The Escapist Show: Episode 23: Godfather II

t.tocs

May 23, 2008
Yeah, I really think you will like it if you enjoyed other mafioso type games.

zestamaster

Apr 3, 2009
this..... game...... looks...... AWESOME!! the first godfather was fun and i still play it!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
SonofSeth said:
Ouch, anyone else read the Eurogamer review?
No...but on the other hand, reviewers seem clueless these days. Several of them gave MGS and GTA IV 100% each (Ok, I like GTA IV, but 100% is just ridiculous). Same with Spore.

I suspect they didn't get a paycheck from EA this time around...

Still, they got a 79% from PC Gamer, and they are generally a good reviewer (although they did give 90+% to Spore, but no-one is perfect).

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
That's why I said read, not look at the score, but since I agree with what they said about Godfather 1, I think I can take that review as something worth reading.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
You could read mine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5956-Review-The-Godfather-II]. I guarantee I didn't get any money from EA.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
You could read mine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5956-Review-The-Godfather-II]. I guarantee I didn't get any money from EA.
I have always had a strong prejudice against anything made by EA, but this game has made me sincerely rethink that position. It's actually creative, intuitive, and best of all FUN! I don't know what they did to the koolaide at EA, but whatever flavor they changed to, they need to keep it flowing!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
UltraBlumpkin said:
Russ Pitts said:
I have always had a strong prejudice against anything made by EA, but this game has made me sincerely rethink that position. It's actually creative, intuitive, and best of all FUN! I don't know what they did to the koolaide at EA, but whatever flavor they changed to, they need to keep it flowing!
Assuming EA products are poor is a good starting point, but you always have to accept the possiblity the game in question is actually good, heh.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
And people wonder why most game reviewers get out of the business as quickly as they possibly can.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Doug said:
UltraBlumpkin said:
Russ Pitts said:
Assuming EA products are poor is a good starting point, but you always have to accept the possiblity the game in question is actually good, heh.
Well, my prejudice is based on past experiences. The lack of creativity on their sports games (most of their games) every year is annoying. Not that they aren't fun, but they just don't change anything other than updating the rosters. Even then, they still find ways to reduce the fun in the games. Some of the offseason stuff takes about 20 minutes to sim through, so every year of your dynasty, you need to set the controller down and go do something else while the game does its thing. Even then, you still have to babysit it because some crappy team will offer you a coaching job in the middle of it, which pauses the whole process.

Other games that are rubberstamped every year or two are Need for Speed, Medal of Honor, Command and Conquer and the Sims. THERE'S JUST NO INNOVATION AT EA! They don't even bother stealing ideas from other developers and working it into their games! C'mon guys try something new!!!

Another EA game that I liked but had problems with was the Battlefield 2. It was a fun game to start, but there were just so many bugs in it that it really took away from the game. It took them months to patch up all sorts of stuff, like random server crashes, wall hacks, exploiting out of bounds territory. It really just annoyed me so much that I quit playing alltogether.

The Godfather 2 doesn't seem to be one of those games, so I'll give them kudos for that, however if the Godfather 3 turns out to be the same with new cities and cutscenes, I'll go back to my original position on EA.

EA is the giant developer that either doesn't want to risk taking chances on new ideas, or fired all of its workers that had any ideas apart from remaking the same games each year.
Oh and the exclusive rights to the NFL games pissed me off too, but it's the NFL's fault too.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
UltraBlumpkin said:
Doug said:
UltraBlumpkin said:
Russ Pitts said:
Well, my prejudice is based on past experiences. The lack of creativity on their sports games (most of their games) every year is annoying. Not that they aren't fun, but they just don't change anything other than updating the rosters. Even then, they still find ways to reduce the fun in the games. Some of the offseason stuff takes about 20 minutes to sim through, so every year of your dynasty, you need to set the controller down and go do something else while the game does its thing. Even then, you still have to babysit it because some crappy team will offer you a coaching job in the middle of it, which pauses the whole process.

Other games that are rubberstamped every year or two are Need for Speed, Medal of Honor, Command and Conquer and the Sims. THERE'S JUST NO INNOVATION AT EA! They don't even bother stealing ideas from other developers and working it into their games! C'mon guys try something new!!!

Another EA game that I liked but had problems with was the Battlefield 2. It was a fun game to start, but there were just so many bugs in it that it really took away from the game. It took them months to patch up all sorts of stuff, like random server crashes, wall hacks, exploiting out of bounds territory. It really just annoyed me so much that I quit playing alltogether.

The Godfather 2 doesn't seem to be one of those games, so I'll give them kudos for that, however if the Godfather 3 turns out to be the same with new cities and cutscenes, I'll go back to my original position on EA.

EA is the giant developer that either doesn't want to risk taking chances on new ideas, or fired all of its workers that had any ideas apart from remaking the same games each year.
Oh and the exclusive rights to the NFL games pissed me off too, but it's the NFL's fault too.
Ditto - EA ate up Bullfrog, crapped out dungeon keeper 2, and then killed off any remaining innovantion in the company I'd enjoyed. That was my first major experience with EA back in the day. Of course, they hadn't effectively cornered the bulk of the market back then.

But still, even though I still hate EA, I have to admit they are doing better these days. I think of it like a 30 a day chain smoker who's managed to cut down to 3 a day. He's still a smoker, but not as bad as he used to be, and its always possible they'll end up taking the last step and quitting all together.

EDIT: Oh and I do like Battlefield 2 as well, but thats more 'DICE don't code things too well yet' problem - apparently they are trying to become lean programmers, which should improve things. Now, if they'd just find a way to stop the over-powered jets in BF2 completely wrecking the fun for everyone else.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Doug said:
UltraBlumpkin said:
Doug said:
UltraBlumpkin said:
Russ Pitts said:

Ditto - EA ate up Bullfrog, crapped out dungeon keeper 2, and then killed off any remaining innovantion in the company I'd enjoyed. That was my first major experience with EA back in the day. Of course, they hadn't effectively cornered the bulk of the market back then.

But still, even though I still hate EA, I have to admit they are doing better these days. I think of it like a 30 a day chain smoker who's managed to cut down to 3 a day. He's still a smoker, but not as bad as he used to be, and its always possible they'll end up taking the last step and quitting all together.

EDIT: Oh and I do like Battlefield 2 as well, but thats more 'DICE don't code things too well yet' problem - apparently they are trying to become lean programmers, which should improve things. Now, if they'd just find a way to stop the over-powered jets in BF2 completely wrecking the fun for everyone else.
Yeah I agree, but more like going from 30 to 26 a day! haha

Those jets always bugged the hell out of me. I had a roommate in college that would play the game just so he could use his joystick to bomb the crap out of the enemy respawn areas. He was a beast, I'd just hop in the second seat and gun for him whenever I could! Great fun, until you lose your jet or heli!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
UltraBlumpkin said:
Doug said:
UltraBlumpkin said:
Doug said:
UltraBlumpkin said:
Russ Pitts said:

Yeah I agree, but more like going from 30 to 26 a day! haha

Those jets always bugged the hell out of me. I had a roommate in college that would play the game just so he could use his joystick to bomb the crap out of the enemy respawn areas. He was a beast, I'd just hop in the second seat and gun for him whenever I could! Great fun, until you lose your jet or heli!
Well, no, to be fair to EA, yes they still have "The Sims" team (and I occasionally enjoy spending time playing the sims) and EA sports (Madden #23352, etc), but they also try new things now. Mirrors Edge, Dead Space... and "The Sims" was rejected by a hell of alot of game producers before EA got the offer.

Maybe from 30 to 15 a day, heh.

And yeah, that sort of jet whoring griefing pissed me off most - after all, the anti-air missiles don't work very well, so not alot you can do when the jet players decide to be arseholes and ruin everyone's fun for their own.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Doug said:
Well, no, to be fair to EA, yes they still have "The Sims" team (and I occasionally enjoy spending time playing the sims) and EA sports (Madden #23352, etc), but they also try new things now. Mirrors Edge, Dead Space... and "The Sims" was rejected by a hell of alot of game producers before EA got the offer.

And yeah, that sort of jet whoring griefing pissed me off most - after all, the anti-air missiles don't work very well, so not alot you can do when the jet players decide to be arseholes and ruin everyone's fun for their own.
Well yeah, Mirror's Edge is different, not well polished, but different. Dead Space as well, I enjoyed that game quite a bit. However, being that it is produced by EA, I have a hard time believing Mirror's Edge 2 and Dead Space 2 won't be more of the same...

The Sims was different, but every installment since has been the exact same thing only with new features. Not that it's a bad game (I haven't played it myself), but it's just a the same thing over and over and over.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
UltraBlumpkin said:
Doug said:

Well yeah, Mirror's Edge is different, not well polished, but different. Dead Space as well, I enjoyed that game quite a bit. However, being that it is produced by EA, I have a hard time believing Mirror's Edge 2 and Dead Space 2 won't be more of the same...

The Sims was different, but every installment since has been the exact same thing only with new features. Not that it's a bad game (I haven't played it myself), but it's just a the same thing over and over and over.
Well... I did buy the Sims and then the Sims 2 (god help me!) and in truth, although the core of it is, obviously, still 'control a Sim family, improve there houses, jobs, etc, etc and optionally torture them for kicks', it did include a new system of 'aspirations' and so forth....

Although... if you mean the 'expansion' packs and the 'stuff packs', yeah, there's no real defending that. Those are just milking the success.