The FIFA World Cup 2014 Thread

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Hah, great, I'm very chuffed to see Germany get the top spot. If any other team rather than England won, I'd hope it'd be them. Perhaps not the most interesting final ever but this certainly has been an interesting World Cup, thanks for the ride guys!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Omg gratz to germany, was a close close game and was expecting it to go on penalties.

Good thing extra time isn't more then 30 mins, I felt the game was getting increasingly scrappy and was more and more incidents and hard contacts that made me curl up a bit. Was also a bit too much shirt pulling for my tastes at times (also when an argentinian defender actually SHOVED a german player to try to push him over the line was a WTF moment that im surprised didnt get a yellow card for) but overall felt the spirit was good and both teams respected each other, saw quite a few players handshaking each other after tackles and such which is really nice to see.

Good final, Argentina might have lost but it was only by narrowest of margins and it could easily have gone to penalties and been a totally different story.

And so that's the end of this World Cup. Damn, good thing it's only once every 4 years.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Ah... Lionel... so dignified in defeat...

I rooted for Germany, but watching the post-match scenes, I do feel for Messi... especially now since he's been presented with the Golden Ball trophy... like I said, played a good match despite throwing up early on... again, so dignified... v_v

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Let's be fair to Argentina, they were playing a different game. The game of who can injure Schweinsteiger the most!

10 points for slide-kicking Schweinsteiger!

20 points for double slide-kicking!

50 points for clawing his eye out!

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
Exciting match. Thanks for building up this team, Löw (and Klinsmann)!

champion '54 - '74 - '90 - '14, I guess next time we'll win in 2034 (90 was a miscalculation, should've been in '94)

Good match from Argentina, the game was more balanced between the two teams than I expected. Was a close one until the end. But I quess, Germany deserved the title :)

Gorr

May 9, 2012
Congratulation Germany it is fully deserved. The only team who wanted to win in every game, it's a good day for the sport.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
Here's the list of individual awards, for anyone interested:

Golden Ball: Lionel Messi (ARG)
Silver Ball: Thomas Müller (GER)
Bronze Ball: Arjen Robben (NED)

Golden Boot: James Rodriguez (COL)
Silver Boot: Thomas Müller (GER)
Bronze Boot: Neymar (BRA)

Best Young Player (21 or younger): Paul Pogba (FRA)
Runner ups: Memphis Depay (NED) and Raphaël Varane (FRA)

Golden Glove: Manuel Neuer (GER)
Runner ups: Keylor Navas (CRC) and Sergio Romero (ARG)

FIFA Fair Play Trophy: Colombia

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Go team!

Maybe I'm trying to rationalize the cognitive dissonance of losing rather than winning. "We're second best, we played gallantly, they work individually but not collectively, they're effective but not efficient", etc. Surely there's a theory for every Argentine. To put it Solomonically, the Germans were better. That one snubbed penalty will sting forever, but they played better in general. I'm just glad I was able to follow the team this far for the first time in my life, and have a newfound perspective on the sport - both for good and bad.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
DEUTSCHLAAAAAAAAND!!

When I chose Germany as my adoptive team, I never ever thought they'd get this far. Ever. It's... Wow. Wow.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Muspelheim said:
DEUTSCHLAAAAAAAAND!!

When I chose Germany as my adoptive team, I never ever thought they'd get this far. Ever. It's... Wow. Wow.
They'd gotten this far 4 times already.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Go team!

Maybe I'm trying to rationalize the cognitive dissonance of losing rather than winning. "We're second best, we played gallantly, they work individually but not collectively, they're effective but not efficient", etc. Surely there's a theory for every Argentine. To put it Solomonically, the Germans were better. That one snubbed penalty will sting forever, but they played better in general. I'm just glad I was able to follow the team this far for the first time in my life, and have a newfound perspective on the sport - both for good and bad.
Germany definitely outplayed them, just, but I feel like Argentina are a bit hard done by because they've spent the whole tournament being touted as "Lionel Messi + 10 others." It sucks because a) they're definitely a more efficient tactical unit than they've been made out to be (especially compared to Brazil), and b) it should be obvious by now that the days of Maradona and Pele carrying a team on their shoulders are gone. Just look at Portugal for comparison.

The best thing of the tournament was that I learned the German team is called 'Die Mannschaft'. Best.Name.Ever.

Apr 8, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Muspelheim said:
DEUTSCHLAAAAAAAAND!!

Awww....I have the distinct feeling that somebody needs a little of encouragement :D

Anyway, Germany played an extremely good tournament and has rightfully earned the trophy in my opinion - for me its kind of the closing of the circle from the previous two Worldcups 2006 and 2010 and the European cups where Germany played like the devil too but also got too nervous in the decisive matches where they either ended up playing like shit (every match against Italy) or were rather obviously bested by an overall superior team (Spain). So I'm happy now that the Löw & Klinsmann renewal of the Team in 06' was finally rewarded :D

As for the game yesterday: Argentina fought to the best of its ability and it was by no means a foregone conclusion at any time. For instance, it was great to see that even after the goal by Götze the Argentinians didn't give up and did their best to try and turn the tables once more - a game with passion, great chances and awfully exciting to boot. A game worthy of a world cup final.

PS: It was also only three times up until now....

PPS: SCHLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!! ****

Brownie80

Jan 27, 2014
Oh my. This is something...
Maradona: Messi didn't deserve Golden Ball.
Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/maradona-messi-didnt-deserve-golden-125700538--sow.html
You are never done with the World Cup when it's only been a day.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Chromatic Aberration said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Muspelheim said:
DEUTSCHLAAAAAAAAND!!

Awww....I have the distinct feeling that somebody needs a little of encouragement :D
This is a picture of Argentinians after losing.