The First Two RollerCoaster Tycoon Games are Available on Mobile as RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The First Two RollerCoaster Tycoon Games are Available on Mobile as RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic

RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic, which combines elements from the original game and its sequel, is now available for Android and iOS.

RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic, which merges features from 1999 classic RollerCoaster Tycoon and its 2002 sequel RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, is now available on Android and iOS, publisher Atari has announced.

"As the creator of the original RollerCoaster Tycoon PC games many years ago, I have seen how much excitement and entertainment they have brought to players all over the world," said producer Chris Sawyer. "It was my long term ambition to bring the classic game to modern touch screen devices as its visual style and tactile nature are so well suited to smartphones and tablets. Working with Origin8 Technologies' development team, we have been able to modernize the classic gameplay for touch screen devices while preserving the unique graphical style of the original RCT games. I believe fans of the RCT series will greatly enjoy playing the classic titles enhanced on a new platform."

[gallery=6709]

"Bringing RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic to handheld devices was important to us because we wanted to share the authentic playability and depth of gameplay of the original RCT games to both a new audience and long-time fans of the series," said Fred Chesnais, Chief Executive Officer at Atari. "Working with Chris Sawyer has been a wonderful experience and it has enabled us to remain faithful to the RCT games that successfully launched the RCT franchise."

The game is available for $5.99, includes 95 scenarios from the two games, and does include in-app purchases, including $1.99 for add-ons Wacky Worlds and Time Twister.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
I presume that the content is the full first game, its two addons and the sequel rolled into one single game and not two seperate games (RCT1 with it's rules and RCT2 with the others). Not sure if that's an improvement for the first or a downgrade as I always felt the first game was overall surperior, just lacking a bit behind in customer AI and ride decoration.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
In app purchases for a paid mobile port of game from 1999. Classic modern games industry BS; guess I'll stick with the PC version.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
And yet this looks better and more fun than RCT World... this looks like it will be more succesfull too.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Wow, this looks like a pain in the ass to properly play on mobile.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Battenberg said:
In app purchases for a paid mobile port of game from 1999. Classic modern games industry BS; guess I'll stick with the PC version.
Only for the DLC, its not like u have to pay to build each ride.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Buizel91 said:
Battenberg said:
That 'DLC' can't even be purchased separately on PC anymore (at least not digitally), it's just part of the game now. Probably because, and I may have mentioned this, these games go as far back as 1999 and who's going to buy 17 year old DLC. For context iPhones and android phones didn't even exist until 07/08.

If it's not an issue for you simply because "it could be worse" that's up to you (no doubt today's game publishers will be glad to hear another person's bought into that mindset). Personally given the price of this release, the age of the originals, and the high likelihood it'll play worse on mobile than PC I find this need to bleed customers for a few bucks more over such dated DLC pretty galling and a total deal breaker.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Battenberg said:
Buizel91 said:
Battenberg said:
That 'DLC' can't even be purchased separately on PC anymore (at least not digitally), it's just part of the game now. Probably because, and I may have mentioned this, these games go as far back as 1999 and who's going to buy 17 year old DLC. For context iPhones and android phones didn't even exist until 07/08.
Well, the two expansion packs for the sequel (not even the first game, those are, apparently, included by default) for 2 bucks each sounds fair. Especially when most people seem to think that those are usually not worth it to begin with.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Bindal said:
Especially when most people seem to think that those are usually not worth it to begin with.
This. Wacky Worlds and Time Twister are among the worst expansion packs for a game I've ever seen and frankly I'd probably pay extra to remove them from my GOG copy of RCT2.