The Flash Questions Oliver's Methods On Arrow

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
The Flash Questions Oliver's Methods On Arrow

"The Brave and the Bold" brings The Flash and his team to Starling City to help The Arrow fight Captain Boomerang in the second part of the crossover event.

Read Full Article

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I loved how they did Captain Boomerangs fighting style, and his one liners were so bad they were good. Really enjoyed both parts of the Crossover overall.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
So is it just going to be standard practice for Arrow now to get all it's big villains from Spartacus? Also, if they are going to make Laurel into Black Canary, then they REALLY need to have her put on some weight. You can't be a martial arts powerhouse if you weigh less than a buck... Yes, Bruce Lee was small, but A: When he took his shirt off it was all muscle, and B: He still weighed over 100lbs.

What I am saying is that if Katie Cassidy is seriously going to try to portray Black Canary then she needs to be able to convince audiences that she can take down a guy who is 6'3 250lbs, in fact she needs to be able to take down three guys that size. Especially since she doesn't have the sonic boom voice that her comic book character counterpart does.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
So, is the entire Suicide Squad dead, except for Boomerang? That's what it sounded like. Considering what a major player Deadshot was in the first two seasons, and (if memory serves) the as-yet unresolved issue of Diggle's brother's death, it would surprise me if he was killed off offscreen.

Anyway, the crossover was executed at a quality far beyond my expectations. Embracing the contrasting tones of the two shows rather than hiding from them was a bold strategy, and it certainly worked out.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Yojoo said:
So, is the entire Suicide Squad dead, except for Boomerang? That's what it sounded like. Considering what a major player Deadshot was in the first two seasons, and (if memory serves) the as-yet unresolved issue of Diggle's brother's death, it would surprise me if he was killed off offscreen.

Anyway, the crossover was executed at a quality far beyond my expectations. Embracing the contrasting tones of the two shows rather than hiding from them was a bold strategy, and it certainly worked out.
Ya, I'm sure they wouldn't kill Deadshot off screen. If you think about it, Boomerang wasn't in the first squad so it was probably a separate group from the one Diggle was on.

I really enjoyed both parts of the crossover as well. I'm not sure which episode I preferred. Honestly, I enjoyed the Arrow stuff more in the Flash episode and the Flash stuff more in the Arrow episode. Some of the messages/learning moments were a little too on the nose (as they are fairly often in these shows), but they were both a lot of fun and offered some of the best action scenes yet.

Boomerang was awesome and I'm loving the idea that he might return with Deathstroke (Crixus and Ashur together again). His action scenes were great. The villain from the Flash episode was just a plot device, but I'm okay with that considering what it allowed them to do.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
...and this is why I'm hopeful that the 'Supergirl' or even the 'Titans' spin-offs won't suck.

It kind of amazes me that both Arrow and The Flash have managed to not only be GOOD, but getting BETTER.

It's like we live in this weird bizarro land were like-action comic book style TV series aren't mediocre (Birds of Prey) or complete shit (The Cape).

Plus, with Constantine getting BETTER (minus EP6 which sucked) as it goes on...
I have hope, hope for DC.

Well, hope for DC's TV division.
DC films...yeah, no hope there.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest Captain Boomerang is a guy who really deserves to be tortured, at least in the comics, I'm just saying. His entire schtick is an arrogant, racist, sleazebag. There aren't too many things that are too bad to happen to him. :)

I'll also say that they really do need to keep "Arrow" dark and brutal to be honest, and keep to an "the end justifies the means" attitude. The reason is simply that if they lighten everything up then there won't be any contrast between the two shows, and the way they have defined things "Arrow" lacks the high camp touches that allows the comic book version to get away with the attitudes he does. See, it's easy to be a moralist when your super powerful, and in the case of "The Flash" are going to recovery from injuries and such in record time. When your just a normal guy things are a lot different, especially when your fighting guys much more powerful than you are. In the comics where gadgets are camped up to the point of entirely ignoring physics and common sense it blurs that distinction, in the comics Green Arrow pretty much pulls out the "do anything" arrow to solve problems, including some crazy Rube Goldberg seeming arrows with things like boxing gloves on the end (I think they even made references about this in the show). In the TV show he's pretty much got normal arrows, and what gadgets he has are borderline believable in a modern context, he's not going to say both freeze someone in a block of nice, and then later say unfreeze Superman with his special "de-icing arrow" he carries just for that purpose.

Ideally you'd probably see a Batman-Superman type relationship here, Batman doesn't kill (that's part of the quintessential code) but he does torture people and so on, albeit Batman doesn't pull out the hooks and razor blades so much as he just beats on people until they talk, dangles them off buildings (or sticks their head through a manhole cover into speeding traffic), or heck even drops them from great heights and catches them at the last second with a batarang. Sure Batman doesn't kill, but most criminals who run into him wind up being REALLY unsure of that unless like The Joker and other key rogues gallery members they have dealt with him enough to put it to the test.

My attitude might be different if we had an actual Batman show, but right now we've pretty much got Arrow and The Flash and to me having one of them remain a "Dark Hero" makes sense as does playing styles off each other while maintaining a degree of respect for each other's methods even where they disagree.

What might be interesting as a storyline for another crossover might be for The Flash to guilt Arrow into trying to play things totally "straight" and get pulverized for it and put in a coma (he doesn't heal super fast) while he'll of course recover The Flash getting more respect for his methods and why a normal guy needs to act like that to be a super hero might come out of it. It would give an excuse to have The Flash step up in power level as he tries to protect both cities in Arrow's absence.

Just my thoughts at any rate. Too much "dark" ruins comic books especially when you don't have anyone to contrast those heroes with when everyone becomes a dark hero. With the TV shows however doing one each way makes sense.