The Escapist Show: Episode 25: Fallen Earth

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
It's actually pretty good.
I haven't played too much of it yet because my computer likes to chuck the shits at me, but it is very different to most other mmo's and games in general.

The combat is the main seperator, it's kind of like an fps, but it's not split second reaction time and headshots that really matter. Again I haven't played enough to have run around in a group taking on the big enemies but it really has another dynamic to it that sets it apart.

When it comes out, look for a demo of the game if nothing else, it'll show you a new take on the old mmo system.

BoredKellon

Jan 11, 2008
Jursa said:
While I wish them the best of luck and hope they make an awesome game. I've grown to be very very very sceptical about MMOs especially after so many fps ones have been made and have completely failed (Tabula Rasa, Hellgate London).
What about Planetside or WWII online? Though neither was exactly greatly popular, both have had (and to some extant still do) their own loyal fanbase, and have survived through the years. Plus there was SWG pre-NGE. Besides, Tabula Rasa isn't a true shooter anyways, and most of Halgate London's combat isn't exactly shooter style either :p Just cause it has guns dosn't make it a shooter.

Anyways looking forward to this game, I know some people in Closed Beta (shhhhh) and have heard it's decent.

Elminsters Hat

Sep 3, 2008
Looks pretty nice. Though I'd like to have seen something more on the MMO aspect of the game. What do those 6 factions do? What is their objective, besides the generic "rule the earth", and how are the players of different factions going to interact.

Etc etc etc, from what I see in this video it's just collecting mutated human/animal heads instead of orc heads, and killing NPC's with guns instead of swords, and inevitably grind until you've got a full set of fancy named armor/weaponry.

BoredKellon

Jan 11, 2008
Elminsters Hat said:
Looks pretty nice. Though I'd like to have seen something more on the MMO aspect of the game. What do those 6 factions do? What is their objective, besides the generic "rule the earth", and how are the players of different factions going to interact.

Etc etc etc, from what I see in this video it's just collecting mutated human/animal heads instead of orc heads, and killing NPC's with guns instead of swords, and inevitably grind until you've got a full set of fancy named armor/weaponry.
Well I believe their going more for armor/weapons being crafted and constantly needing replacement or repair rather then the whole, I gots teh epicz effect. It's supposed to be post-apocyliptic where things are scavanged and built from whatevers available. Also gameplay is much different from your traditional everquest/wow clone. Aiming at and shooting an enemy is much different then select target and press hotkeys.

As for the factions, they do have a write up on each one on the site. The basic jist is Vistas are essentially the more violent ancestors of tree-huggers, the CHOTA are essentially anarchists, travelers are organized criminals (they even are organized in "families"), then you have the wanna build up the world again Lightbearers, who are allied with the "We need rule and order" very soldier like Enforcers, and the techs who are fairly self explanatory. CHOTA are the opposite of enforcers in view, vistas the somewhat opposite of techs, and Lightbearers and travelers also fairly opposite like.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
This'll be great - The Escapist will be filled with poorly-spelled posts of people proclaiming either that the game's 'a fps wid rpg eliments for the fat nerds in there moms base ments' or that 'its a rpg with fps shit added for teh x-box douches so they feel at home t-bagging on screen.'

Just like Fallout 3 again!

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Sorry guys but your game looks like crap and it won't survive. When you make an MMO, regardless of style/setting, your direct competition is WoW. Unless you have something to draw people away from that you will never see any significant user numbers. Sorry but it's true.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
I've played this and it was distinctly meh. Dunno whether the NDA still in force but put it this way: Fallout MMO this is not. Besides, the whole concept of a post-apocalyptic MMO is flawed - since when is a nuclear wasteland supposed to be massively populated??

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
sheva? wasnt that a virus in a tom clancy book, and the sidekick in RE5, someone just took orginalty into the woods

LockNstock

Apr 22, 2009
Just a fallout clone........
Not that there is anything wrong with that,I think the fallout series is brilliant.But to be honest,I don't think there is any point in them doing this fallen earth mmo,it won't be as good as fallout,and people who love fallout will just shun it.They are doing a proper fallout mmo anyway,which will most likely blow this game out of the water.But at least they are giving it a shot....

Nightbringer

Apr 22, 2009
LockNstock said:
Just a fallout clone........
The only thing that makes Fallout at all notable - in terms of setting - is it's specific juxtaposition of early Americana-style idyllic innocence (and associated deco-like styles) with a violent apocalyptic aftermath.

By no stretch of the imagination did Fallout invent the genre, so it's silly to think that every post-apocalyptic game is copying it.

Cigar

Feb 24, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Been anticipating this game since the contest to win a beta key was on here, looks good!
I've had a key since Alpha. The game as it stands now is terrible. There is 0 content except grind and quests which make your run around all over the world to get less rewards than grinding. I log in every so often just to see the new builds, and while they are fixing bugs, they don't seem concerned with the fact that their game is just another PVE grind-fest.

By post apocalyptic, I think a hundred or so years in the future. The only technology these people in this game seem to have is cloning and mutations. Everything else is what we have today.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
I'm just glad it didn't end up in Bethesda's hands, and that they're having a really hard time securing rights to a Fallout MMO. Bethesda had one success, and that was Daggerfall. After that they ditched revolutionary architecture in favor of dumbed down accessibility.

Fallen Earth began as a BLT with all the trimmings. And damn it made my mouth water. Now though... They keep cutting out features. The bacon was cut. Then the tomato. Then the lettuce. Right now, it's just two pieces of bread with nothing inside. Hollow. One piece of bread is their crafting system. The other is their first person perspective interface (NOT, I repeat, NOT FPS). They have a foundation to build on.

The setting is a winner. But, unless a shitload of features are included in Content Update 1, this is going to be one Hell of a dry sandwich.

silencer299

Oct 19, 2008
Doug said:
Milkman Dan said:
C.H.O.T.A. sounds awfully like "shota." If you don't know what I'm talking about, be thankful.
I wikipedia'd it, and am sorry I did - listen to the man!
no!

oh crap. I'll heed warnings next time.

I disagree when they say that Fallout 3 introduced the post-apocalyptic game scenario on a massive scale. True, that it may be one of the biggest breakthroughs in its genre, but it's hardly an introduction. Not by a long shot.

I really wanna try Fallen Earth. I'm a really big fan of the end of the world. (can't wait for 2012)

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
probably wont be getting this game,, i dont have the best PC rig.
but it looks pretty amazing.
any news on the monthly fees ?

Crucif

Jan 12, 2010
Cigar said:
I've had a key since Alpha.
No one gives out keys in Alpha >_>
Alpha is maybe 5 people trying out the game mechanics.

Earthmonger said:
Fallen Earth began as a BLT with all the trimmings. And damn it made my mouth water. Now though... They keep cutting out features. The bacon was cut. Then the tomato. Then the lettuce. Right now, it's just two pieces of bread with nothing inside. Hollow. One piece of bread is their crafting system. The other is their first person perspective interface (NOT, I repeat, NOT FPS). They have a foundation to build on.
I know I'm posting on a really old video here, but I figured I should put in some good words for this game just because everyone here seems to rip on it.

The crafting system is very nice, and I'm am definitely enjoying it compared to other MMOs. The game can be played either 3rd person OR 1st person, all you have to do is scroll in or out to change it. I prefer to scroll all the way in when I use any Ballistics weapon (it just feels right). The rest of your analogy of a BLT isn't missing at all. What you seem to think isn't there is what I would like to refer to as "every other MMO". Which would be

- Quests
- Grind
- Level Up

All to which puts you.... absolutely nowhere in the end really. I mean.... who ever really accomplishes anything worthwhile playing video games anyways?

Its a very solid MMO and I'm enjoying it very much so right now. Definitely give it a try (10 day free trial). They are constantly updating which is a huge plus, and I think all of these "disappointments" people are talking about will be solved within time because with a dev team of only 20 people (so I've heard) they really listen to their fan base, and fix/change anything people dislike.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Crucif said:
I know I'm posting on a really old video here, but I figured I should put in some good words for this game just because everyone here seems to rip on it.
You're right, this is quite an old post to pick up again. I didn't mean to 'rip on' FE back then. I thought I was just stating why I was disappointed.

Last month I signed up for the 10-day trial. I wanted to see what had changed since I last played in April '09. I got two days into the trial, and then logged out forever. In those two days, nothing grabbed me. It felt like being right back in closed beta, and had about the same number of players, too. Whatever changes they made to the game weren't apparent. I presume the changes were to mid and high level content, which means I wouldn't have seen it anyway, except for one: All open windows in building models are now barred, meaning I could no longer use them as shortcuts while moving through towns. That was just as well though, since jumping remains very gay with the ignorant view-lock still implemented.

That wasn't why I quit the beta, however. Four major detractors still exist:
1) The world is dead and lifeless. Stagnant. A contributing factor to this is NPCs who have zero dialogue outside of mission text. This is a huge immersion breaker and a constant reminder that you're dealing with a simple program-- not a virtual world. And nothing changes. Anywhere. Ever.
2) Hostile critters still routinely fire ranged weapons through hills, walls, and other obstructions, as well as move through them as if they aren't even there.
3) Crafting, while the range of items is vast, is still monotonous and boring, lacking any randomization or unique items.
4) Merchants still readily sell most materials. Making player-to-player trading of core components and all but the highest level equipment, pointless. And Travelers worthless; a far cry from the game lore. (I played Vista mostly, but always felt sorry for Travelers when they found that one of their major callings was utterly broken.)

When they fix those things, I might try again. It's a great concept, but the implementation is very much flawed. Sadly, I don't expect they will fix them.