The Escapist Presents: Turning Black Ops 2 Into an E-sport

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Turning Black Ops 2 Into an E-sport

Treyarch's Game Design Director, David Vonderhaar, talks to us about the e-sport features behind Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

Watch Video

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
The only thing you need to do to turn a game into an e-sport is give away a ton of money into tournament prizes... look at League of Legends for example.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
mindlesspuppet said:
The only thing you need to do to turn a game into an e-sport is give away a ton of money into tournament prizes... look at League of Legends for example.
Well, there is a bit more to it than that, to make a good e-sport anyway. Personally, I don't believe CoD would make a good e-sport, but I think that it becoming one is inevitable at this point.

Let's look at a few of the big e-sports nowadays...

- Starcraft 2
- Counter Strike
- Halo 3
- Smash Bros
- Street Fighter
- King of Fighters

and now the MLG is picking up League of Legends.

These are games that are well-balanced, that have massive fan-bases and developer support, and are more about skill and knowledge of game mechanics and the meta-game, than about gimmicks.

That's the inherent problem with CoD. It is a multiplayer shooter built around gimmicks. I could talk about stuff like the knives and hatchets, but individual weapons aren't so much of an issue since most e-sports groups outright ban a lot of the cheesy weapons to begin with. But then there's the killstreaks which are also a huge gimmick. They inherently unbalance the game. They look cool and can be satisfying to use, but they add a very large element of randomness and imbalance. I don't know about the statistics, but from my experiences, whichever team gets the most killstreaks, or gets to the really good ones (like gunships and such) first, tends to win.

However, I do think that CoD is going to become an e-sport whether we like it or not. There's no denying that the CoD fan-base is absolutely massive and that there are more than enough high-skill players to make pro CoD teams possible. There's also the fact that Activision has literal fuck-tons of cash to throw at tournaments. Even if the MLG never picks up CoD, Activision could just start its own tournament league if it really wants to get an e-sports brand going.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Team-based FPS games are inherently unsuitable for e-sports, at least for the audience.
There's too many points of view, and the action is too fast, to really capture what's going on.
It's already hard to deal with 2 perspectives in duels in Q3 arena.
That's why MOBA, RTS, and fighter games are better for spectators.

Never mind the fact that CoD is inherently unsuitable for e-sports due to its mechanics.
The killstreaks are designed to create imbalance.
Where a kill advantage is an advantage in of itself, the essence of sports doesn't really exist.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
it's an esport in the sense that it will make young teen boys aspire and play to become something that doesn't exist.

Xai

Jul 16, 2012
I really hope these modern war shooters fall out of style soon. Its a sad sight to see screenshots of 3 different games and your unable to tell the difference.
Either way, i hope this brings that day closer.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Shout casting... sounds terrible... especially with the CoD crowd.

I personally don't think I could put up with the sexist and homophobic rants... It'd make me lose the will to live...

As it is whenever I play CoD or Battlefield I mute most of the other players...

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Eh I used to do some commentating for GW GvG matches, and I have been itching for E-Sports to take off.

COD has the popularity and the money to pull it off.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
IMO the problem with games like CoD as an Esport compared to Smash Bros and fighting games is that it often lacks a way for viewers to get an overall 'commentator view' of the game

But its an FPS game - its a brown and grey FPS no less - so watching it from a spectator mode would honestly be... well... watching a lot of brown and grey run around

that's just that interesting IMO.

but hey, I could be wrong

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Too bad COD doesn't actually have the really high skill ceiling required for an esport.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
rcs619 said:
Denamic said:
Having played in a couple of community run CoD leagues with my clan, it's worth noting that killstreaks have NO part in competitive play. In most you have certain perks disabled as well as things like rocket launchers and grenade launchers. It's really a lot of fun. S&D becomes a sweat inducing experience in competitive play, especially against a strong opposing team.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Too bad COD doesn't actually have the really high skill ceiling required for an esport.
Pretty much this.
I thought that e-sports were supposed to be all about the individual's skill, and COD is innately devoid of any skill.
Oh, your avatar's awesome, by the way.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Brace yourselfs, a shitload of COD gameplay videos are coming to youtube, even more then the shitload that would come even without this glorified spectactor mode

Jun 11, 2008
I'm sorry I've played the old CoD games in a lot of scrims and playing the newer ones they are even less suited to an E sport than the old ones. They had to ban half the stuff in different rules for CoD 4 just for normal scrims. Killstreaks banned was standard

It may have the popularity and the money behind it to do it but it does not have the mechanics weapon and gameplay wise at the moment to do it but we'l see with the new but I doubt it is up to it.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
You know your game isn't suited for eSports when half the game mechanics and elements are banned and disabled in order to play it "competitively.