to answer what I can. Right now, we're in the transition stage though, so won't be able to answer a whole lot at the moment in regards to requests or new features until we really get rolling here soon.

GAMURS Group Acquires 6 New Gaming & Esports Publications | GAMURS Group

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Will the forums be changing in any meaningful way and will some of the functionality that seems to have broken, like whispers be fixed by them?

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Will the forums be changing in any meaningful way and will some of the functionality that seems to have broken, like whispers be fixed by them?
Yea, we have clean-up to do here. I gave up on Enthusiast really fixing anything with the website last year, so I apologize personally for that, but it was just a mental health sink for me to keep making promises that things would get sorted and then not have it happen over and over again.

Lots of work to be done to the website / forums (we never even got ads on here lol). Stay tuned on that.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yea, we have clean-up to do here. I gave up on Enthusiast really fixing anything with the website last year, so I apologize personally for that, but it was just a mental health sink for me to keep making promises that things would get sorted and then not have it happen over and over again.

Lots of work to be done to the website / forums (we never even got ads on here lol). Stay tuned on that.
Considering how much traffic the forums seem to get, that is understandable. Plus, you gotta take care of your mental state. I'm ok with ads staying away, works for me, but having more integration with the stories on the main site would be cool. Like, we don't even have weekly posts about the weeks ZP showing up here and that should be a given.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm ok with ads staying away, works for me
Lol, of course you are, but as it is there is literally no incentive for them to put any work into the forums at all. They don't make any money off the ~50 people that come here outside of maybe 2 Escapist+ memberships. If they ran ads they can at least say "we want to build up the forums to increase ad revenue." Then that fabled forum integration with the main site will make some sort of sense.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The videos section of the website seems to have disappeared in a puff of 404. What’s the story there?