The Escapist Presents: Magic the Gathering Challenge Guide

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Magic the Gathering Challenge Guide

How to beat three of the challenges in Duels of of the Planeswalkers 2012.

Watch Video

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I was way too lazy to try and figure out the hardest 3 challenges in the game and ended up using Gamefaqs. I like the idea of the challenges, but I honestly think they can be a little to crazy later on simply because of the lack of context you are given. Its one thing to come up with a strategy to win an impossible situation after you have played a whole game, but when you are dropped right into the end-game turn with a million cards in play it can be really daunting.

Also, they really should not have done challenges for Arch-enemy mode... there is just way too much happening >.>

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
AngryMongoose said:
What's the music from? Feels like I recognise it but...

Edit: The Elder Scrolls remix?
Yeah, pretty sure its TES.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
That's totally Call of Magic, which is the TES theme.
And I thought this would be an Escapist-wide MTG tourney, but oh well.

Cool nonetheless, and informative.

Cabal_Therapist

Feb 3, 2010
Man, I really like the challenges in the Duels games, they remind me of the old ones you used to get in the magazines, of course with those you wouldn't really know if you'd done it right till the next month.

I haven't got Duels 2012 yet, but I enjoyed the ones in the first Duels and these seem to be just as good.

ArchEnemy challenges... that sounds tricky

Leonhart321

Mar 15, 2010
Two points:

1. Yes please on the showing of more challenges.

2. Nicol Bolas is a dragon, not a vampire, despite his whole "wanting to absorb all the power he can ever get his hands on" stick

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Well, the challenges can be fun but the thing is that you don't run into similar situations in the actual duels due to lack of customization.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Fappy said:
I like the idea of the challenges, but I honestly think they can be a little to crazy later on simply because of the lack of context you are given.
Well that's part of the fun, there is a winning play in there somewhere and you probably need to thinking well outside the box to find it.

My only gripe with them is when I find another way to win but you are forced to repeat because you didn't win in that exact turn (sure, some of them specify this condition, but damn if after a few attempts I so want to have any way of winning be correct). Nicol Bolas does lovingly smack you with Cruel Ultimatum to reinforce that no really you need to beat him this turn.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Leonhart321 said:
Two points:

2. Nicol Bolas is a dragon, not a vampire, despite his whole "wanting to absorb all the power he can ever get his hands on" stick
Let's split the difference and call him a vampire dragon. Even if it isn't true, it's cool sounding.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Slycne said:
Fappy said:
I like the idea of the challenges, but I honestly think they can be a little to crazy later on simply because of the lack of context you are given.
Well that's part of the fun, there is a winning play in there somewhere and you probably need to thinking well outside the box to find it.

My only gripe with them is when I find another way to win but you are forced to repeat because you didn't win in that exact turn (sure, some of them specify this condition, but damn if after a few attempts I so want to have any way of winning be correct). Nicol Bolas does lovingly smack you with Cruel Ultimatum to reinforce that no really you need to beat him this turn.
Yeah, I noticed a few situations that would have granted a victory the following turn as well. Kind of wish they allowed more freedom in the later challenges.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Leonhart321 said:
Two points:

Let's split the difference and call him a vampire dragon. Even if it isn't true, it's cool sounding.
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/od/296.jpg

OT: Good video sir. I personally wouldn't mind a video for the Archenemy challenges....though I really would hate myself for watching it. Took me forever to beat the regular challenges, and god dammit I refuse to let this game win!

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
nice video, i probably wont watch any more solutions videos because i'll want to figure them out myself but this has definatly gotten me interested in the game, i didnt really like duels 2011 but this and some of the other new modes look really interesting

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
666Chaos said:
Slycne said:
Fappy said:

The problem is you dont know if you will loose on his turn because in many of them you very well could.
That's actually why I thought Nicol's Cruel Ultimatum is a nice touch, I remember at least one of them was a case where I had cleared their board, was sitting on one or more buffed creatures, hand advantage, etc and you still loose because you didn't beat them in one turn. Even if it was "oh look I pulled a Blaze, haha you loose" at least then there is no second guessing if you would win or not on the next turn.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Nicol Bolas is an [a href="http://magiccards.info/fvd/en/10.html"]Elder Dragon[/a] and a [a href="http://magiccards.info/cfx/en/120.html"]Planeswalker[/a]. It's [a href="http://magiccards.info/m12/en/109.html"]Sorin Markov[/a] that's the Vampire.

And those three challenges were some of the easier ones. The Archenemy ones really had me scratching my head...

Sexy Street

Sep 15, 2009
For the Record, Nicol Bolas is not a dragon nor is he a vampire. He is a dragon-planeswalker and if he was to be considered a dragon (as in a normal dragon0 then he would be considered one of the five elder dragons (six arguably because there was supposed to be a cousin of one of them that was erased from existence or enslaved or something).
The challenges are really fun, but I would love for them to tell me how to do the archenemy ones.

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
I did have an issue with one challenge where I had to
sacrifice all my creatures to Bloodhtrone Vampire
, but once I found the "hold priority" option that was fine. It'd be easy to execute playing in real life, but the timer kept screwing me up with the video game.

Leonhart321

Mar 15, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Leonhart321 said:
Two points:

I can live with this XD