The Flash Gets Extended Trailer

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
John Mulaney is The Flash!? No for sure he'll be cracking the best jokes! Although Flash' mom had me in stitches with her "better to have a good heart than fast legs" crap.

Anybody else got a "Run, Forest, Run!" flashback?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Since it's made by the same guys that made Arrow it sure gives me vibes of that TV show..from how it's shot to the music and how the trailer was made.

Which is a good thing, because I loved Arrow. Will definitely be watching this once it's becomes available.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I only have one question. Does this mean no Flash in a Justice League movie (also known as Superman versus Batman, apparently)?

I know there are issues with rights that can make it so that characters can't appear in different series at the same time. So, would the existence of this show preclude Flash appearing in a Justice League movie, since this should mean that the CW has the rights to Flash and not Warner Bros? Or would THIS Flash appear in the movie? Or could they use another Flash like Wally? Or is there no issue and they could use Barry and not have him be tied to this show?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Saltyk said:
I only have one question. Does this mean no Flash in a Justice League movie (also known as Superman versus Batman, apparently)?

I know there are issues with rights that can make it so that characters can't appear in different series at the same time. So, would the existence of this show preclude Flash appearing in a Justice League movie, since this should mean that the CW has the rights to Flash and not Warner Bros? Or would THIS Flash appear in the movie? Or could they use another Flash like Wally? Or is there no issue and they could use Barry and not have him be tied to this show?
All the rights to DC characters(and DC itself) are owned by Warner Bros., which owns the movie studio that makes the DC movies and half the television network "The CW" on which these shows air. There no disputes or anything like that.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
See, this is what I was worried about when they started announcing superhero TV shows. TV production works with a much smaller budget than movies, so attempts to show the powers look awful. Arrow doesn't have any real flashy superpowered individuals, so they could mostly get away with it, and Agents of SHIELD kept it to a minimum. But Flash is one of the more (pardon the pun) flashy characters in DC. Guys like Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard and such throwing around all kinds of lasers and advanced technology and crap like that.

Also, as others have pointed out, while some guys might like Arrow, it just seems too much like "The Not Dark Knight Show" to me, and that aesthetic probably won't work with Flash. Maybe I'm wrong. It could end up being awesome. But this isn't giving me much confidence.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Is it just me, or does the Arrow look and sound much happier than in his own series? Then again, maybe he'll just brighten up a little in season 3 (which I expect to be happening around the same time as the first season of The Flash)

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I'm not as up to speed (no pun) on my DC characters as I am with Marvel. Is that Barry Allen's backstory? Did his parents get Tom and Martha Wayned?

If not it seems like a needlessly grim focal point for what's shaping up to be a more lighthearted series.

Kudos for committing to the Weather Wizard as a series villain. I always like it when comic movies/shows just own up to how fucking goofy the source material is.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
From what I'm seeing:

Effects: Pretty good. Looks like they're actually using his powers in a more fun manner than just having him run fast and punch like in the 2000s one, which I did like.

Tone: Already seeing a little too much grim-dark. This is already looking like they're trying to make another character into Batman. Again.

Costume: I'm gonna be picky on this and say "Is it that much to ask for the right shade of red?" Seriously, you grim-darked the costume of one of the brightest characters in DC?

Comic Accuracy: Gonna ***** again. Pretty sure Barry didn't actually SEE his mom murdered. And he designed his own costume. And Barry is blonde.

Not a fan of Arrow, hoping this will actually be more fun than this is looking to be because this is already hitting a lot of clichés I see with DC's TV and Movie stuff.

Apr 17, 2009
I don't mind so much the darker red for the costume. Sort of reminds me of the Justice League Unlimited incarnation

Always that shade of darker red, surprising as he was the comic relief.

I think maybe they've given too much away in the plot though. I think I could make a fair guess as to how the first episode is going to go based on what they showed with Weather Wizard, and as soon as someone named Hunter Zolomon or Eobard Thawne shows up thats the mystery of who killed his mother gone

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
Diddy_Mao said:
I'm not as up to speed (no pun) on my DC characters as I am with Marvel. Is that Barry Allen's backstory? Did his parents get Tom and Martha Wayned?

If not it seems like a needlessly grim focal point for what's shaping up to be a more lighthearted series.

Kudos for committing to the Weather Wizard as a series villain. I always like it when comic movies/shows just own up to how fucking goofy the source material is.
Yeah his whole motivation for joining the police, going into forensics was to solve crimes like his mothers murder. Going the legit way instead of leaping straight to the cape and cowl.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Willstown said:
Diddy_Mao said:

Yeah his whole motivation for joining the police, going into forensics was to solve crimes like his mothers murder. Going the legit way instead of leaping straight to the cape and cowl.
In that case I retract my previous statement, I had no idea Barry Allen's mother was murdered.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
Again with the dead parents. Can no one have alive parents in DC's universe anymore?
Marvel characters have the similar "dead parents" cliche too you know. Tony Stark, Peter Parker. Heck even Magneto's parents were torn away from him. I agree though that comic book characters have to much of that.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Gordon_4 said:
Willstown said:
Diddy_Mao said:

In that case I retract my previous statement, I had no idea Barry Allen's mother was murdered.
I'm not familiar with the Flash beyond common knowledge. I know there is some "feud" between different "Flash families," to see whose family line was the fastest, maybe? The Allens vs the Gordons, I think? That said, though I'm hearing this is true to form, I'm already turned off by:

1) "who killed my parent(s)?"

and

2) "it wasn't an accident. It was destiny. You were chosen." Personally, I hate the "destiny" angles. I'd rather see an average Joe/Jane that finds themselves in a spectacular situation and is able to rise above it, than "trust in yourself. You are destined for great things." So the line from Arrow about the lighting "choosing him," or whatever it was that he said, made me groan.

I'm also put out by him being a part of a team. I did get a little bit of an "Agents of SHIELD" vibe when I saw them (not the show itself, rather "we need characters around him to guide him"). I know there are certain checkboxes that have to be filled when making a production, but I'd have liked to have seen an every day guy that just happened to get hit by magic lightning, eventually decide "I will do good things because I can," not "I will do good things because I was chosen/destined to."

Something else that always bothered me about The Flash, and speed characters in general: force is the result of (mass x acceleration), yes? So shouldn't The Flash, running at super speed, and doing what amounts to HITTING someone out of the way of a speeding vehicle, collide with the person with so much force that he ends up doing as much, or more damage to them than had he left them to be hit by the car? It always bothered me that Flash could come running in at 700 miles per hour, grab hold of someone, whisk them out of harm's way, and then casually set them down a short distance away and ask "are you okay?" NO! THEY'RE NOT! You just hit them traveling at 700 miles an hour. Their bones and internal organs should have been destroyed by the G Force of the sudden acceleration alone, let alone the impact and sudden deceleration. Is this ever explained away in the comics?

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
This looks like it could be fun. I've enjoyed Arrow thus far, and this looks a little lighter and with more super powers. Also as someone who hasn't read the comics, is Barry supposed to be big on the funny? I'm certain Wally is, but Barry I honestly know nothing about.

Apr 5, 2008
Didn't they think to cast anybody older than 12 years old? My word, they're all kids.
And what's up with that stupid yellow shit when he's running? Even Smallville had better SFX for super-speed.

TerranV

Feb 19, 2014
Gordon_4 said:
Willstown said:
Diddy_Mao said:

His mother was mysteriously murdered (later revaled that Reverse Flash was the culprit) and his father was arrested for it. He became a forensic scientist to solve the case and prove his father's innocence.