hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Because who doesn’t love them both?!

Post anything food (and drink) related.

Go!

My Friday lunch for the past couple years -

Clean Juice Balanced Bowl w/ organic mixed greens, quinoa, hard boiled egg, feta, goji berries, hemp seeds, walnuts

Protein Toast w/ sprouted grain toast, avocado, hard boiled egg, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes

Not to leave meat out in the cold -

Sirloin at Black Rock Grill. Cook the hunk of meat yourself on a 755 degree slab of “volcano rock” and sauce/season it up as much as you like. It’s the best bang for the buck steak I’ve had. So tender n juicy.

On the sweeter side -

Panukaku (Finnish pancakes)

1/2 stick butter
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup cane sugar
4 eggs
2 cups milk (2% or whole)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon

Preheat oven at 400 degrees with butter in 9x12 baking dish (deeper is better).

Beat eggs in large mixing bowl and mix in flour, sugar and salt.

Remove dish from oven and make sure bottom of pan is coated with melted butter. Pour excess into mixture and stir in milk until there is a smooth consistency.

Pour mixture into baking dish with spatula and sprinkle cinnamon over the top.

Bake for 30 minutes or until sides rise and top is slightly browned.

Let cool for 30 minutes and cut to desired serving size. Top with maple syrup for extra flavor, just like traditional pancakes.

Can also eat cold!

Last edited:

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Not to leave meat out in the cold -

Sirloin at Black Rock Grill. Cook the hunk of meat yourself on a 755 degree slab of “volcano rock” and sauce/season it up as much as you like. It’s the best bang for the buck steak I’ve had. So tender n juicy.
I've eaten at a similar place. Good food, unique experience for sure. They didn't tell my friend not to put sauce on the rock though, which caused a minor stir.

For my end:

rouladen2-600-2020.jpg
German Rouladen. The pickles throw people sometimes, and the skill of the cook and individual choices like the type of mustard and brand of pickle has a huge impact on the flavour, but its always a rich fantastic meal.

EasyPerogiRecipe.jpg

If you want to step away from extremely rich food, there's always perogies, courtesy of grandma (grandma was not Melissa K Norris, but her cooking predated digital cameras). Fun fact, her eyes were really going at the end there, but she still insisted on doing a full run including dessert perogi. Nothing like thinking you're gonna bite into cottage cheese and sour creme only to get sour creme and homemade jam.

1654393908887.png

And then finally, literally all Italian baking, but if I had to choose I would always take Rum Baba. The first time I got it I was surprised by how soaked the pastry is, but its still good if messy.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Today we had homemade porc gyros with mint-lime tzaziki and some french fries for dinner. Kind of like this

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I don't really take pics of food and stuff so here's a pic off Google maps of a tenderloin sandwich at 6th Street Dive in Lafayette, Indiana. When I have to travel there for work, I always hit up this place because I can't get anything like this where I live. Basically all of central Indiana, most restaurants have tenderloin sandwiches on the menu, even like a breakfast place that closes at 3pm has it on the menu.

1654440314734.png

---

Also, living in Chicagoland, Aurellio's pizza is the best pizza easily. The cheese blend and sweet sauce is perfection.

1654440488654.png

1654440747155.png

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
There are a few foods I will never refuse. If you're making/getting it, don't even ask me; just drop it in front of my face and watch the ensuing carnage as I try to avoid chewing through the fork and/or my own fingers in my lust for deliciousness.

Chicken Piccata. My girlfriend introduced me to it a few years ago, and now I can't even see it without wanting it. The lemons and capers, ugh; I know what we're eating tonight.

1654531725789.png

A Jersey Mike's #13 Classic Italian Sub, Mike's Way, add pickles. If you're brining me one of these, best act like your feeding a lion and just toss it to me from a safe distance, because it's going to be violent.

1654531888152.png

Pad woon sen, Thai glass noodles, spicy. I LOVE glass noodles, and would eat them everyday without regret or complaint. Something about the texture, delicate, yet hearty; I can't get enough of it in my mouth at once (that's what she said...)

1654532068996.png

Oh, and French fries from anywhere at any time. I'd post a picture, but if you don't know what French fries look like, crawl back under your rock and die alone.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
There are a few foods I will never refuse. If you're making/getting it, don't even ask me; just drop it in front of my face and watch the ensuing carnage as I try to avoid chewing through the fork and/or my own fingers in my lust for deliciousness.

Chicken Piccata. My girlfriend introduced me to it a few years ago, and now I can't even see it without wanting it. The lemons and capers, ugh; I know what we're eating tonight.

View attachment 6317

A Jersey Mike's #13 Classic Italian Sub, Mike's Way, add pickles. If you're brining me one of these, best act like your feeding a lion and just toss it to me from a safe distance, because it's going to be violent.

View attachment 6318

Pad woon sen, Thai glass noodles, spicy. I LOVE glass noodles, and would eat them everyday without regret or complaint. Something about the texture, delicate, yet hearty; I can't get enough of it in my mouth at once (that's what she said...)

View attachment 6319

Oh, and French fries from anywhere at any time. I'd post a picture, but if you don't know what French fries look like, crawl back under your rock and die alone.
Speaking of sub sandwiches, there’s a place called Firehouse Subs that’s known for steam cooking their meats. They also make a mean Jamaican Jerk Turkey sub that is delectable for fast food type stuff, especially with some hot sauce slathered on top.
1654689422461.jpeg
They also used to have a King’s Hawaiian pulled pork sandwich too that I would get at least once a week, but it was a seasonal thing and sadly I haven’t seen it return for a few years.

For snacking, I recently tried some of these, and I might splurge for a five pound bag next time. Don’t think my gut would like me much though.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Speaking of sub sandwiches, there’s a place called Firehouse Subs that’s known for steam cooking their meats. They also make a mean Jamaican Jerk Turkey sub that is delectable for fast food type stuff, especially with some hot sauce slathered on top.
View attachment 6323
They also used to have a King’s Hawaiian pulled pork sandwich too that I would get at least once a week, but it was a seasonal thing and sadly I haven’t seen it return for a few years.

For snacking, I recently tried some of these, and I might splurge for a five pound bag next time.
I've had Firehouse before; I wasn't really impressed. Seemed like it was mostly bread. Maybe the franchise near me (which has since closed) just wasn't good at representing their brand? I didn't hate it, but the whole time I was eating it, I was thinking of Jersey Mike's. Also, while not entirely averse to them, I'm not the biggest fan of hot subs; I like them to be cold, crisp, and dense with the bread doing little more than holding the ingredients together. Jersey Mike's are perfect in that regard.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Gin martinis are a food, right?
1654695362923.png

Though I do it better myself at home with home made charcuterie.

1654695484639.png

You can buy these at "Sams" club reasonably innexpensive as it is one of those discount shopping clubs.
1654695605615.png

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I've had Firehouse before; I wasn't really impressed. Seemed like it was mostly bread. Maybe the franchise near me (which has since closed) just wasn't good at representing their brand? I didn't hate it, but the whole time I was eating it, I was thinking of Jersey Mike's. Also, while not entirely averse to them, I'm not the biggest fan of hot subs; I like them to be cold, crisp, and dense with the bread doing little more than holding the ingredients together. Jersey Mike's are perfect in that regard.
I’ve had Jersey Mikes before a few times too. Was good but that might be the big difference is my preference for hot subs with melted cheese, etc. They disappear from my wrapper so quickly. Jersey Mikes from what I’ve had goes too heavy on shredded lettuce too, kinda like JJ’s.

Also I must add, somewhat ironically there used to be a local sandwich shop called New York Mikes (he was a native and later wound up in MI), and that place was fucking amazing. My god, I don’t care if their sandwiches cost double anywhere else (they didn’t, not quite, but even if so…). Everything was made from scratch and just induced Pavlov’s dog syndrome just smelling it.

Sadly he wasn’t around more than a year, maybe two. Some big shitty chain restaurant got built pretty much a stone’s throw away that didn’t help matters, and it sounded like he also had personal shit to deal with, divorce or something. I’ll never forget that place though.

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
With Firehouse it does seem to be which franchise you are visiting. The one in my town, is awful. The worst subs in town, and the most expensive. Although I do like their hot sauce selection. We just got our first Jersey Mikes... and so far it is great. Although restaurants here seem to open great and then after building a customer base the quality declines, so we'll see how they hold up. The best established here is a regional chain called City Bites. It only has locations in Kansas and Oklahoma. It is a little expensive, but they have a sun-dried tomato bread that is fantastic and they have a really unique feature in the in-restaurant bathrooms. I'll have to go there and take a picture, but they have at least one bathroom stall in the men's and women's bathrooms that shares a "wall" with the main seating area... and it is made of one-way glass. While taking a dump, you can see the whole seating area... it is a bizarre experience. Its like you are pooping right out in the open for everyone to watch... but no one seems to pay any attention. Good sammiches there, something called a fleetwood (italian), or the southwest turkey or the california club.
CaliforniaClub-7Q6A1827.jpg
SouthwestTurkey-7Q6A1854.jpg

Reactions: Xprimentyl

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yessir, I believe it's called a Gibson, and is my preferred martini as well.
If it uses a mini onion as a garnish.
I use lemon twist, hold the vermouth, stirred.
EDIT: Got that due to some places, if you get a little lemon twist will fill to the brim. Olives, onions.... they take up room!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If it uses a mini onion as a garnish.
I use lemon twist, hold the vermouth, stirred.
EDIT: Got that due to some places, if you get a little lemon twist will fill to the brim. Olives, onions.... they take up room!
Yep, that's the best way. I don't mind the vermouth, though the onions are a must. Fun fact, whenever we go to our local pub with friends, and my girlfriend orders a martini or I order a Gibson, our friends call it an "oh hell" and an "oh shit" respectively, because our best decision-making usually ensues.

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
With Firehouse it does seem to be which franchise you are visiting. The one in my town, is awful. The worst subs in town, and the most expensive. Although I do like their hot sauce selection. We just got our first Jersey Mikes... and so far it is great. Although restaurants here seem to open great and then after building a customer base the quality declines, so we'll see how they hold up. The best established here is a regional chain called City Bites. It only has locations in Kansas and Oklahoma. It is a little expensive, but they have a sun-dried tomato bread that is fantastic and they have a really unique feature in the in-restaurant bathrooms. I'll have to go there and take a picture, but they have at least one bathroom stall in the men's and women's bathrooms that shares a "wall" with the main seating area... and it is made of one-way glass. While taking a dump, you can see the whole seating area... it is a bizarre experience. Its like you are pooping right out in the open for everyone to watch... but no one seems to pay any attention. Good sammiches there, something called a fleetwood (italian), or the southwest turkey or the california club.
View attachment 6329
View attachment 6330
Those subs look... AMAZING. I wonder what GrubHub or DoorDash would charge for a delivery to north Texas.

And agreed, some restaurants seem to have a curse upon them. There's a spot near our home that has been no fewer than 4 restaurants in 6 years. We patronized them all venturing out and trying new things, and were never exceptionally disappointed, but inevitably, they'd shut the doors and await the next "victim." Firehouse Subs was one of said victims.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I'm a one pan meal kind of guy. Vegetable stir frys, stews, curries etc. I got myself a rice cooker a couple of years ago, best kitchen implement I ever bought. Used to make a great egg&veg stir fry with gochujang korean chilli paste but the local supermarket doesn't stock it anymore.
That is a 50/50 gin and tonic with the first one although now I'm more of a stout/ale drinker again as I can rip through spirits far too quickly. My girlfriend tends to cook more traditional english/irish meat and veg in an attempt to get me to eat more meat.

IMG_20200501_193040183.jpg

IMG_20200526_140315283_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm a one pan meal kind of guy. Vegetable stir frys, stews, curries etc. I got myself a rice cooker a couple of years ago, best kitchen implement I ever bought. Used to make a great egg&veg stir fry with gochujang korean chilli paste but the local supermarket doesn't stock it anymore.
That is a 50/50 gin and tonic with the first one although now I'm more of a stout/ale drinker again as I can rip through spirits far too quickly. My girlfriend tends to cook more traditional english/irish meat and veg in an attempt to get me to eat more meat.

View attachment 6332

View attachment 6331
Hell yeah. Those pictures look fucking incredible. I never thought about it before, but I'm a massive fan of consolidated meals over a plate of segregated portions. it all gets masticated, goes to the same place, and yields the same result; just gimme a bowl of something well-seasoned, sauced, and delicious.

I guess I can add rice to my list of food fetishes (Hispanic side of me.) Almost everything on a bed of rice is delicious. I think I ate a human toe once because it was on a bed of rice; spat out the toenail, but cleaned my plate.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

View attachment 6332

View attachment 6331
Interesting:
I have a rice cooker. I think all it does is cook rice. Add water and rice, push down on a lever to start cooking, it can sense when the rice is done (brown rice takes about double the time of white but the thing knows how long to cook each) and the lever springs back to "keep warm". Would you have a picture or link to what you are using to cook? Mine: 1654716906138.png

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Interesting:
I have a rice cooker. I think all it does is cook rice. Add water and rice, push down on a lever to start cooking, it can sense when the rice is done (brown rice takes about double the time of white but the thing knows how long to cook each) and the lever springs back to "keep warm". Would you have a picture or link to what you are using to cook?
Ah, sorry, I probably didn't make that quite clear. The stew/stir fry/whatever would be made in a large wok or a large stew pot. Then I would add rice, noodles, bulgar wheat or whatever, usually cooked spearately then added to the wok, so I suppose technically it would be 2 pots, it just all ends up in one for the final stretch.

On the above I was trying to look a bit fancy so I put it on a bed of rice rather than just mixing it all together like the troglodyte I am. Rice cookers can be used to steam veg but doing it at the same time as cooking rice usually resuls in a load of vegetable juice dripping down into your rice. Which may be a bonus.

Hell yeah. Those pictures look fucking incredible. I never thought about it before, but I'm a massive fan of consolidated meals over a plate of segregated portions. it all gets masticated, goes to the same place, and yields the same result; just gimme a bowl of something well-seasoned, sauced, and delicious.

I guess I can add rice to my list of food fetishes (Hispanic side of me.) Almost everything on a bed of rice is delicious. I think I ate a human toe once because it was on a bed of rice; spat out the toenail, but cleaned my plate.
Trying to get all the sepearate bits together at the right time is just too complicated. I always end up over/under cooking or something is cold. Much simpler to cook it all togtehr. Less washing up too.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Interesting:
I have a rice cooker. I think all it does is cook rice. Add water and rice, push down on a lever to start cooking, it can sense when the rice is done (brown rice takes about double the time of white but the thing knows how long to cook each) and the lever springs back to "keep warm". Would you have a picture or link to what you are using to cook? Mine: View attachment 6333
We've got one similar, but a bit older... 20 YEARS older. My gf got it in the early 2000s from an Asian market, and has sworn by it since. For as easy a process as it is, it's actually pretty versatile. We've found using chicken, beef or vegetable stock instead of water and a few seasonings makes plain jasmine rice into a quick, easy side. We've also done boxed rice with flavored ingredients like dirty rice or jambalaya; just ignore the instructions on the box, toss in the rice and flavor packet, eyeball the water level, and boom. This is probably the most used appliance in our house; how it hasn't shit the bed yet is beyond me, but when it does, there will probably be tears, and I'm not kidding; this thing is like a family pet to her.

Reactions: gorfias