The Escapist Redesign

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I don't mind the redesign. I mean I prefer the old one but whatever. The problem I'm having is that pages are taking aaages to load now! And it can't be my internet connection - 30mb fibre optic ^_^

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
I'm going to have to get on the whole 'I don't like it' hog. Load times have increased dramatically, page structure is incredibly complicated to navigate, its about as ergonomic as a cactus chair... oh and its really really depressing to look at. Looks like I wont be renewing my publishers club when time comes to it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Argh! When I go to my messaages to see who has quoted me, clicked on the "view post" thing takes me to the beginning of the thread, not the post that's quoted me, which is obviously much better.

Oh, and yeah, making something looking newer and higher tech isn't a great idea when the original was fine to begin with. Hopefully there was all sorts of underlying issues that this is fixing, they aren't just tweaking things to make them uglier for its own sake.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dont really like it, I mean it seems more difficult to look though the news now, going though the news was one of the main things I did. Plus the site seems slower then it was.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
The color scheme is very plain, the large amount of white is annoying(not to mention less eco-friendly) and the pages seem to take 10x longer to load :/
Can we at least have the option to turn it back to the old one?

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
cursedseishi said:
weker said:
I suspect the Escapist will pull a Youtube, meaning redesign which is borderline everyone saying Thumbs down, and they won't care, I hope this is not the case but it wouldn't be out of the question as this doesn't seem to have been a discussed situation with the community.

It's been admitted several times that the only people who had even a little warning was the "first class" users, those who pay for the Publisher club. It's pure and simple bullcrap, as much so as Youtube's change, and for practically all the same reasons. The only thing Youtube did that was smarter was avoiding the sheer white background.

Also, at least youtube had a trick to revert its home page back to the original style, at least for a day or two until it was removed.
Im in the publcub, and the Beta style that we got to use its very different to the new style, and on top of that even we cant change back to the old beta which was actually a very nice theme. Oh well.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I'm old and I don't like change. Through I could deal with it if the more minimalist appearance meant I could actually reliably load the escapist on my phone. Sadly this is not the case. In fact it doesn't seem to want to load at all anymore.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Hmm...on the one hand, the font appears to have been fixed.

On the other...oh, wait, it's not pure white any more. It's more of a marble gray on the outside. Actually, that's a little better, though I still prefer darker colors.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
It's very white, maybe just a little bit more colour to fill in around the comments and the background would be nice

Zethrax

Jul 11, 2011
I loved the old design. It provide a lot of interesting and well laid out information on the front page which allowed me to quickly find something worthwhile to read or watch.

The new design provides less value in more space. The points of discovery for accessing content are gone and so are most of my reasons for visiting the site. I can find many other sites which provide entertainment value without my needing to hunt for them on the site.

This is the sort of move that I expect from Youtube. They don't care about their users, they just make changes because they can - without any thought for the needs of the user. And they make those changes while ignoring problems, such as their broken subscription system. This is not a move I expected from a supposedly in-touch-with-their-users organization like the Escapist.

replingham153

May 23, 2009
Nasrin said:
Greetings and Salutations, Escapists!

You may have noticed that the site looks a bit different. If you want some more information about that, please direct your attention here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114736-The-New-Shiny-Escapist

Sincerely,
- Nas
I'll be honest... why?

Just why? This all feels a little unnecessary and ridiculous... but hey whatever you guys are the masters so... the fuck can I do?

Leave, I suppose?

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Hmm...on the one hand, the font appears to have been fixed.

On the other...oh, wait, it's not pure white any more. It's more of a marble gray on the outside. Actually, that's a little better, though I still prefer darker colors.
Until you pointed that out I actually thought it was my retinas burning out from the glare. Probably a sign that it's time for bed.

BulletMagTrig

Nov 14, 2011
First I must protest. I hate too much white. Why does white seem to be the new black in the technology world today? Hurts my eyes especially in my otherwise dark room. (To reduce glare, not because I'm emo.)

I agree that with the whole, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd. However, since you went through the effort to give us this new look could you see about fine tuning the site over the next few months to make it feel like the Escapist should?

There will be whining and trolling, but see about taking the constructive criticism offered from the users and make the site more user and owner friendly.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
It's way too white and bright - I can barely differentiate between all the different posts and videos on the main page, since they're outlined by a thin light blue border or nothing at all. It's hard to find all of my favourite things straight away now - I actually have to search for them. It just looks like a whole lot of random elements shoved onto a bland white background. The Escapist had a signature look, and now there's nothing unique at all.

I'm trying to keep my feedback constructive.

EDIT: Also, the "Your Latest" under your profile is mostly wrong. It says my latest badge was my very first badge ever earned, and the latest posts are behind as well.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
It's okay for the most part, but I don't like all the white where the blue bordering used to be. The brightness is a bit hard on the eyes.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Hmm... kinda blank and empty in here all of a sudden. So far I think its alright but I havent explored the site any more than the forums. Only time will tell...ell...ll...l.