The Escapist Show: Episode Two: Vicious Cycle & Eat Lead

warrenEBB

Nov 4, 2008
I've been coming back to this website for the Zero Punctuation for some time (and skipping other shows), and only watched this tES vid to see what it meant by a zeroP preview.

But i enjoyed it.
Some Random thoughts, in case they're of interest to the creators:

-It seemed like your interview with the EatLead game developers was skipping the obvious question: how will they handle timing/comdey? It looks like a straightforward shooter, peppered with funny cutscenes and audio clips. But you're still just shooting things till they die? Are those audio clips going to repeat endlessly, and become as annoying as every other game's audio wise cracks? Did they bother to do anything to make the gameplay itself funny? eek.
I found myself wondering if you'd asked more interesting questions, but couldn't show the answers. meh?

- I dug the way you prefaced segments with their bloopers/outtakes. cool idea, that makes me like the creators.

- the movie review was more interesting for it's history lesson than it's anger. It seems like reviewers these days prefer to coast on a "ill tempered personality" rather than a useful ability to critique. Seems most people would rather be liked by the audience than bother to tell the audience anything they didn't already know. So i dug the dude's historical notes, and wish he'd drop the zeroP attempt. ZeroP succeeds for several reasons, and this movie review elicitcs groans by skipping most of them. ...

ie, Yahtzee's personality seems genuinely more interesting than whatever he's dissecting - he comes off as genuinely frustrated and destructive. He sounds like a practiced snarky jerk, rather than a nice guy pretending - and his presentation seems to offer an intimate windows into how his negative mind works. He works up delightfully creative analogies. His timing nails. and he's willing to say the obvious mean things that everyone else seems to skirt. i think that's big thing.

saying shera lepoof is a poor man's hayden christiansen, or that EagleEye is bad - is just wasting time. These points aren't the emporer's new clothes that no one will acknowledge. You look at them and think "um. really? i guess? hmm." instead of laughing, or high fiving your monitor for so nailing the truth.

I think the review mostly fails because it neglects to mention the movie's obvious message: it presents an update of the old military cop out "I was just following orders". The reviewer suggesting it would have been better to just fly a jet in to resolve the plot, but this oafishly overlooks the movie's core goals. The ways in which everyday citizens could be turned into unwitting war pawns. If you want to riff on ZeroP's magic, why not trying going in the opposite direction- being as creative about some excessive positivity? no cursing? might be a fun counterpoint to draw in more viewers.

anyway.
I do still think the movie sucks, i don't think the review nailed it. I hope the reviewer will focus more on identifying the movie maker's goals and then address how well these were acheived.
...oh my god, i'm typing way too much. (turning this wee commenty into a distraction from other things. sorry).

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
You guys might wanna watch other Movie Bob's videos as this reqiev was kinda average...

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Yay Moviebob is on the Escapist. Very nice.

And to the haters, go and watch his other stuff. He is very different to ZP. Very different.

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
I think I've heard this MovieBob on the radio before... not sure but it sounds like him..

aaah this is gunna bug me all day!

Zekko5

Apr 30, 2008
Haha I loved the part where he was finally let in when he said "Yahtzee"!
warrenEBB said:
-It seemed like your interview with the EatLead game developers was skipping the obvious question: how will they handle timing/comdey? It looks like a straightforward shooter, peppered with funny cutscenes and audio clips. But you're still just shooting things till they die? Are those audio clips going to repeat endlessly, and become as annoying as every other game's audio wise cracks? Did they bother to do anything to make the gameplay itself funny? eek.
I found myself wondering if you'd asked more interesting questions, but couldn't show the answers. meh?

- I dug the way you prefaced segments with their bloopers/outtakes. cool idea, that makes me like the creators.
Agreed.

Darkandroid

May 21, 2008
A nice review at the end. To those complaining about how Moviebob is a ZP rip-off. Well lets be honest, who isn't considered one these days when they use voice overs, over a slideshow despite the fact that format has been used for years.

I guess you can see the similarities between ZP and Moviebob because it's in the style of a review. I personally find Moviebob's Game Overthinker to be so much better than his reviews, as it goes in depth about things people wouldn't normally talk about, like the relationship between Luigi and Daisy.

Escapist, show the Game Overthinker not his reviews, they are so much better.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Never heard of the game devs before, but the game sounds interesting -- though like warrenEBB I'm a bit worried that it'll just recycle tired audio clips during the action. Still, given that I don't have a 360 (and can't see myself getting one any time soon), it's likely I'll miss out on the game entirely anyway.

And hey, I actually like The Net. I mean, sure, it's very cheesy and dated, but I still like it.

(Love the bloopers, BTW.)

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
TheGhostOfSin said:
Hey Russ, what happend to your title of Head Video Dude? it was just cooler.
I have no idea. I suspect someone was trying to be efficient or something, and make the title match the one acid etched on the frosted executive glass on my paneled oak door. I'll look into it.
Are you trying to make us feel bad about not having high powered executive doors, Russ? >.>

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
milskidasith said:
Are you trying to make us feel bad about not having high powered executive doors, Russ? >.>
Actually, no. I was giving my boss a suggestion as to what he can buy me for Christmas. My actual office door is made of fake wood, I think. And doesn't have my name anywhere on it. It's a travesty! I can't work like this!!

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
I liked this video and the one before. I really liked the outtakes; I always enjoy things like that.

After watching the review from MovieBob, I took the link, supplied helpfully in a previous comment above, to look at some of his other work. I have to say he is not ripping of Yahtzee. ZP's better, but that does not mean he's ripping him off. He has a different style, he speaks slower and is a lot less, how should I put this, bile filled. Saying that using a slideshow with a narrating voice over is a ripe off of Yahtzee is like saying that every historical novel ever written is just ripping of Bernard Cornwall, or some other analogy. Both his movie and games reviews are really quite good. Maybe not as funny as Yahtzee, but the review about the gun carrying cowboy pig, horror left me intrigued about the game and if a review does that then it's achieved something.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing the next show and more of MovieBob. He's not as good as Yahtzee, but then show me a reviewer who is.

Muzz

Sep 20, 2007
Good show. Movie reviewer hates Transformers = many extra marks from me, but it was still a good show otherwise.
What's the gag, though? Yahtzee can get you in anywhere but zeropunctuation doesn't get music anywhere near as cool as the Escapist Show.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Muzz said:
What's the gag, though? Yahtzee can get you in anywhere but zeropunctuation doesn't get music anywhere near as cool as the Escapist Show.
What? The ZP Theme rocks! Anyway, both pieces of music were composed by the same dude, our Music Coordinator, Ian Dorsch. So if you're a fan of either, you're a fan of Ian [http://www.willowtreeaudio.com].

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Russ Pitts post=6.75970.897574 said:
milskidasith said:
Actually, no. I was giving my boss a suggestion as to what he can buy me for Christmas. My actual office door is made of fake wood, I think. And doesn't have my name anywhere on it. It's a travesty! I can't work like this!!
You are a gamer... who wants a DOOR for Christmas? 0_o. I thought you'd want an advance copy of Duke Nukem Forever, or maybe fiber optics cable ran straight to your house to minimize lag in online games.

Muzz

Sep 20, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
What? The ZP Theme rocks! Anyway, both pieces of music were composed by the same dude, our Music Coordinator, Ian Dorsch. So if you're a fan of either, you're a fan of Ian [http://www.willowtreeaudio.com].
Well, there's no accounting for taste (mine, I guess). But indeed, no aspersions cast on the skills of Mr Dorsch. Bitching about ZPs music is a little old hat too, I suppose. Maybe if it was funkier, like that piece in the show. I can dream.

crowTrobot

Oct 19, 2008
Wait a minute, Moviebob is the Game Overthinker? I...suddenly feel violated at being tricked into watching something that moron made again.

He'd almost be likable, if he wasn't an aggressively obvious Nintendo fanboy and if he didn't sound like a whining know-it-all preteen.

PizzaTheHutt

Aug 7, 2008
Funny but comedy fps have already been perfected by the timesplitters series so i would play that instead of this.