The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: John

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: John

It's almost 2010, but what were John's five favorite games from 2009?

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Glad to see L4D2 made it in there somewhere =D

Although Ass Creed II? Well, each to hiw own I suppose.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Great List!
I confess I'm not much of a 'fighting game' guy, but the visuals of BlazBlue are just fantastic.

And I'm currently playing through Assassin's Creed 2 (Got it for Christmas) and am just loving it. At first I was thinking 'This is just like number 1', but as I got further in the game and got new gadgets and really noticed and experienced the changes...the game just shines. And I can't stop playing! I was up early to get a few missions in, and I found myself saying 'Just one more Assassination before work!'
Just awesome.

Anyways, great list, Funk!

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I'm liking your list much more.

I think Assassin's Creed 2 has finaly taken some of my attention away from Biooshock.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Good list, although you've ruined the trend of either Dragon AGe or Modern Warfare 2 as top.
Tut tut...

Jang

Mar 21, 2009
Pretty good list. I agree with most of it ^^. Though I must say I would have hoped to have seen borderlands in there.

Does anyone know if Susan Arendt is going to make a top 5?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jang said:
Pretty good list. I agree with most of it ^^. Though I must say I would have hoped to have seen borderlands in there.

Does anyone know if Susan Arendt is going to make a top 5?
She sure did [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/events/favorites2009/6877-The-Escapist-Staffs-Five-Faves-of-2009-Susan].

Borderlands would have been an easy #6. I felt bad for cutting it :(

TheNamlessGuy said:
I agree to a degree.

You should have had Dragon Age in there, somewhere.
Other than that, awesome
I only just got Dragon Age, and it hasn't really "grabbed me" so far. I keep just going back to play more L4D2.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
No Uncharted 2 love, I see.

But it doesn't really matter to me. I think Uncharted 2 is great, and I don't need anyone else to confirm that for me.

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
im happy just cuz assasins creed is in there.
awesome list, i havent played torchlight but it looks.. interesting.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Great list. I, too, am loving Assassin's Creed 2 at the moment. I tried the torchlight demo and almost turned to stone it was so boring.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Totally agree with 1, 3, 4, and 5.

Left 4 Dead is good at what it does, and is great, but its just not my thing.

Giving Assassin's Creed and Blazblue some love!

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
Good list of games, I didn't heard of some of them but am now curious to try them. :D
I agree with you on Assassin's creed 2, most of the time I wish the creators would just forget about the story completely.
Did any of the games you mentioned made it to your actual top five favourite games besides 2009?

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Kudos. AC2 is far and away my favourite game of the year too, for almost exactly the reasons you said. If I have the 'favourite game of the year' discussion with anyone else, I might just point them to this article to save me the effort of explaining...

sizzle949

May 4, 2009
Probably my favorite list so far. Assassin's Creed 2 still stands as my number 1 with AA as number 2. And though it took me a while to try the multiplayer online, L4D 2 just became too fun to play on scavenger. Just woulda put borderlands in there, but Funk already covered what was up with that so it all works out.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Glad to see Torchlight got a mention, it's easily one of my favourite games of 2009 if not my favourite (Left 4 Dead 2 comes to mind as well)