The Evil Within Isn't Scary, Just Monotonous - Hands-On - Update

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
sounds about right; thing is, I would say that even the RE series wasn't really scary. Tense, maybe, but that's not the same thing as fear. I felt when Mikami dropped the shallow pretense of it being a horror series it was all the better for it. Even the earliest entry made it so it was preferred to just kill the enemies rather than avoid them because you got ammo and health items by the bucketful the further you went into the game. It looks to me like Mikami is just in denial about his abilities and his attempts to hide it are paper-thin.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Karadalis said:
This game has "splatter" written all over it and looks more like a high profile B-horror movie... and when was the last time anyone saw one of those and was scared?
Man, what I would do to get something else similar to John Carpenter's The Thing. Old horror movies might have looked ridiculous, but they certainly knew how to make people squirm.

That's because those good ol' movies used things such as engineered robotics for the monsters, people in skin-suits, and actual props. The newer movies look complete shit because they're made with really horrible CGI* and get pumped out by the handful. Directors also fail to drive emotion out of their actors for scenes that call for it, giving very generic and bland performances; take for example how Linda Hamlton was in a recent Sci-Fi movie about electric lightning tentacles and had the same bland expression throughout.

Back on topic: I called it when this game was revealed that it looked cheesy, horrible, and just was a play on the current fad of survivor horror games that have been becoming popular over the past few years. This is nothing more than a money-grab by the developers with no real understanding of the media that they're delving into. It's cheap. It stinks of lazy.

*Peter Jackson and Neil Blompkamp both know how to do excellent CGI and are an exception. Their filming techniques need to be emulated by others.

Captcha: More Better.
Kind of what this game needs to be, right?

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
piscian said:
I don't really get this article. The video actually made me jump and you even sound like you're enjoying the game, but in the written article you act like it sucks. looks fun to me.
The video isn't from the guy who did the article..it's from a different person fro m the Escapist.