The Escapist Presents March Mayhem: Developers' Showdown 2008

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Congrats to Turbine!

REDPill357 said:
What the heck? I've never even HEARD of Turbine before? And how did Harmonix beat out Valve?
Alot of the votes came from people outside of the Escapist community, Turbine even advertised the contest on their log-in console.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
REDPill357 said:
What the heck? I've never even HEARD of Turbine before? And how did Harmonix beat out Valve?
They have a pretty strong community it seems. I wonder if both developers being from Boston had anything to do with it...hmmmmmm

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
nightfish said:
Yea turned out to be a complete farce in the end but such is the way of these things nowadays
A farce? Just because Turbine enthusiasticaly participated?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
As appalled as I am that Turbine won (and believe me, I am deeply appalled), I give them kudos for getting into the spirit of the thing, mobilizing their fans and having some fun with it. Maybe next time we'll see some of that enthusiasm from the other devs.

ingsoc

Feb 12, 2008
There are either more stupid people out there than I previously thought or this contest was fixed. Harmonix over Valve? WTF. They are the worst developer of the bunch. They have yet to even produce a mediocre game much less a great one.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
ingsoc said:
There are either more stupid people out there than I previously thought or this contest was fixed. Harmonix over Valve? WTF. They are the worst developer of the bunch. They have yet to even produce a mediocre game much less a great one.
I was going to jump into a ti raid about your statement, but I'll let you look at it one more time before I do...

Enough time? Okay...here we go.

If you were part of the tournament at all you would see that the developers that actually got their communities into it (*points at Malygris for being correct on his part*) ended up doing the best. This is why ALL the #1 seeds lost! The bigger companies may sell a lot of games, but I honestly don't think they have the community support a smaller developer does. If you go back through, Double Fine lost to Valve, but only by a handful of votes and they were a #14 seed. How does that happen? You are only as strong as your community and Double Fine called their army, however small, to arms.

As for The Escapist "fixing" this tournament, I honestly don't think a respected site would do that. Not to mention it doesn't benefit anyone by doing so.

As for you thinking Harmonix sucks, well, that is your opinion but I think you'll find a lot more people who voted during the tournament to disagree with you. Personally I think Rock Band is a riot, regardless of how many little pukes think they can play the guitar now.

As for your comment about more stupid people being out there, I totally agree but thankfully only a couple have found this site.

Banaticus

Jan 26, 2008
"Valve ran through the East and barely lost in a squeaker against Harmonix in the semis."

It's too bad Valve didn't get a chance to pit itself against Harmonix this year, 2009, as they were in different divisions this time.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
I think its safe to say Zynga had the toughest schedule this year.

Kudos to them for becoming the story of the tourney.