The Escapist Presents: The Escapist Report: War Games

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
The Escapist Report: War Games

Games of war, an insider's look on what makes them so fascinating.

Watch Video

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
From the title, I was hoping it'd be about (strategic) wargames -- not games in a war setting. More Panzer General or Hearts of Iron than Call of Duty.

But this is a pretty good look into what the games actually offer, and how they are accepted by soldiers.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
interesting, im disappointed to see that some companies are afraid to express them self artistically by making a now and/or a +/- 2-5 years game, im not sure when modern warfare 2 takes place since im not really in to CoD's multiplayer and 60 euro for 6 hours is a bit much, but ill definitely pick up six days in fallujah.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Believability... very important. Modern Warfare's 2 presentation and execution is excellent, but the storyline sucks. The notion of a massive, surprise russian invasion on the U.S. is totally out of wack. But I guess they needed an excuse to have a war on american soil.
A nuclear missile accidentally taking out the international space station is just as ridiculous. MW2 reminds me alot of "Independence Day". Outrageously stupid plot events to justify a storyline dripping with pathos, drama and patriotism. It's a shame because it starts out rather well.

jordik said:
From the title, I was hoping it'd be about (strategic) wargames -- not games in a war setting.
Dito. I believe "Wargames" usually means strategic wargames.

StANDY1338

Sep 25, 2006
Really interesting. I do agree that people need some form of sudo violence in their lives or they resort to violence.

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
i want a studio one day that will have enough balls to make a war game where you play as the villain. and not something that is some cartoony bullshit (see overlord) i'm talking about an historically accurate depiction of an (what we would call)enemy side. regardless of whether that side wins or loses in the actual game the story would be pretty epic, and if that's what developers are challenging themselves with, then i say why not.

now this is an extreme example but why not a game where you play under hitler's regime as a nazi soldier. i mean they would lose. don't get me wrong, you'd be playing a game where you know defeat is inevitable. yet could you imagine seeing (or playing) a story where at one point victory is almost certain, as well as all the godlike splendor that was promised, to only have everything turn on you. imagine what a talented story writer and talented voice actor could give us in terms of an emotional experience. if you thought the emotions that arose in the COD games or other war games we can't even imagine the emotions that would bring up fighting not only as one of the most hated people in the world but on a losing side of war at that.

i'm just saying it would be interesting is all.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
paralost said:
Now this is an extreme example but why not a game where you play under hitler's regime as a nazi soldier?
That would be an interesting game. The story of the Third Reich is always told from the outsider perspective: they did this to these people and that to those people and they were totally evil. But that's not what they told themselves. It would be interesting to have a game where the player's character is spoon-fed all the Nazi propaganda as he goes through Poland, France, the Eastern Front, the Western Front, and gradually discovers that it's all a lie.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Team Hollywood said:
The Escapist Report: War Games

Games of war, an insider's look on what makes them so fascinating.

Watch Video
Bill Hunt (If I got that name right, I'm referring to the narrator), if you're not already, GO PROFESSIONAL VOICEOVER GUY

Really, you sound smoooth :D

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
"Preparing Future Recruits Simulator 2009" that's a greeeeaaaat game name. i'd add console for some propaganda for consumers... instead of PC lol

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
swaki said:
interesting, im disappointed to see that some companies are afraid to express them self artistically by making a now and/or a +/- 2-5 years game, im not sure when modern warfare 2 takes place since im not really in to CoD's multiplayer and 60 euro for 6 hours is a bit much, but ill definitely pick up six days in fallujah.
No you won' pick up Six Days in Fallujah because it got canned.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
It would be interesting to have a game where the player's character is spoon-fed all the Nazi propaganda as he goes through Poland, France, the Eastern Front, the Western Front, and gradually discovers that it's all a lie.
Agree with the first idea; but why have them realise it is all a lie? I'm sure many German soldiers went through the entire war, still confidently believing all the propaganda. Perhaps it would be all the more poignant when you have a patriotic soldier whom you know is not working for the greater good, yet never-the-less, the gamer is forced to come to terms with the bitterness and despair the soldier feels from losing in the end.

I don't think they went into enough detail in questioning whether the portrayal of conflict is tasteful. They released Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 over the Remembrance day period, which to me, strikes me as somewhat in bad taste. First and foremost, people play war games for the excitement and the fun of combat; they do not do it for the purpose of experiencing the genuine horrors of conflict - otherwise scenes like the controversial terror strike in COD:MW2 would be appearing far more often in videogames to hammer in the horror of frontline warfare and terrorism.

On the other hand, some soldiers will admit to finding real wars genuinely entertaining. If you don't think there is something cool about seeing Blackhawks screaming overhead, MGs flaring, then you're probably in denial. Most books and films will go to extreme lengths to show war in a negative light, whilst video games are one of the few mediums that actually capture the sense that warfare can be fun.

RenegadeRed

Aug 26, 2008
What? Just shooters? There are other genres of wargames ya know besides shooters and one flight sim. I would really have liked to see a comparison of a strategy game to real life warfare (e.g. World in Conflict). Get on it, Escapist! You can call it War Games Pt. 2 or something.

Banhaze

Oct 8, 2008
Artistic? Being part of something greater than myself? I just want to shoot shit dead!!! Is that too much to ask nowdays?

lobotoja

Nov 27, 2009
I love when they all brag about realism and in WW2 games except the surname of the dude from Wolfenstein there is nothing Polish!!! For fck SAKE the 3-r biggest contributor in terms of amount of soldiers to the allied forces and what... hmm NOTHING, maybe because all game developers play the same tune as Hollywood to phase out poles so it wont look soo bad that allies sold that country to fckng Russians. PREPOSTEROUS.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
Believability... very important. Modern Warfare's 2 presentation and execution is excellent, but the storyline sucks. The notion of a massive, surprise russian invasion on the U.S. is totally out of wack. But I guess they needed an excuse to have a war on american soil.
A nuclear missile accidentally taking out the international space station is just as ridiculous. MW2 reminds me alot of "Independence Day". Outrageously stupid plot events to justify a storyline dripping with pathos, drama and patriotism. It's a shame because it starts out rather well.

jordik said:
From the title, I was hoping it'd be about (strategic) wargames -- not games in a war setting.
Dito. I believe "Wargames" usually means strategic wargames.
No, a Russian attack on USA soil isn't that unlikely. Yes, it's more of a 40 years ago thing, but it's still a reasonable assumption to say that there are a few countries that would realllly like to take the USA on given a legitimate excuse that would keep Britain, the UN, Aus, etc out of it. China for one, Russia for another, most Arab countries given the USA's continued support of Israel.

maninahat said:
It would be interesting to have a game where the player's character is spoon-fed all the Nazi propaganda as he goes through Poland, France, the Eastern Front, the Western Front, and gradually discovers that it's all a lie.
Agree with the first idea; but why have them realise it is all a lie? I'm sure many German soldiers went through the entire war, still confidently believing all the propaganda. Perhaps it would be all the more poignant when you have a patriotic soldier whom you know is not working for the greater good, yet never-the-less, the gamer is forced to come to terms with the bitterness and despair the soldier feels from losing in the end.

I don't think they went into enough detail in questioning whether the portrayal of conflict is tasteful. They released Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 over the Remembrance day period, which to me, strikes me as somewhat in bad taste. First and foremost, people play war games for the excitement and the fun of combat; they do not do it for the purpose of experiencing the genuine horrors of conflict - otherwise scenes like the controversial terror strike in COD:MW2 would be appearing far more often in videogames to hammer in the horror of frontline warfare and terrorism.

On the other hand, some soldiers will admit to finding real wars genuinely entertaining. If you don't think there is something cool about seeing Blackhawks screaming overhead, MGs flaring, then you're probably in denial. Most books and films will go to extreme lengths to show war in a negative light, whilst video games are one of the few mediums that actually capture the sense that warfare can be fun.
I agree with that last part of your post, war can be extremely entertaining. Seeing a group of planes with full afterburners set, Apaches coming up over a cliff, all the military hardware in motion.. Then seeing it all playing out. It's like Chess but in real life.

That bit about it being in bad taste though.. Possibly the day it was released? That might be an issue.. I can't really see how though. A controversial scene isn't all that bad either. We're trying to get video games elevated to the same level as art here, getting a game which presents war as chaotic, uncontrolled and decidedly distasteful is doing a great job. Both as making a point, and showing something for what it truly is.

Rigs83 said:
swaki said:
No you won' pick up Six Days in Fallujah because it got canned.
But you can play Kuma War.
http://www.kumawar.com/
They had missions from Iraq hours after they happened. Reasonably realistic and nice graphics. They upgraded to the Source engine too, so now they're pretty good. And free. :D
Then there's... A few others if you want realism and current events. America's Army 3 is another. My brain has just died so I'll see if I can find my list of others later.