The Escapist Redesign

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Visually it doesn't bother me, neither did the old design.

I just want them to fix everything, it loads terribly since the update and there are a ton of bugs. Once fixed I will be perfectly happy.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
There are a LOT of bugs in the forums now, to the point that its unusable...

Escapist, there's no real excuse for this. These bugs are universal and obvious. They should have been ironed out before you even THOUGHT about releasing this redesign. Didn't you do Beta testing or bug checks? At all?

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I don't really like it. The new look resembles a half-loaded web page. I want the old Escapist back. Plus, I can't see you guys usernames or avatars. Hmph.

Bors Mistral

Mar 27, 2009
As a graphic designer, all I can say is that aesthetics and ease of use wise the new layout is a sizable step backwards.

Might be too late now, but in the future please consider having a beta and letting people give you feedback on the changes. After all, the goal is to make the site the best it can be for the Escapist community.

The current site looks not airy, but disorganized and chaotic.

Bors Mistral

Mar 27, 2009
As a graphic designer, all I can say is that aesthetics and ease of use wise the new layout is a sizable step backwards.

Might be too late now, but in the future please consider having a beta and letting people give you feedback on the changes. After all, the goal is to make the site the best it can be for the Escapist community.

The current site looks not airy, but disorganized and chaotic.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
i notice none of you people have names or avatars and you all joined on the 31 Dec 1969, I can watch ads but i cant watch videos and the whole thing seems like its been put through a shredder and cant be put back in order, about all i have been able to do since they made the new site is complain about the new site.
This whole thing just seems to be change for the sake of change, and they took something good that i had grown accustomed to and replaced it with something disorganized that i have to learn. All i can say is "WHY?"

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Jeez, I leave for a month or so and you blow the place up.

Good thing I didn't leave you with the keys to the car.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Jeez, I leave for a month or so and you blow the place up.

Good thing I didn't leave you with the keys to the car.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
And for that matter, how did I get a warning for a post that I supposedly made 42 years ago? I haven't even BEEN here since June.

Shroomhell

Apr 4, 2010
Horrid and tasteless. Also liked having the video games and comics in same area.
Bors Minstrel said it pretty damned well.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I like how it's more readable, but it all feels a bit sterile. I don't hate it, but it doesn't feel like it's filled with fun and sparkles.
But what-evs, you've obviously spent ages working on it, and it does read nicely.
I don't like being encouraged to check out what you've been up to though. It's pointless and a little annoying, I mean, I'm here to look at what's been going on anyway.

weker

May 27, 2009
Nasrin said:
Well, most of the work we did was functional. Although it seems slow now, because it was released with a few kinks still, it should ultimately run a lot faster and better than the previous site. The aesthetic changes were in part to enable the art team to do more work. If you just try it for a short time I really think you'll enjoy it. I've been voluntarily using it for some time now. I thought I would switch back, but now the old site looks... old.
it seems better for iphone and ipad like devices, but much of the new website just causes issues for me (excluding bugs).
The small compact comment section on the right has just become complex and fiddly for me.
Is the most views of the week or day the same thing as hot topic?

Also much of the website just looks ugly to me with overly bright saturated colours, with vast amounts of open space separating everything.

Will the actual community have any sway in this layout, or is this already a pre decided change the the community will have no control?

Currently my time on the escapist has already been reduced because of the new website, and i have read many other also are doing the same, meaning the only thing I see is reduced amount of users (excluding those visiting to see what the new website is like)

Aldarionn

Dec 18, 2011
This change is more annoying than it is functional (So annoying that I actually made an account on this site to tell you about it!) I come here for precisely two reasons - 1) Zero Punctuation, 2) Escape To The Movies. I do nothing else on this site, nor do I have a desire to do anything else. I used to watch Extra Credits here, but of course that turned out to be a massive fiasco. It used to be nice and simple to find these columns on the sidebar to the right, but now they are in an annoying hover-over-drop-down-menu at the top (A design that I have hated since its inception, since it goes away the second you hover off of it) and it took me a half hour to find the content I wanted the first time I looked.

You are steadily taking away the reasons I come to this site at all, so if you want to lose web traffic, continue to make bad design changes that mess up site navigation. If I weren't such a fan of Yahtzee and Movie Bob I would consider abandoning Escapist entirely.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
I don't want to be banhammered for short posting, but this a valid question and needs to be asked:
Where is the IRC channel?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
I don't want to be banhammered for short posting, but this a valid question and needs to be asked:
Where is the IRC channel?
Scroll down to the very bottom of the page. At the blue bar part, go to the "Escapist Everywhere!" section. Under that is "#escapist IRC." That's where it's now located.

satansmurf

Dec 25, 2009
Preparing for a Facebook takeover?

What a horrid, bland, "designed by committee" atrocity. I have so much white space on each side of the new "centered" content I started putting my post-its there rather than the edge of my monitors. I am starting to think that music, animated .gifs, mouse trails and MySpace actually are net experience positives.

Seems like there are Chrome issues. Or just really slow (or buggy?)... Not sure. But also not in the mood to test it out.

At least I can bookmark the areas I normally visit and just ignore the main page or anything else. (And reload a few times and eventually watch / read it.)

A ^5 to Aldarionn ... I almost had assumed Zero Punctuation had been discontinued and was going to head on my merry way to my next daily site content feast.

ScorpSt

Mar 18, 2010
Please, more color. Black text on a white background is difficult to read. I'm getting a headache while posting this comment. This is completely unnecessary and causing me physical pain.