"The Eternal War": Ten Years of a Single Civ 2 Game

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Annnnnd someone beat it.

Took 58 years in-game, but I pulled it off. [http://www.reddit.com/r/theeternalwar/comments/uzm4w/took_58_years_ingame_but_i_pulled_it_off/]

He built single square island cities and made them production centers. He sold of buildings like libraries and universities to shave some overhead cost off. He allied with America long enough to fight the Vikings with a lot of Howitzers. And then beat America by rushing them by sea sense they have a pitiful navy.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
rolfwesselius said:
Bostur said:
It's so simple, he just needs to build Ironclads to rule the seas.
They get nuked in less than a 2 turns.
Someone didn't play the first Civ it seems. ;-)

It's a paraphrase from the military advisor in the first Civilization. As soon as Steampower and Ironclads becomes available, the advisor would suggest building Ironclads for the rest of the game even if destroyers, nukes and carriers were plentiful.
- "We should build Ironclads to rule the seas"

The quirks of the old advisors was also joke material in the advisor videos of Civilization 2.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
hah, that's pretty awesome! Only problem is that I've never had a game like that...either I win pretty easily or at some point I start losing quickly and it ends there. Maybe there should be some kind of scenario campaign made around this.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
I bet this will evolve into a Warhammer 40k esque game. In the grim future, there is only war...
Now that I'd love to see.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, I'm going to have to call BS on this one. I can't see a game of Civ II becoming that much of a stalemate unless he specifically orchestrated it himself somehow.

It could be true, but I will say I'm a doubter. I've played Civ II enough where I can't envision a stalemate lasting that long, the computer would "cheat" if nothing else.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Well, kudos to him for keeping it going for so long. This kind of stuff really reaffirms my faith in games as a medium. You'd never get something like this from a film or a book.

tthor said:
MammothBlade said:
I think he should build a damn spaceship and move onto Alpha Centauri.
he already won the space race long before the war
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I thought that this far after the ending date you wouldn't be able to win via Space Race even if you wanted to, and it's pretty obvious that even if he could he wouldn't have. So all of these people talking about using space ships seem to be missing the point...

EDIT: Just realised I just completely necro'd this thread thanks to a link from here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.391616-XCOM-Players-Discover-Bonus-Campaign-Mode XD

Ahh well, at least I wasn't the first new post here so technically I didn't completely necro it on my own.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Someone else used the phrase "hilariously tragic" to describe his tale, and I think that's pretty accurate. I can't stop laughing at how incredibly fucked up his world has become.

I'm also pretty amazed that Civ is actually that ridiculously deep.