The First Ghostbusters Trailer Ain't Afraid of No Ghost

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ravenshrike said:
Because, of course, the original had the super hot secretary who was meant to be eyecandy.
You seem to have quoted me by mistake. Otherwise, you seem to think you're rebutting things I'm not talking about.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Something Amyss said:
canadamus_prime said:
That's not how I remember either of them. Venkman was a womanizer and Egon... I can think of a good way to describe Egon.
Yes, and you can choose to be reductive and so can I.

The snark is what I remember of both of them.

But apparently, it's different because ponies.
I'm not even sure why you're being all reactionary. All I essentially said was that I didn't get a good first impression of these characters. Do you have some sort of personal investment that I don't know about?

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Why do the effects look like garbage? Why is the black woman the only who's not a scientist? Why is there no dead-pan Bill Murray-esque performance? Why is there a fucking action sequence in a ghost busters movie? Why am I not laughing?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Brian Tams said:
Why is the black woman the only who's not a scientist?
Because Ernie Hudson as Winston Zeddmore was the black guy and only non-scientist (at that time - he became a doctor by the time the videogame is set)
And apparently they want to recycle everything where they can.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Ehhhhhhh, pass. Wasn't too inspired before, less so now, though I sorta hope they commit to concept (even though I'm sure they won't) and make the villain a woman too. If it's the environmental protection agency again you could even do a pretty funny spin on the 'Dickless' line from the original.

EDIT: Also "New Trailer ain't afraid of no ghosts", it probably should be afraid... of film critics.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
1/ It wasn't funny (myself and my wife smiled at two jokes in the entire trailer. Two. Smiled, not laughed or chuckled. Smiled)
2/ it wasn't creepy/had hints of creepyness. Unlike the original.
3/ the ghosts look awful (anyone remember Disneys' haunted house ride? That, but brighter neons)
4/ It wasn't funny.
5/ The equipment looks like it comes from mattell. Compared to the originals stuff, which felt it might work, I took one look at this and went "ah, shitty cosplay style."
6/ Black stereotyping.
7/ IT WASN'T FUNNY!

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
CaptainMarvelous said:
Also "New Trailer ain't afraid of no ghosts", it probably should be afraid... of film critics.
I know I'm afraid of shitty movies.

. . .

Oh, wait, afraid of is not the word. Infuriated by, that's it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ravenshrike said:
Please show me a movie with a hot secretary where the protagonists are operating on completely shoestring budget
You're going on realism in a movie where that same "shoestring budget" allowed the creation of homemade particle accelerators which were man-portable, on top of their containment unit, based on a mortgage of an old house?

That's not selective at all.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Well, I was forced at fork-point to watch the trailer. It... wasn't that bad. Maybe I am just desensitized to shitty movies, but to me this just looks mediocre, a rental at best. Maybe it's just getting crucified since it's a continuation of a beloved franchise.

I thought the ghost effects looked pretty neat. The piano tune didn't do it for me; hitting the nostalgia keys worked for say, Jurassic World, but it just seemed out of place here.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I don't know why i keep coming back to this thread. People don't like to listen, they just assume, ignore and only pick what insults them to deflect into something else. Perhaps i am looking for hope, or reaffirmation that the internet is not for me. So forget any sensible arguments, let's just go with this meme;

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Happyninja42 said:
Oh that muscular guy is supposed to be their secretary? Interesting, didn't get that from the trailer. For some reason, I'd like to see him be the in house "stress reliever" for the team. That they've got this understanding polygamy going on with the guy. After a hard night of ghost busting, you need to unwind! Good thing we've got Hot Stud McGee on staff to handle this problem for us! Of course that won't happen, but I'd like to see it happen, and that they don't even really make any mention of it. It's just an understood thing between the 5 of them. Or whatever sexual combinations work for them, girl on girl, girl on guy on girl, whatever.

Is the guy some known actor? I couldn't make him out from the one shot of him they gave. Is he a comedian or something, to fill that role from the first movie?
Chris Hemsworth, AKA George Kirk and Thor, and I wouldn't have known he was their secretary if I didn't already know.
Oh, well that's promising at least. I find him pretty damn funny, so I think he'll be able to carry his weight in this comedy just fine. Hopefully they'll have some good chemistry between them, and make for some funny scenes.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Angry Joe put is well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9NdSGka9EM

It looks low-rent. The CGI is all brightly-neon ghosts - there's no sense of fright. The original movies mixed scary and action-comedy. This thing goes full comedy.

So ghosts can poses people which grants them super strength? Oh my? but they can be exorsized with a single slap to the face? Well that's not much a threat now is it.

If this was an all-male cast, it would be an Adam Sandler movie. Actually comparing this to Pixels for how its treating the IP its working with seems ironically apt.

The grit is gone. The original movies were all grounded in a slice-of-life realism (with ghosts and anti-ghost tech ofc)

Take the token black member of the team: Originally it was a black every-man who was just in it for a paycheck, who got in over his head. Now its a sassy black mammy with street-smarts - can you say painfully generic stereotype?

Angry Joe compares this to the Starship Troopers sequels. Its the R.I.P.D of Ghostbusters

Apr 24, 2008
Oh dear...

I mean... You always suspect that these reboots are going to be bad, but this looks pretty awful.

If it appears on Netflix somewhere down the line then curiosity might get the better of me, but asides from that scenario... Pass.