The Exorcism in Indiana - What in the Hell Happened?

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
This is a cute story right up until you realise these people will, and have, murder their children.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Diddy_Mao said:
A flamboyant story with little more than eyewitness reports for proof and a Reverend seeking fame and fortune by selling his story.

Doesn't seem there's much mystery here.
...and a bizarre change in behaviour from a police captain...

...and the very real trauma from the main eyewitness that got her in to see psychologists...

...and the kids having to be taken away at a couple points, but now that they've moved, they are apparently fine...

...but why let some actually eyebrow-raising stuff get in the way of being flippant and dismissive, amirite?

An officer changing his mind isn't anything to base your argument on. My brother in law is a deputy and he's a moron, I wouldn't trust him to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich let alone provide decisive testimony on the supernatural. There's no record of this officer, how well he did his job or how he was regarded in the community. Wearing a uniform doesn't automatically make your judgment infallible. More likely he wasn't using his equipment correctly and argued in his defense rather than admit guilt. We've all done it.

A parent seeking medical or psychiatric advice when they or their children show physical or psychological symptoms isn't weird or eyebrow raising. It's what people should do.

Everything in that report points to environmental causes for their illnesses and substandard wiring/duct work for almost all of the "phenomenon" in the house itself, makes perfect sense that all reports of activity should subside once the primary cause of ailment is removed.

If I'm flippant and dismissive it's because the whole affair reeks of mass delusion and scam artistry.

Zuljeet

Jan 14, 2010
Gregory Wollf said:
Sleekit said:
im still stuck on wondering why there were pigs near Jesus but i'll catch up in a bit...
He had crossed over the sea of Galilee (ie: outside of Israel) and the non-Jewish farmers happened to be in the pig business.

I'm stuck on "even Jesus dabbled in the practice." As a master's student of theology I have to say, no. No Jesus didn't 'dabble' in exorcism, he championed it and has become the leading figure in the practice. Any Catholic / Evangelical / Pentecostal / any and all members of the Christian faith who attempt exorcism only do so in the belief that it is Jesus' authority over demons that allows them to even try in the first place. Exorcism was a key part of Jesus' ministry, a miraculous sign to accompany and give authority to his teachings. Even from a purely secular stance of looking at things he 'dabbled' in exorcism the same way that Niccolo Tesla 'dabbled' in inventing stuff or how the NSA 'dabbles' in collecting private information.

Also a real life exorcism has NOTHING to do with what is portrayed in the media. They should be treated as two separate topics.
have you seen the Key of Solomon or the Sword of Moses? You might find those interesting if you have the time around your other studies (assuming of course that you haven't already seen them).

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
orangeapples said:
Comics & Cosplay? perhaps this would be filed under Science & Tech... Maybe create a new category called "Religion & Supernatural"
Can I second this motion? Fantastic idea. I like the idea of a category dedicated to this kinda stuff. It would be like a new horror story every day before bed! (spooky dreams!)

Captia: Only way to be sure

Kahani

May 25, 2011
orangeapples said:
Comics & Cosplay? perhaps this would be filed under Science & Tech
It has nothing to do with science, it's basically just LARPing for the religious. In the absence of a roleplaying section of the site, Cosplay seems to be the closest fit.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
"or does this really prove once and for all that spirits and demons exist? You're guess is as good as mine."

The grammar-error was already remarked on, but (slightly) more importantly: Well, no apparently. If your guess is as good as mine, i.e. you declare yourself to be undecided on the truth of this story, it clearly hasn't been proven "once and for all that spirits and demons existed", now has it?

Still, if my guess is as good as yours, I'll just give you mine: Pretty sure this is bullshit. That whole wall-walking bit seems highly similar to that most famous fictional exorcism story you mentioned. And while I agree it made for a nice creepy image to have a demon-possessed child walk across the ceiling, I gotta ask: Why? What are the demons supposed to get out of all these petty tricks? What possible use is it to satan to make a child walk on walls or babble in strange languages. That'd only make sense if we assume god is such jerk he'd send you to hell for actions the demons possessing you performed.

And add in that the people telling this story for no-ulterior-motive-no-really are getting famous and rich by selling movie rights... yeah, I'm gonna need a little more convincing.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
Wasn't Amon an ancient deity and/or Judeo-Christian demon king?

Maybe this is all just a wacky misunderstanding of the sitcom variety.

"Luuuucifer, you've got some splainin' to do!"

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's a bullshit story, if this shit was really happening then there would be tons of video, this supposedly happened in 2012, you know what everyone has in 2012, video cameras on their phone. We would see this shit all over youtube.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
"Rev. Michael Maginot has grown famous since the events occurred in part because of selling his movie rights to one of the producers of Insidious."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaand mystery solved.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
So... A situation that conveniently resulted in zero evidence, a sparse few eye witness reports from individuals for whom effort has been made to establish any credibility. And to top it off, in the one instance where any semblance of professionalism was present, where actual therapists were involved, they basically said "Yeah, Mom is just fucking crazy and it's not doing the kids any good" .

So, Right... Big mystery.

I can't attest to the motivations of anyone involved (with the possible exception of anyone standing to gain from film rights), but nothing here reads like more than crazy people and exaggeration.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Chimichanga said:
Page 3, second-to-last paragraph: It's "your", not "you're".

'You're' = 'you are'; "You are guess is as good as mine" - that sentence does not make sense.
Thanks for your feedback. We've fixed the typo.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Pictures, or it didn't happen. As they say on the Internet.

"Your mother sews socks that smell!" --Laraine Newman

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Curious how such tales never come with authentic photos or film.
Obviously this all the placebo effect, the power of suggestion, and recounting things in a more dramatic way.
The kid might have thrown himself against the war. An athletic child could easily do that (low mass can make it easier for children to do this than for adults). Nobody actually moon walked against the wall, but an athletic child could run against a wall and make a flip. Heck I had a friend who could do that. The power of suggestion could make this look a lot scarier than it really is.

And Man

May 12, 2014
I'm not the only one that found the idea of a kid moonwalking up a wall hilarious, am I?