The faults of DA II

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
My biggest problems with DA2 are Bioware, It's marketing, and the fact that it's Dragon Age 2. Attaching this game to a successful brand they built around the phrase Spiritual Successor to Baldur's Gate, and in the process rewriting and changing direction so drastically was a recipe for failure. The fact they they continually tried to say no it's not that different before release and still defend that stance is pretty damn deplorable.

I think they could've made a decent game if they treated it as a Spin-Off or an entirely new IP, but tying themselves so heavily to a previous success while abandoning the majority of what fans liked about it while trying to paint it as otherwise was a series of stupid, stupid decisions.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Going to be honest, everyone raves about the combat in dragon age 1, but the whole thing to me felt like a giant cluster fuck. Spam aoe ability's which combo with other aoe ability's in direction X, use your single target nuker to take out key targets in the fight, rinse repeat. Personally i found the combat in dragon age 2 more enjoyable, whilst i miss tweaking armour and the like i enjoyed DA2 more heresy i know.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Rastien said:
Going to be honest, everyone raves about the combat in dragon age 1, but the whole thing to me felt like a giant cluster fuck. Spam aoe ability's which combo with other aoe ability's in direction X, use your single target nuker to take out key targets in the fight, rinse repeat.
Don't use those abilities then.

It is a complaint I don't get to be honest. It is the same as in Mass Effect 1 when people complain they could make an infinitely firing weapon, which makes the game too easy. Don't make that weapon then.

Just because you have those powerful spells in Origins doesn't mean you have to use them. It is entirely possible to play the entire game without those spells after all.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
votemarvel said:
Rastien said:
Going to be honest, everyone raves about the combat in dragon age 1, but the whole thing to me felt like a giant cluster fuck. Spam aoe ability's which combo with other aoe ability's in direction X, use your single target nuker to take out key targets in the fight, rinse repeat.

It is a complaint I don't get to be honest. It is the same as in Mass Effect 1 when people complain they could make an infinitely firing weapon, which makes the game too easy. Don't make that weapon then.

Just because you have those powerful spells in Origins doesn't mean you have to use them. It is entirely possible to play the entire game without those spells after all.
There are so many spells that are aoe based though, regardless of combos you are still nuking everything in the field quite comfortably and receiving aoe based ability's back at you :/.

This is a retort i don't get either, i have 2 hands why should i use both? i'll play 1 handed to make the game harder. Whilst the difficulty went up when i cranked it up the core mechanic felt the same of spamming aoe :/

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Rastien said:
votemarvel said:
Rastien said:

There are so many spells that are aoe based though, regardless of combos you are still nuking everything in the field quite comfortably and receiving aoe based ability's back at you :/.

This is a retort i don't get either, i have 2 hands why should i use both? i'll play 1 handed to make the game harder. Whilst the difficulty went up when i cranked it up the core mechanic felt the same of spamming aoe :/
What difficulty did you play on? Because just spamming AOE's on any difficulty with Friendly Fire was a sure way to die.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Rastien said:
votemarvel said:
Rastien said:

your not complaining about using your other hand.

also you're probably playing on easy if you get through every encounter while spamming AoE spells as on higher difficulties they can and (likely) will fuck you up just as much as your enemies,

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
infinity_turtles said:
What difficulty did you play on? Because just spamming AOE's on any difficulty with Friendly Fire was a sure way to die.
spartandude said:
also you're probably playing on easy if you get through every encounter while spamming AoE spells as on higher difficulties they can and (likely) will fuck you up just as much as your enemies,
I played it through on normal and positioning was easy enough, look sorry i disagree with your opinions and you feel i must have been playing it on easy mode to pull of this aoe spam i talk about but the combat to me really did just feel like a giant cluster fuck :/ I enjoyed the combat in DA2 a lot more ^^

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
Having just finished replaying the game,once again, I can say that despite it's many flaws Dragon Age II did get one thing done very well The characters. My best example to this will have to be the quest 'All that Remains' where both Hawke no matter how you played him is becoming more and more stressed, and at the end of it Gamlen correctly lashing out in grief(if no rightly doing so). Lets hope the next game improves on this and the first and i'll see you than.

Trek1701a

Aug 23, 2012
I didn't have any real problems myself with DAII, except for one issue I will get to. Sure they could've improved some things to make it better, but for me it wasn't that bad. However, there was one thing that totally destroyed the game for me. You go a long the game making decisions and at the end, you have the event that no matter what decisions you have made, what relationships you have fostered, etc. you can't change the outcome, it will always happen. I understand that Bioware wanted to set up the end game, but they could have made that event a bit more malleable depending on your choices. I had a hard time playing a second character because I knew the event was going to be there and there was nothing I could do about it.