The Escapist Redesign

Hamtier

Oct 16, 2010
My main complaint is that its way too cluttered and confusing.
before,it was:most recent video show's on the right,news and headlines on the left.
now i dont even know what is what :S.
if i didnt knew about the escapist before,this confusing layout would scare me back to youtube(which has better layout compared to..this).

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
replingham153 said:
I'll be honest... why?

Just why? This all feels a little unnecessary and ridiculous... but hey whatever you guys are the masters so... the fuck can I do?

Leave, I suppose?
Well, most of the work we did was functional. Although it seems slow now, because it was released with a few kinks still, it should ultimately run a lot faster and better than the previous site. The aesthetic changes were in part to enable the art team to do more work. If you just try it for a short time I really think you'll enjoy it. I've been voluntarily using it for some time now. I thought I would switch back, but now the old site looks... old.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Valanthe said:
cgaWolf said:
You've basically stolen the words right off my fingertips, so that only thing I can really add is that the new layout feels cluttered, everything is squashed into the middle of the page making navigation a bit more of a chore than I'd like.
You've both summarised my feelings perfectly. I really can't get into this new colour/design scheme.

Oh well... less time forum-browsing = more time gaming, I guess!

Upside to everything!

Gorog2

May 27, 2009
It need improvement, to me as it is now, it is a downgrade.
I miss my side bar :'(

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
Nooooooo.......... I just finally got the hang of navigating around the old site (ha, only took two years) and now everything is changed. There used to be this nice little tool bar at the top which had all the links I needed abs now it is gone.

How can I access the "hot threads" and "latest" thread function?

I guess it is a not neater though. But it still makes me feel like a Luddite.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
I liked the old one better, more of an unique feel, it made The Escapist, well....The Escapist.
And it's slower now.

Sorry for all the effort and time put in to this redesign, but i'm not happy with it.

hypercube

Jul 23, 2008
I dislike the glare that comes from this redesign. Seriously, trying to read this on any decent sized monitor is a recipe for eye strain.

At least provide a choice between a dark background theme and this "staring into the sun" one.

hypercube

Jul 23, 2008
I've just noticed that my badges aren't displaying correctly either - the ones beneath my avatar on this page are not the ones I've configured in my account details.

Edit: And lo, now they are! That took several refreshes...

burhanr

Jun 7, 2011
It looks pretty good! For an Apple products/Organic food news site.

Personally I despise it. I know there are a lot of effort that went into it, with all the custom fonts that you embed and all.

But some part of the old design is still there, this forum for example.
It looks "template-y", it felt like you just bought a template and then apply it to the site, without any research that this design will fit the demographics/contents of the site.

I mentioned Apple products before, and what I meant is that the layout fits this kind of website better: http://www.tuaw.com/, where it is filled by crazy Apple fans that claims things like the sharp edges of a macbook pro is very comfortable or that interacting with a PC will automatically spawn a blue screen.

I know it is just a matter of time before I get used to it, but finding links at home is somewhat harder and the space is not used to its full extent (for example, there are no short description of what an article is about anymore).

The old one is good, it has a character in it, and yes it might not be shiny, and people in Starbucks with silver/white PCs (yes, I am hostile towards Apple) will sneer at it, but it is good. It works, it is efficient, and most importantly, it felt like a gaming website directed towards gamers.

On a closing note, I am a wannabe web developer. I am still in Uni and are still learning the tricks of the trade.

tl;dr

PS: This will probably get me a warning/ban, but honestly you guys could bring back (or at least get a few more episodes of) Extra Credits/Lisa Foiles/other beloved contributors with the money you used to develop a new layout right?

arch4non

Nov 17, 2010
Why were all the video links removed from the side bar? I used to be able to see all the latest episodes right on the side bar and either go to a show's index page or go directly to that show's latest episode. Now it's a longer process where I have to mouse over the top bar, click a show, load that show's index page, click on the latest episode, load that page, then finally play the episode.

This is the opposite of what a website redesign is for. You're supposed to be removing clicks, not adding them! The new layout is a step back, I don't like it at all. Is The Escapist really so desperate for page views they're willing to make things more of a pain for their audience or was this just a huge mistake on behalf of whoever was in charge of the redesign?

Dackflak

Jan 27, 2010
Can't find anything... hard to look at... takes forever to load... there are other sites that don't have these issues.... why stay here?

sam13lfc

Oct 29, 2008
I've only taken a brief look, but I don't think the front page is attractive at all, it's a bit dull and looks cluttered (although that might be me not used to where everything is).

I much prefer the old look at the moment. The menus at the top are nice though.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
Personally, the color scheme is kind of hurting my eyes. I miss the blue background.

Ah well. It's like Facebook. I'll hate it until I get used to it.

William the Muddy

Nov 25, 2011
I'm not a fan of this. At all.

Aside from the bleak, cold color palette and ugly design it's been made a lot less convenient.

The bars to the various sections of the site that ran down the side have all been removed, making it circuitous to get where you want to go. I wanted to see the newest "Big Picture" today and rather than just clicking on the bar on the side I had to click "videos" then a random Big Picture episode that was featured for some reason, then the main Big Picture section from the video, and finally the video I wanted to go to. This is bad design, and if there's an easier way it seems to be hiding.

Also, I'm not kidding about bleak, cold, ugly design. The grayish off-white just feels so bleak and uncaring. There's a lot to be said for aesthetics and this just feels like a downgrade from the nice blue that we had beforehand.

Furthermore, the site is running painfully slow. I don't know if anyone else is having that problem, but I'm sitting here running Google Chrome with two tabs open. The escapist tab is taking five minutes to load. The one to my Yahoo account is instantaneous and quick, so I know it's not just me here.

Overall, accessibility, speed, and user-friendliness have all been reduced so I have to ask... why? Why fix what wasn't broke? This seems like something you may want to switch back. There is nothing good I can find about this change. In fact, aside from a new look and reduced user-friendliness... I can't see anything that HAS been upgraded, so this makes it even worse than when people try to update DeviantArt.

Diluted Dante

Dec 15, 2011
arch4non said:
Why were all the video links removed from the side bar? I used to be able to see all the latest episodes right on the side bar and either go to a show's index page or go directly to that show's latest episode. Now it's a longer process where I have to mouse over the top bar, click a show, load that show's index page, click on the latest episode, load that page, then finally play the episode.

This is the opposite of what a website redesign is for. You're supposed to be removing clicks, not adding them! The new layout is a step back, I don't like it at all. Is The Escapist really so desperate for page views they're willing to make things more of a pain for their audience or was this just a huge mistake on behalf of whoever was in charge of the redesign?
This. Aside from the lack of the sidebar, I quite like the new look, but please bring back the sidebar so that I can quickly find the things I use the site for.

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
Way too bright. The front page looks like a complete mess. That exploded.
Yeah, not a fan at all.

angorianka

Feb 26, 2011
I also think it feels very white and empty and colorless. Just a very boring look. And I miss the side-tab with all the videos.
Also is it just for me, or is there anyone else for whom the page loads terribly slowly since the design change? It just feels unpleasant to browse.

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
to be fair this isn't close to as shiny as the old escapist layout was

what I do notice however, is an obvious lack of sponsor spamming

The day's been saved indeed