The Escapist SF IV Throwdown: CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER, WIN A BADGE!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Friday, March 13th: Final Round, Fight!

The final round in The Escapist's Street Fighter IV Throwdown is here!

Keane Ng vs. John Funk - Championship Match!

and

Logan Westbrook vs. Tom Endo - Third Place Match

Results will be posted Monday!

Four members of The Escapist team have thrown the gauntlet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89891-The-Escapist-Staff-Street-Fighter-IV-Throwdown] in Street Fighter IV. Over the next week (March 9th - March 13th), Tom Endo, John Funk, Keane Ng, and Logan Westbrook will be butting heads and throwing Dragon Punches in a round-robin tournament!

Whichever of the four comes out of next week's brutal rumble with the best win-loss record will be crowned the winner, and will have eternal smack-talk rights. The loser will be subject to eternal shame. The guys in the middle ... well, no one cares about them.

Vote for whoever you think is going to win this Battle of Champions! The poll will be open until the evening of the first battle, Monday, March 9th, at 6:00 PM EST. Everyone who has chosen a fighter by voting will be awarded a special Street Fighter IV badge!

After the dust has settled, everyone who has chosen the winning fighter will be given an even specialer badge - to lord over all the losers until the end of days. So!

Select your character!

Name: Tom "tendo" Endo
Character: Rufus
Controller: Hori EX2 Fighting Stick
Bio: Hailing from Columbus, Ohio Tom Endo discovered Street Fighter II after being banned from the underground marble playing circuit. The next ten years were a blur of quarter addiction, prize machines, Lil' Homies and broken dreams. This tournament is Tom's shot at redemption.
Why He'll Win: Because when all you've got left in this life is a complete set of Lil' Homies, there's only one way you can go - Up! Everyone else sucks too.

Name: Keane "Keane Ng" Ng
Character: Sagat, M. Bison
Controller: Hori EX2 Fighting Stick / SF4 Tournament Edition FightStick
Bio: Raised on the mean streets of San Francisco's Chinatown district, Keane Ng has been fighting for survival his entire life. He lives on a diet of bamboo shoots and Red Bull, and enjoys giving back rubs.
Why He'll Win: Logan's a wuss, Endo's a has-been and Funk? He's Funk, that's all I gotta say. I win by default.

Name: John "Can't Fake the" Funk
Character: Sakura, Sagat
Controller: Hori EX2 Fighting Stick
Bio: Raised in New Jersey, John Funk's formative years were spent dodging Mafia hitmen after his family's ancestral fortune. The constant attempts on his life forged him into a lethal combat machine who will stop at nothing to triumph. He will bring the Funk - and by Funk, he means absolute subjugation.
Why He'll Win: Home-field advantage! Repping the Escapist home offices, boy-ee!

Name: Logan "nilcypher" Westbrook
Character: Vega
Controller: Standard 360 Controller - Logan doesn't need any special peripherals to kick ass!
Bio: The illegitimate son of a disgraced English Lord, Logan has secretly conquered the world no less seven times, but each time grew weary of leadership and gave it all back. His skill with Street Fighter is only surpassed by his incredible modesty.
Why He'll Win: Logan has a stripped down fighting style that does not rely on fancy tricks to get the job done. Get the basics right and the rest is child's play.

Details:

Each of the four will fight the others at least once, with matches on the nights of Monday, March 9, Wednesday, March 11, and Friday, March 13. It will be best-of-three matches, with each match a best-of-three-rounds. The loser of a round may pick a different character if they choose, the winner must stay on.

If there is a tie on Friday night, there will be one final tiebreaker match. Final results will be posted Monday, March 16th.

Let the smack-talking begin!

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Again, my vote is going for the all-mighty nilcypher. He's going to crush all of you, no two ways about it.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
I vote Tom. After an addiction like that, there's no way he's left without any skill, and Street Fighter IV is Street Fighter II, just prettier. He's obviously at an advantage in that respect.

EDIT: Also, his controller is totally bitchin'.

Also, are these fights gonna be recorded? I would really like to see what happened. =P

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
High hopes for the lord nilcypher, whose omnipotent fists shall strike you down with the power the likes of which you have never seen.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
I'm going with Nilcypher. Crush them beneath your banhammer...or banclaw-glove,whichever you prefer!

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I'm sticking with Nil. He's got good facial hair, and Vega is my favourite.

What? How else am I supposed to choose?

He is from the entire UK, no single city can hold his awesomeness.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
My vote goes to the one using the most annoying characters (bar Honda) from my recollection of SFII, that being Keane.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Crazzee said:
I vote Tom. After an addiction like that, there's no way he's left without any skill, and Street Fighter IV is Street Fighter II, just prettier. He's obviously at an advantage in that respect.

EDIT: Also, his controller is totally bitchin'.

Also, are these fights gonna be recorded? I would really like to see what happened. =P
Recorded, no.

But we have four news / article writers on the team. There will be battle reports :)

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Come on Funk! You had best represent with some mad skillage. Show those chumps what it's like to fight funky! (Or Bring the Funk! I've got loads of these)

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Banhammer? Really? Wielding it with your claws? I am very sceptic.
I'm still rooting for the Funk. Sakura go! *brings out the pom-poms again*

Bling Cat

Jan 13, 2008
And it's three in a row for the funk!

In case you didn't get that, I vote Funk. John Funk. License to groove.

EDIT: And now I feel stupid.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Those images are deeply disturbing.

And for that I'm going with Funk because he marginally creeped me out more then the others.