The Escapist Show: Episode 19: Konami & Suikoden

clauwman

Jan 31, 2009
Is this really the biggest game Konami has coming out soon?

Another DDR sequel would be bigger news than this...

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
clauwman said:
Is this really the biggest game Konami has coming out soon?

Another DDR sequel would be bigger news than this...
Urgh, yeah. More JRPGs with traditional turn based combat systems. Very exciting.

And that guy? He really talked in a weird way? Like everything was a question? Even though it's not? Okay Ill stop there.

freebiewitz

Nov 22, 2008
HAHA the fountain was really funny and I was half expecting russ to go and snap someones neck with snake but even though it didnt happen it was still awesome.

btw did you guys get kicked out for the fountain thing and if so was it worth it?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I can understand why you took your sweet time just showing footage of you standing around or playing ddr: All they had to show off was Generic JRPG #546456435.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Dectilon said:
I can understand why you took your sweet time just showing footage of you standing around or playing ddr: All they had to show off was Generic JRPG #546456435.
You've obviously never played Suikoden.
Fool.
I'm psyched about this game.
Any way to get my SRPG fix.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Dectilon said:
Suikoden is usually the exception to JRPG's rather than the rule... though Tierkries does not look like it's going to be a worthy sucessor to the series.

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
Glad the latest installment for Suikoden isn't like its first foray into Nintendo Card Battles (Suikoden Card Battles? C'mon, I know you make oodles in card game cash, Konami, but have some pride). The "whole new universe" aspect is a bit dodgy, as the one thing that made Suikoden good and interesting and most importantly different than all the other JRPGs was a long, deep history, and characters that didn't whine and go emo at the first sign of trouble.

That being said, overall, not quite an engaging TES episode. I guess Konami didn't want you poking around their offices as much as some of the other places guided you around? (That would be extremely disappointing, considering in the beginning you mentioned that they were the ones who invited you over.)

Kiroshimatsu

Oct 17, 2008
I seriously thought Russ would start splashing around IN the fountain when he first mentioned it. Least grab up some coins in there before they kick you out *laughs*

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Kiroshimatsu said:
I seriously thought Russ would start splashing around IN the fountain when he first mentioned it. Least grab up some coins in there before they kick you out *laughs*
I think we had somewhere else to be afterward. Didn't want to get my shoes wet.

Making a note here, though (huge success) next time we schedule shoots at places with fountains for late in the day. And/or I bring a change of socks. Or someone brings me a change of socks. Or I just have someone else play in the fountain and I point and laugh. That's it, I think.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Suikoden is usually the exception to JRPG's rather than the rule...
Not this one it seems... I agree that there were a few interesting new elements to the original Suikoden. Not to the story really, but to the format. This game with its "new" world seems like 100% filler though, a parasite on the (apparently) good name of the series.

Making a note here, though (huge success)
Populist :D

vid20

Feb 12, 2008
xxDarlenexx said:
I bet if Willy Wonka had an arcade in his factory of pure imagination it would look like that!

Just a little upset that Russ didn't actually get INTO the fountain. Wait, upset or crushed...either way. </3
I know.. at the end when he said "They are so going to kick us out for hits, but it'll be worth it" Then moved his jacket, I totally thought he was getting ready to go in.

*sigh*

Games looks alright; I kinda want a DS now.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Dectilon said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Not this one it seems... I agree that there were a few interesting new elements to the original Suikoden. Not to the story really, but to the format. This game with its "new" world seems like 100% filler though, a parasite on the (apparently) good name of the series.
Can't argue that, I'm probably going to play it, and like it, but I like JRPG's. It does not look like Suikoden though, Suikoden is about War, Politics and Betrayal not standard save the world JRPG stories. Suikoden is so unique because you DON'T ever save the world, it's always been about saving an individual country from a realistic threat like civil war, invasion or tyranny.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
English pronounced Japanese Title, then some Japanese insignias and a German subtitle...
Can´t people stay in one language?
Reminds me of Neon Genesis Evangelion where all the episode titles and the names of the big organisations where entirely german...put a weird contrast if you looked it in jap or english.

But anyway, ive never played any Suikoden games, but it looks kinda decent.
But in a game, it´s not just the looks which count.

Don´t own a DS, but i know a guy who does and loves RPGs...maybe he´ll buy it.

BTW, Tierkreis means Animalcircle...it´s the german name for the zodiac signs.
Just FYI^^

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Dectilon said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Can't argue that, I'm probably going to play it, and like it, but I like JRPG's. It does not look like Suikoden though, Suikoden is about War, Politics and Betrayal not standard save the world JRPG stories. Suikoden is so unique because you DON'T ever save the world, it's always been about saving an individual country from a realistic threat like civil war, invasion or tyranny.
Wellll that's not entirely true.. It's just that Saving the world is never the main focus just kind of something that happens. haha. Though the only real world saving I can think of is part of 3 and even then it's just the Northern continent that would have been wiped out if mr. so'n'so's plan worked.