The Escapist Redesign

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
angorianka said:
I also think it feels very white and empty and colorless. Just a very boring look. And I miss the side-tab with all the videos.
Also is it just for me, or is there anyone else for whom the page loads terribly slowly since the design change? It just feels unpleasant to browse.
Not just you, I am having ridiculously long load times on this site (and only this site) since the revamp, however I noticed a post above that said that it's just a kink from the switchover, I expect it ought to be worked out within a few days.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Nasrin said:
Well, most of the work we did was functional. Although it seems slow now, because it was released with a few kinks still, it should ultimately run a lot faster and better than the previous site. The aesthetic changes were in part to enable the art team to do more work. If you just try it for a short time I really think you'll enjoy it. I've been voluntarily using it for some time now. I thought I would switch back, but now the old site looks... old.
Regardless of the new functionality of the website, it would be really nice if you and the rest of the Escapist team to the almost unanimous and constructive advice from the community and changed or darkened the glaring whiteness of teh background. It's really, honestly is overwhelming in it's brightness.

Really, that's my only complaint. The rest of it I know will eventually become normalized to me and it will probably be fine. However, if the white stays, I don't imagine I will visit as often as I used to.

I will add though, that other websites that have added substantive amounts of white background have become tolerable to me simply because, well, one has no choice. Kotaku is a good example. I still don't really like their redesign, but in comparing it to the new Escapist, there are similar amounts of white space.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I've had two headaches from this bland white crap already. Why did you change the original beatiful design that gave the escapist it's own unique feel to this empty boring thing that so many other popular websites use already?

I can adjust to many things but this isn't one of them. I'll only come for Yahtzee if it stays like this.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
I don't like it. It looks like a default template with no depth or style or polish. It's stale and boring.

angorianka

Feb 26, 2011
Valanthe said:
angorianka said:
I also think it feels very white and empty and colorless. Just a very boring look. And I miss the side-tab with all the videos.
Also is it just for me, or is there anyone else for whom the page loads terribly slowly since the design change? It just feels unpleasant to browse.
Not just you, I am having ridiculously long load times on this site (and only this site) since the revamp, however I noticed a post above that said that it's just a kink from the switchover, I expect it ought to be worked out within a few days.
Ah, all right. Thank you

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
The new theme looks a bit....how would i say...bright, i mean theres an overabundance of white, i loved the old theme since it was more easier on the eyes....

So anyone got greasemonkey scripts for this?

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Nasrin said:
Greetings and Salutations, Escapists!

You may have noticed that the site looks a bit different. If you want some more information about that, please direct your attention here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114736-The-New-Shiny-Escapist

Sincerely,
- Nas
Well, I do like your new avatar.

As for the site? I like the way the toolbars at the top look, and work. But the large amount of white is almost blinding, and gives a feeling of too much open-ness.

ETA: I'm interested in how you guys'll be doing the ads along the sides, are you going to fill the white space?

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Honestly? I rather dislike it. It runs more sluggishly than the old one, feels empty and somehow manages to be cluttered all at once. One more addition to the list of sites that have made major overhauls to negative overall effect.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
weker said:
That would never happen. Whenever it's suggested, it's given heavy criticism. Also, hi-five for Michael Bolton Forrest Gump!

fodderoh

May 31, 2011
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, so feel free to point me in another direction if it isn't.

The new site is not rendering properly for me in Chrome. The font is messed up. I've looked in options, but there aren't really any font-related settings that would seem to be relevant. Any suggestions for what I should do to resolve this?

Thanks.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
A remember reading on another thread that apparently some feedback received with regards to the previous layout was that it was too cluttered? The front page seems way more cluttered now.

Oh well, at least the speed issues are gone from when the change was first implemented.

Also, only telling Pub Club members? Seriously, at least SOME minor notification of the upcoming change would've been nice. Just because we're not shelling out for a membership doesn't mean we should be left out of the loop entirely. It just seems petty.

Myan

I Want to Go to There!
Dec 16, 2003
fodderoh said:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, so feel free to point me in another direction if it isn't.

The new site is not rendering properly for me in Chrome. The font is messed up. I've looked in options, but there aren't really any font-related settings that would seem to be relevant. Any suggestions for what I should do to resolve this?

Thanks.
Hey there! If you could use the link at the bottom of the page "Report a Bug" and include a screenshot that would greatly help us out.

Thanks!

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Yeah I have to say I'm not impressed by the redesign. Like others have said, it seems confused and chaotic and wastes a lot of space. And the blue and white with huge blank expanses comes across unnecessarily ugly and somewhat amateurish looking.

I can use it fine and will get used to it quickly, but IMHO it's inferior to the old site.

On the positive side I haven't noticed any speed issues, unlike others, and the forums seem relatively unscathed.

EDIT: spelling

Darth Lexx

Aug 13, 2008
weker said:
it's nice to have it, but personally it feels a bit ugly to me :(

Cold lonely colour pallet, too much empty space, waaaay to much clutter and just doesn't have that warm page filling look of the old escapist.
I feel exactly that way too.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
It seems a bit cluttered, but it'll grow on me and I'll probably think that this new design is better than the old one. :p

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
I like it, but I miss the latest videos on the side of the screen simply because it made watching them some much easier. Aside from that I like the new look.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Bug alert!
Usernames and avatars no longer show up, and everyone joined the site on 1 Jan 1970 according to the sidebar...

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Bug alert!
Usernames and avatars no longer show up, and everyone joined the site on 1 Jan 1970 according to the sidebar...
I'm getting the same issue, but it's 31 Dec 1969 instead.