The First Ghostbusters Trailer Ain't Afraid of No Ghost

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Pure garbage.

The bigger set lady is suffering from Will Smith Syndrome

I'm coining that right here as the new term for when you are cast to play you instead of playing a character.
This differs from Sandler syndrome in that you actually have to be cast for the part, not be casting yourself and romping around with your buddies or parody yourself.

She ends up being the same person with the same shtick in every movie and it didn't stick as good the first time.

I found no highs here not even for her brand of comedy, the rest of the actors are forgettable, the trailer showcases it, we're here for her, she's supposed to be the female bill murray... and it falls flat.

Edit:

I take offence with the fact that the women have to make jokes about the fact that they're women, can't they just, y'know, make jokes.

Actually that's part of the bigger set ladies shtick as well ("I'm big I'm awkward I'm a woman") I just can't get past this one it has bad written all over it.

Second edit:

I forgot about the "hot man reveal"

that's also been overdone.... by her.

I'm sorry this could have been a thing honestly but the shtick reeks.

Third edit:
Someone pointed out the stereotypical portrayal of the black character and I concur.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Kuala BangoDango said:
otakon17 said:
You can imagine WINSTON smacking RAY in the face as he lays possessed on the ground and Ernie Hudson screaming "THE POWER OF WINSTON COMPELS YOU!" with Dan Akroyd going "That's gonna leave a mark!" afterwards? Truly?
Not Winston, no. Winston's character was way too serious for something like that. But I can easily imagine Ray doing it to Peter, or Peter to Ray.

I think that's one mistake people are making is that they're, like you did, trying to do a 100% comparison of the new characters with the old characters as if this were one of those superhero origin story re-makes they do every few years with a different actor playing the part of Superman and Spiderman. In this movie the original characters didn't die and get reincarnated as women. They clearly state in the trailer that this is decades later from the events in the original movies and these are completely new characters who happen to be women (and comedians of course). Different names, different backgrounds.

I do think though that the new movie did try to make it too similar to the original in some ways. If indeed these are completely new characters in the Ghostbusters universe then they didn't HAVE to have 3 white women and one african-american woman. Why not 2 white and 2 african-american, or an asian-american, or Indian-american, Russian, or anything else? Or heck, why not have 5 ladies instead of just 4, or 3 ladies and 2 men? By using the same quantity and racial makeup they DO invite direct comparisons with the original cast which I would think they shouldn't want. Same thing with having another library scene.

I agree though that this movie should NOT be people's first introduction to the Ghostbusters universe. Anyone interested in seeing this movie SHOULD watch the originals first if they haven't seen them before. I'd say that, though, to anyone about ANY new series based off and old one. People should watch the original Star Wars movies before the sequels/prequels. Same with Superman, and Batman, etc.
She's the non-scientist. SHE is supposed to be our layman explanation character comparable to Winston. Don't try and say otherwise. She's the audience stand in and she's very loud. Least she seems to be. Though glad to see someone else agree that this should NOT be the first bit of Ghostbusters someone should have contact with.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
reciprocal said:
Probably would have liked it more if it was a movie based on Extreme Ghostbusters
I would have REALLY liked that. Extreme Ghostbusters had memorable characters and some DAMN crazy ghost designs and out-there stories. But they didn't, they did this. *sighs*

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Happyninja42 said:
Oh, well that's promising at least. I find him pretty damn funny, so I think he'll be able to carry his weight in this comedy just fine. Hopefully they'll have some good chemistry between them, and make for some funny scenes.
If nothing else, he's hot charming, so there's that.

The least I can say is he certainly can't hurt the movie at this point.
Yeah, I'm trying to think of a role he's done that I've seen, that I didn't enjoy. Granted it's not much, but he's always been an enjoyable actor to me. He doesn't take himself too seriously, and is willing to poke fun at himself if he needs to. Which I always appreciate in an actor, especially if they are a hot/sexy leading man/woman. I expect he's going to have fun with his part, even if the movie sucks, which I hope it doesn't. I don't want this movie to blow, I just fear, based on what I've seen, it's not going to be anything more than a mediocre comedy movie, that doesn't really capture what made the Ghostbuster movies (yes, plural, I like GB 2) fun. Sort of like a Cargo Cult, they're going to mimic the actions that struck gold the first time, without any real understanding of what made them good.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Yeah, I'm trying to think of a role he's done that I've seen, that I didn't enjoy. Granted it's not much, but he's always been an enjoyable actor to me. He doesn't take himself too seriously, and is willing to poke fun at himself if he needs to. Which I always appreciate in an actor, especially if they are a hot/sexy leading man/woman. I expect he's going to have fun with his part, even if the movie sucks, which I hope it doesn't. I don't want this movie to blow, I just fear, based on what I've seen, it's not going to be anything more than a mediocre comedy movie, that doesn't really capture what made the Ghostbuster movies (yes, plural, I like GB 2) fun. Sort of like a Cargo Cult, they're going to mimic the actions that struck gold the first time, without any real understanding of what made them good.
I keep hoping with Reitman onboard, and Aykroyd at least somewhat involved (hopefully not just to sell his vodka), that there will be some understanding of what made the original work. I mean, I'm kind of beating a dead horse at this point, but Reitman's Evolution was still a solid Ghostbusters movie, even if not in name. I think it proves the concept can work. I'm just worried it maybe won't translate to this production.

But yeah, Hemsworth seems like a fun actor. He reminds me of Heath Ledger in his less serious roles. And not just because of the accent. >.> I just mean the approach. I don't know how good he is as a serious actor, but that really shouldn't matter in a Ghostbusters movie. Even the deadpan characters weren't so serious.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
otakon17 said:
reciprocal said:
Probably would have liked it more if it was a movie based on Extreme Ghostbusters
I would have REALLY liked that. Extreme Ghostbusters had memorable characters and some DAMN crazy ghost designs and out-there stories. But they didn't, they did this. *sighs*
I mean, Extreme Ghostbusters wasn't perfect but I think it was too far ahead of its time. Given the success of Force Awakens and the trend of making 80s/90s caroons 'gritty', it would really be a good idea to do a modern sequel where the old generation hands the reigns over to a new generation.

I can't even tell whether this movie is a reboot or a sequel.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
I never even understood why people like ghost busters at all. I tried giving it a shot once when I was younger and it bored me. I tried it again when I was older, and it still bored me. The first thirty minutes either made me hate the characters, or want them to get thrown under a bus depending on how either stupid they were, or just how unlikable I found them. The humor seems to be a mix of childish, and adult in the worst way possible. But I may just be a **** who doesn't like movies in general (Which is absolutely true!)

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
Thought it looked enjoyable. Kate McKinnon in particular stood out. So yeah, consider me "cautiously optimistic" too.
I'll agree with the second sentence only. Kate McKinnon looks like she'll be the single hope for making this a somewhat entertaining movie.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
reciprocal said:
otakon17 said:
reciprocal said:
I mean, Extreme Ghostbusters wasn't perfect but I think it was too far ahead of its time. Given the success of Force Awakens and the trend of making 80s/90s caroons 'gritty', it would really be a good idea to do a modern sequel where the old generation hands the reigns over to a new generation.

I can't even tell whether this movie is a reboot or a sequel.
It's a reboot, plain and simple. They're remaking Ghostbusters with a different plot and an all female main cast. The only reason they mention the originals is to drum up nostalgia, besides the cameos of folks from the original movies the Ghostbusters don't exist in this universe the movie is set in.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Sadly it's just a 'meh' trailer. The ghosts aren't as good as the original and the jokes aren't funny.

Shame, I liked the cast.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
After rewatching that trailer I stand corrected: this is the first time I felt a character to be this genuinely racist (sassy black woman).

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
So they use an excess of 'slime' (ectoplasm) in comparison to the originals. [I know the 2nd one was all about the river of ectoplam controlled by Vigo in the museum painting; that was the plot of the movie and still held it's own as being seldom used and not looking like the stuff from a Nickelodeon awards show.]

CGI explosions! Or the explosive use of CGI. Either way it makes the ghosts look less ghostly and more like a dead circus. Seriously....a dead freakin' circus! The original had ghosts look like ghosts and demons look like demons (Key Master and Gate Keeper). The titanic looked like the wrecked ship it was with a normal group of undead ship crew stepping off it. Ghosts boarded between normal lookies and zombies. These new Ghostbuster ghosts are far too glowy. TOO MUCH GLOW!~
I'm sorry I'm not defending this movie or anything but it was rare in the original Ghostbusters movies that the ghosts actually looked as they did when they were alive. I can only think of 4 occasions that happened. Other times they were representations of their nature as humans and looked like Slimer, The Scoleri Brothers, The things that manifested when Vigo's slime was overflowing onto the streets.

Things were just as "glowy"...if I understand your use of that word correctly.

Feb 26, 2014
A Ghostbusters. A timeless classic. A cultural icon! Never saw it. :\ I do recognize the theme, but whenever I hear it I instinctively sing "Vage-geta-geta"

As for the trailer... This is going to be a comedy, right? And why didn't they use the theme song? The fan cut trailer, while still not funny, is at least a little better thanks to the addition of the theme song that so many, fans and non-fans alike, know and love. Anyway, the trailer sucks and I don't like the black woman. I mean I really don't like her. Cringed whenever she opened her mouth. I don't think I'll enjoy this film.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
If only every average movie trailer were capable of generating so much angst and rage....

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So I felt like putting this here, because after re-watching it just now, I felt it needed to be said. This is the original trailer for the original ghostbusters movie.

Frankly, it's not that good of a trailer. It's just as cheezy and corny as the reboot version. There is no actual scare or tension in this trailer, it's all goofy one liners and that theme song, which while catchy, isn't spooky. Not to mention the trailer condenses the entire film's arc into a 2 minute highlights reel. It's just a trailer people. Yeah it's not a very good trailer, but if I saw the original GB trailer today, I'd equally think it looked like a stupid comedy with little actual quality to it.

So while I don't think the trailer for the new GB is very good, let's not forget that the original material isn't very good looking in trailer format either. So contain the calamity that is your mammaries, and just let the new movie do it's thing. We'll judge it when it actually comes out ok?

Captain Marvelous said:
A Ghostbusters. A timeless classic. A cultural icon! Never saw it. :\ I do recognize the theme, but whenever I hear it I instinctively sing "Vage-geta-geta"
God Dammit Nappa!

Captain Marvelous said:
As for the trailer... This is going to be a comedy, right? And why didn't they use the theme song? The fan cut trailer, while still not funny, is at least a little better thanks to the addition of the theme song that so many, fans and non-fans alike, know and love. Anyway, the trailer sucks and I don't like the black woman. I mean I really don't like her. Cringed whenever she opened her mouth. I don't think I'll enjoy this film.
Why wouldn't they update the theme song? Frankly, that version screams "I WAS COMPOSED IN THE 80'S!!" Personally I like the dubstep version, it's just as synthesized as the original, but has more depth/weight to it in my opinion.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
camazotz said:
If only every average movie trailer were capable of generating so much angst and rage....
Hey, give it credit where it's due: it's also generated a ridiculous amount of self-righteousness and borderline incoherent love:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2016/03/03/ghostbusters-trailer-destroys-patriarchy-melissa-mccarthy-paul-feig-kristen-wiig-leslie-jones-kate-mckinnon-chris-hemsworth/81258406/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/03/04/people-are-hating-the-ghostbusters-trailer-guess-why/
http://www.salon.com/2016/03/03/back_off_men_theyre_scientists_new_ghostbusters_trailer_gets_slimed_by_sexist_trolls/

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
ravenshrike said:
Happyninja42 said:
So I felt like putting this here, because after re-watching it just now, I felt it needed to be said. This is the original trailer for the original ghostbusters movie.

Frankly, it's not that good of a trailer. It's just as cheezy and corny as the reboot version. There is no actual scare or tension in this trailer, it's all goofy one liners and that theme song, which while catchy, isn't spooky.
Well, except for the initial intro. That was mildly spooky. And then there's the fact that the ghosts appear more dangerous, and can't simply be slapped out of someone. No lite brite ghosts either. Moranis' possession is MUCH more threatening than McCarthy's. Also, y'know, actual conflict in the trailer, not just lite brite circus. Are you sure you watched the trailer?
Quite sure. And you think Moranis' possession is more threatening than McCarthy's?! You did see the part where she grabbed her friend by the throat and bodily dragged her to the window to throw her out right? Moranis does nothing like that at all. And sorry, the ghosts don't look scary, that giggling white ghost that comes up out of the subway tunnel sounds like a chipmunk on helium, giggling. I find the spectral glowy ghosts far more intimidating simply based on appearance. Yeah, lite brite ghosts, so much lamer than an obviously puppet ghost being wiggled around by studio grips off camera. At least with the new ghosts, it's actually people, so the actors have someone to act with, and not just a tennis ball to track.

And no matter how much tension you might try and invest into those scenes from the original, in the trailer, that goofy ass theme song is playing over all of it, bleeding out any tension at all. I love the song, don't get me wrong, but it's not tension generating. It's campy as hell.