The final Evangelion film of the Rebuild series releases in Japan in March 8, 2021.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelion:_3.0+1.0_Thrice_Upon_a_Time

So in 2 days, we will see what may essentially be the finale to the entire Evangelion franchise. Or at least, the finale to the creator Hideki Anno working on this franchise.

And even though this will release first in Japan, definitely expect word to come out as to what are the plot details and events that will happen in this film.

Funny, that Evangelion will end before One Piece, Berserk, Vagabond, Book Game of Thrones, and Half Life 3.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I guess once subtitles are available I'll take that as an opportunity to finally watch the Rebuild movies. Not especially excited for them, already felt pretty ambivalent about End of Evangelion but they seem to be controversial enough to be potentially interesting.

Hope Anno makes more live action movies, now that he's officially done with Eva. I dug the hell out of Shin Godzilla. I think he has a few genuinely amazing movies in him.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

So in 2 days, we will see what may essentially be the finale to the entire Evangelion franchise. Or at least, the finale to the creator Hideki Anno working on this franchise.

And even though this will release first in Japan, definitely expect word to come out as to what are the plot details and events that will happen in this film.

Funny, that Evangelion will end before One Piece, Berserk, Vagabond, Book Game of Thrones, and Half Life 3.
Very much looking forward to this.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

What I find interesting is it's going to be 2.5 hours long, which is fucking long for an anime. Hell, that's like an hour longer then End of Evangelion. So it tells me either Anno is going to try to wrap up the rebuild or it's gonna be a lot more sad piano like 3.0 was.

Also, I really wanna know what's up with that title. 3.0+1.0? Like that's Kingdom Hearts level of weird fucking naming right there.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
What I find interesting is it's going to be 2.5 hours long, which is fucking long for an anime. Hell, that's like an hour longer then End of Evangelion. So it tells me either Anno is going to try to wrap up the rebuild or it's gonna be a lot more sad piano like 3.0 was.

Also, I really wanna know what's up with that title. 3.0+1.0? Like that's Kingdom Hearts level of weird fucking naming right there.
It was gonna be Rebuild of Evangelion FINAL, but I guess this is more "creative"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Two and a half hours? Shit, how do I get the wife and kids out of the house for that long.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Lock the door?

Yeah, please don't do that. I doubt this movie is worth risking your marriage over.
Well no movie is but it’s not gonna be appropriate for kids and my wife isn’t an anime person and we only have one tv with a BluRay player. I prefer to watch Evangelion in solitude anyway.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well no movie is but it’s not gonna be appropriate for kids and my wife isn’t an anime person and we only have one tv with a BluRay player. I prefer to watch Evangelion in solitude anyway.
I suggest you buy at least three more TVs. One for one of the kids bedroom(s)[assuming they share bedroom.], one for you and your wife's bedroom, and one for the guest room (assuming you have that room).

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I suggest you buy at least three more TVs. One for one of the kids bedroom(s)[assuming they share bedroom.], one for you and your wife's bedroom, and one for the guest room (assuming you have that room).
Yeah no. My kids are seven, they don’t get their own TV - especially in their room - until they’re in double digits. And even if they were there is t actually anywhere to put one. Ditto the master bedroom; mainly due the other furniture and orientation of the bed. The third bedroom is a shared office with my gaming rig making a television redundant.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah no. My kids are seven, they don’t get their own TV - especially in their room - until they’re in double digits.
Back when I was a child we got a TV in our bedroom. I was 4 and my older brother was 9. Every parent is different and with technology has advanced I don't blame you. But we love having a TV in our room; especially when we later got cable.

The third bedroom is a shared office with my gaming rig making a television redundant.
Understood. Welp, time for some good old bonding-screwed up anime fun! Ha! I suggest you get those kids to bed early or something. As for the wife, either get her up to snuff with Eva, or have leave the room for a couple of hours. As you said though, she is not big into anime, so you might wanna give her some context since it is Eva! I am sure you will figure something out.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Back when I was a child we got a TV in our bedroom. I was 4 and my older brother was 9. Every parent is different and with technology has advanced I don't blame you. But we love having a TV in our room; especially when we later got cable.

Understood. Welp, time for some good old bonding-screwed up anime fun! Ha! I suggest you get those kids to bed early or something. As for the wife, either get her up to snuff with Eva, or have leave the room for a couple of hours. As you said though, she is not big into anime, so you might wanna give her some context since it is Eva! I am sure you will figure something out.
Honestly putting the kids to bed and telling the wife to go out with her friends might be the go.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
I will be going in with the worst expectations, though still hoping against hope that the first 10 minutes and the trailer were a smokescreen and that we're getting something more than a shallow action movie with the Evangelion name stuck on it.

Everything that Anno has done besides the Rebuilds has been absolutely amazing. The man's technical abilities are always on point, and there's always something new or interesting in his movies.To use a couple of examples, Shin Godzilla is the best Godzilla movie to come out since the original, and Love & Pop is a psychological and existential roller-coaster. In many ways, that he has been stuck making the Rebuilds instead of working something else (and, I'd dare bet, something he'd actually want to make) feels like a travesty.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The fan meltdowns are going to be glorious, cuz I'm pretty sure Anno takes sadistic pleasure in not giving them what they want.

Also, calling it now, Shinji x Mari, because why not?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I was definitely one of those american early adopters of anime back in the 80s and 90s, but I never really got into NGE. I'm one of those crazy people ranting on corners about how Giant Robo deserved NGE's popularity and people pass quickly not knowing what I'm talking about. I just hated Shinji so much and found him totally unrealistic as a human being. I finally sat down and rewatched the updated series a couple years ago and like it for the most part. Watched the two after movies and these recent remakes. I'm kinda looking forward to this but I'll be damned if I even remember where it left off with how long it's been in between these movies. I guess I'm one of those lucky few with no real expectations.