The FOOD (& Drink) Thread

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Made some disgusting high-calorie protein bars. It's like a cake, but all the incredients have been replaced with peanut butter and sugar.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What's the difference between Vietnamese curry and Indian curry?
I wouldn't know, because I've never had Indian food at all.

It looks less thick, little more watery.
I will say it's less thick than your standard Chinese or Japanese curry, but it's not too watery. There's still some thickness to it.

How's the flavor base?
Damn excellent. The curry definitely got a natural taste to it. The chick curry has carrots, potatoes, and onions as well.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
For my game day contribution we're bringing a veggie platter and I made a bolognese.

My sister in law thinks I'm bringing what you often get at even the best Italian restaurants: Pasta sauce with ground beef.

Real Bolognese is a much more hearty and complex dish.

Ingredients (mostly doubled up for party)
Olive oil 2 tsp
Uncooked fennel bulb(s) (I didn't use this as the wife hates it) 1 item(s), small, chopped
Uncooked onion(s)1 small, chopped
Uncooked carrot(s) 1 medium, cut into 1/4-inch dice
Uncooked celery 1 rib(s), medium, cut into 1/4-inch dice
Garlic 4 medium clove(s), minced (I did this even though the wife hates it. Cooking Italian food w/o garlic is like holding off on salt and pepper in any other dinner. Integral to the dish. She notice. I got yelled at. I can take it.)
Uncooked 93% (I used 85%) lean ground beef ½ pound(s)
Uncooked 96% lean ground pork ½ pound(s) (85% again)
Table salt 1 tsp
Red pepper flakes ¼ tsp
Black pepper ¼ tsp
Canned crushed tomatoes 28 oz
Grated Parmesan cheese ½ cup(s), divided
2% reduced fat milk ⅓ cup(s) (Wife wants skim. I can do that.)
Uncooked whole wheat spaghetti 16 oz (Sister in law using the real stuff)
Basil ½ cup(s), fresh, chopped (I got the very last bunch at the store).
1673194441981.png

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
For my game day contribution we're bringing a veggie platter and I made a bolognese.

My sister in law thinks I'm bringing what you often get at even the best Italian restaurants: Pasta sauce with ground beef.

Real Bolognese is a much more hearty and complex dish.

Ingredients (mostly doubled up for party)
Olive oil 2 tsp
Uncooked fennel bulb(s) (I didn't use this as the wife hates it) 1 item(s), small, chopped
Uncooked onion(s)1 small, chopped
Uncooked carrot(s) 1 medium, cut into 1/4-inch dice
Uncooked celery 1 rib(s), medium, cut into 1/4-inch dice
Garlic 4 medium clove(s), minced (I did this even though the wife hates it. Cooking Italian food w/o garlic is like holding off on salt and pepper in any other dinner. Integral to the dish. She notice. I got yelled at. I can take it.)
Uncooked 93% (I used 85%) lean ground beef ½ pound(s)
Uncooked 96% lean ground pork ½ pound(s) (85% again)
Table salt 1 tsp
Red pepper flakes ¼ tsp
Black pepper ¼ tsp
Canned crushed tomatoes 28 oz
Grated Parmesan cheese ½ cup(s), divided
2% reduced fat milk ⅓ cup(s) (Wife wants skim. I can do that.)
Uncooked whole wheat spaghetti 16 oz (Sister in law using the real stuff)
Basil ½ cup(s), fresh, chopped (I got the very last bunch at the store).
View attachment 7679
Pretty similar to my bolognese sauce. Tip: add some pancetta or gianciale cut into 1/4 inch dice to your sauce. Gives your sauce a bunch of depth. For even more flavor, give it a quick turn in the pan before adding (no oil or butter, let it bake in its own fat). For the amount you're making about 1/2 pound should be fine. Tends to be very salty tho, so might wanna reduce or even cut out the table salt entirely.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Pretty similar to my bolognese sauce. Tip: add some pancetta or gianciale cut into 1/4 inch dice to your sauce. Gives your sauce a bunch of depth. For even more flavor, give it a quick turn in the pan before adding (no oil or butter, let it bake in its own fat). For the amount you're making about 1/2 pound should be fine. Tends to be very salty tho, so might wanna reduce or even cut out the table salt entirely.

My suggestion? Buy a bottle of Prego, dump it over some noodles and call it good.

Reactions: gorfias and Chimpzy

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

My suggestion? Buy a bottle of Prego, dump it over some noodles and call it good.
You know, some of the genuinely best pasta I've ever had was made in my girlfriend's condo where we just simmered canned tomatoes with onions and garlic, dumped that shit over some fresh noods with a bit of sliced cheese, and sprinkled some dried parsley.

I mean obviously you can do so much better than that, but I was shocked at how good it was with essentially no effort. Pasta be a magical thing.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You know, some of the genuinely best pasta I've ever had was made in my girlfriend's condo where we just simmered canned tomatoes with onions and garlic, dumped that shit over some fresh noods with a bit of sliced cheese, and sprinkled some dried parsley.

I mean obviously you can do so much better than that, but I was shocked at how good it was with essentially no effort. Pasta be a magical thing.

We can’t go back to jar sauce very easily anymore. A small can of tomato paste/water adds some nice texture too. Gotta let it simmer altogether for about 15-20 minutes, even before adding any meat. Also a bit of sugar helps neutralize the acidity if heartburn is ever a concern.

Reactions: gorfias

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.

That essentially is marinara sauce. When my mom shuts down her vegetable garden for the year she starts canning vegetables. I come over and cook down all the tomatoes into sauce so she can can it. And all I put in it is oregano, garlic, and salt. Sometimes a little basil.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
We can’t go back to jar sauce very easily anymore. A small can of tomato paste/water adds some nice texture too. Gotta let it simmer altogether for about 15-20 minutes, even before adding any meat. Also a bit of sugar helps neutralize the acidity if heartburn is ever a concern.
Oh yeah, I forgot the tomato paste (mainly because the last time I was there she forgot to buy some). Really does help, as well as the simmering. We made the mistake last time of cooking the sauce basically the same amount of time as the pasta, the flavor was significantly less.

That essentially is marinara sauce. When my mom shuts down her vegetable garden for the year she starts canning vegetables. I come over and cook down all the tomatoes into sauce so she can can it. And all I put in it is oregano, garlic, and salt. Sometimes a little basil.
For some reason, in my head, marinara sauce must have olives.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
For some reason, in my head, marinara sauce must have olives.
There's a lot of things you can put in it. I've heard people swear by anchovy paste instead of salt, I haven't tried it yet. My dad likes it when I make sauce The Godfather style. Cooking up a bunch of sausage, then taking out the cooked sausage and deglazing the fond with some wine and then cooking down the tomatoes right in the wine/fond/sausage grease. He likes the sauce, but I suspect he likes having that much cooked Italian sausage around so he can make his favorite grilled sub sandwich.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Microwaved scrambled eggs with a can of tuna in it. Pretty good. Takes about four minutes to make.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Today, I had spicy misoh ramen 🍜, yellow tail and scallion sushi, and Calamansi juice.
I kind of wish I had taken pictures, on Fri I had spicy black garlic tonkotsu ramen and for the very first time ever, takoyaki. Mostly I ordered it because I was with my parents and knew they wouldn't order anything interesting. I don't get why they aren't more adventurous. They both got a pretty standard pork or chicken rice bowl. I offered them some of the takoyaki, but they wouldn't even try it until I told them exactly what was in it. And of course they noped out when I told them it was octopus.

Then, it turns out I don't like takoyaki either. Not because of the octopus, that was fine. It is the (?batter.) It is cooked and pancake like on the outside, but the inside is very uncooked. Like a pancake that still has batter on the inside. I think I would have liked it if it were a little more "well done."

Reactions: BrawlMan