The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Susan

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Angron said:
duchaked said:
never got into Uncharted 2, it was good and I tried to like it, but it was hard to find something to keep me going

but wow Dragon Age again? not sure if that makes the Escapist staff huge nerds or the game is something I really really need to try...maybe both =P
I never got Mass Effect (might get the sequel) so this could be my first BioWare game since KOTOR
same with uncharte, i dunno what it was, it was good but i just found it hard to play and enjoy...

also, they are probably nerds but dragon age is an epic game, easily one of the best ever and ive not long started it
yeah? =) I'm gonna give Left 4 Dead another chance soon probably, couldn't get into that the first time I tried it either

mm I definitely would like to give dragon age a try, but I don't have the time to commit to an RPG atm
the closest game as of late with RPG elements for me was Borderlands, but that's more shooter lol

Fiannaz

Mar 20, 2009
Was expecting PvZ and The path ofc and had a slight hunch u where gonna take uncharted 2 cause u seemed to like it. Dragon age origins would be the game of the year for me even if i had only played the 360 verision of it.

In short great choice of games

Generator

May 8, 2009
I love your videos! They always manage to make me laugh. And now, with two different staff members listing DA:O as their top game of 2009, it's becoming very hard to skip the game entirely. Might I like it even if I'm not an RPG fan?

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Well, unlike Yahtzee, Susan actually has taste in games, so I might go and check a few of these out.

I can't help but feel like she semi-spoilered The Path though - I really didn't want to know that "the only way to win is to lose", that's the sort of thing I'd rather find out while playing. EDIT: scratch that thought, I can't blame Susan, The Path's own promo material has the same spoiler in it! Pathetic, whatever happened to a bit of mystery...

ldbmikey86

Feb 11, 2009
BonsaiK said:
Well, unlike Yahtzee, Susan actually has taste in games, so I might go and check a few of these out.

I can't help but feel like she semi-spoilered The Path though - I really didn't want to know that "the only way to win is to lose", that's the sort of thing I'd rather find out while playing. EDIT: scratch that thought, I can't blame Susan, The Path's own promo material has the same spoiler in it! Pathetic, whatever happened to a bit of mystery...
If you play it, you'll realize nothing was spoiled because if you're like me, you will play it over and over to try and make sense of each sister's "demise", so-to-speak. That's the real mystery.

And I can't believe I forgot about this game on my other list. It's definitely number 1 for 2009, no offense to everything else.

So, revamped list (as I also forgot about Borderlands):

The Path
Saboteur
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Dragonage: Origins
Borderlands

in that order.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
ldbmikey86 said:
BonsaiK said:

If you play it, you'll realize nothing was spoiled because if you're like me, you will play it over and over to try and make sense of each sister's "demise", so-to-speak. That's the real mystery.
You've just spoilered it some more by mentioning that there's multiple characters who all meet a demise of sorts. I should stop reading this thread.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
The Path is a multimedia presentation. Selling it as a game is somewhat fraudulent.

And Emerald City Confidential pales compared to Grim Fandango or Discworld Noir.

I do agree with Dragon Age though. Bioware gets it right every time. Mass Effect 2 will be something special.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
glee, just finished Emerald City, i must say i went from being in love to being entertained towards the middle when it went from noir adult detective mystery to entertaining fantasy story, but it was still an amazing trip, and the casual level of the puzzles made it all feel so fluent.

one of the best adventure games i have ever played.

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
plants vs. zombies is so awesome. i got everyone i know hooked on it. my mom plays it like shes got a crack addiction, damn junkie.

weker

May 27, 2009
Great final choice totally agree with the last one although my inner fan boy still hates UC2 for its exclusiveness and the fact it rips of firefly

also would like to ask is the path meant to be quiet slow i wasn't to sure so i stopped playing it so i didn't ruin my first experience with it

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Loved how you included The Path in your list.

"Women are like forests. Mysterious, and full of wolves"

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
CNKFan said:
I half thought that she would have picked Wolfenstein I mean it had poof guns.
Well, if we do a list of "favorite weapons of 2009," that'll definitely make the list. POOF!

Jay Cee

Nov 27, 2008
I notice that numerous aspects of Dragon Age: Origins that were appreciated by Bioware RPG fans are sections that I found laborious.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
So the path you can only loose at?

So it's like dwarf fortress where no matter how good you do eventually it all will crumble down around your feet and you will be left mourning as your last dwarf fights with insanity before throwing himself into a lake and you can only watch as the bubbles slowly begin to stop. Then you sit there wondering how this happened and why at the prime of your fortress one little kolbold managed to kill one child dwarf. The parent of that kid then enrages and punches a dwarf. This causes a chain of assaults and destruction of property ending up in a tantrum chain.

This whole time the local law enforcement struggles to maintain order the best they can as an army of dwarves charge the shield wall with rope reed socks beating the life from every last guard with said socks until there's nothing but a bloody pile of giblets on the floor dripping blood down between the cracks into the floor below. The few remaining ones are injured so much they slowly bleed out as the wave of destruction passes through the fortress. Then later as the smoke clears and the fires die out nothing is left but the ruins of a once great fortress brought down by a single koldbold that was out for blood. As you abandon the fortress all you see is death and despair and the air is heavy with the sent of decay.

Yep all this can and just might happen in dwarf fortress and it's very worth learning how to play just for the stories.