The Four Stages of Creative Sandbox Gaming

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
It's more like reading a short article than a comic, but as long as that's not the typical amount? Still, couldn't help but be reminded of a certain Zero Punctuation episode.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Is... is this new content?

On the Escapist?

That was actually worth clicking on?

My God. I may have to take a little nap to recover from this excitement.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Zhukov said:

On the Escapist?

Well when about a third of the initial response to the comic is as warm a welcome as Escapist gives, is it any wonder new artists and content makers are flooding to the site?

Welcome to the Escapist Full Frontal Nerdity! We're Sorry! (I am at least)

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:
Zhukov said:

On the Escapist?

Well when about a third of the initial response to the comic is as warm a welcome as Escapist gives, is it any wonder new artists and content makers are flooding to the site?

Ehh, this is positively gushing compared to the reception Jim originally received when he started the Jimquisition on The Escapist. (Though to be fair, the first few episodes were rather terrible).

Dont worry Mr. Williams, this is as friendly as we get, we're a curmudgeonly bunch. Just stay out of the Basement.

And after googling that wyvern, I've concluded that it's fucking awesome. I've also seen someone that replicated a Starcraft siege tank, which could transform from regular tank to siege mode. And I've gone on a similar spirit journey myself, and come to the same conclusion on my ability to build these things.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:
Zhukov said:

On the Escapist?

In my experience, the warmth of the reception is roughly proportional to the quality of the content.

For comparison, here is the comments thread for the first episode of 'Reel Phyics' [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.396348-Reel-Physics-The-A-Team-Tank-Flying]. Have a read.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:
Zhukov said:

On the Escapist?

Why should people thank them for something they didn't care for?

OT: Honestly, I can't really say anything too new about this. For me, it was really unfunny. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be funny though. Maybe it's just them going "hey look, you can relate to this!" Fine, I guess... Even still, way too wordy. I bet you they could have gotten their message across without a single word (besides the title to set it up) and it would have been way more effective.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
RedDeadFred said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
Zhukov said:

On the Escapist?

OT: Honestly, I can't really say anything too new about this. For me, it was really unfunny. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be funny though. Maybe it's just them going "hey look, you can relate to this!" Fine, I guess... Even still, way too wordy. I bet you they could have gotten their message across without a single word (besides the title to set it up) and it would have been way more effective.
Well I know this flies in the face of all internet logic, but why take time out of your day to tell someone you didn't like their comic, or better yet tell them how they should do it? Escapist will keep publishing this known, established, and respected artist with an already existing fanbase for as long as he's willing, they're paying, and it's still drawing hits.

All you're doing is keeping him around (Thanks btw, I enjoyed the comic) and making yourself look very judgmental, which I was just stating annoys me because it reflects the general attitude of the escapist community as of late.

The way some people act on these forums lately you'd think the site changed it's name to the Elitist

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:
RedDeadFred said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
Zhukov said:

On the Escapist?

Well I know this flies in the face of all internet logic, but why take time out of your day to tell someone you didn't like their comic, or better yet tell them how they should do it? Escapist will keep publishing this known, established, and respected artist with an already existing fanbase for as long as he's willing, they're paying, and it's still drawing hits.

All you're doing is keeping him around (Thanks btw, I enjoyed the comic) and making yourself look very judgmental, which I was just stating annoys me because it reflects the general attitude of the escapist community as of late.

The way some people act on these forums lately you'd think the site changed it's name to the Elitist
Yes, how dare we constructively criticize something you like! No one is saying anything along the lines of "ugh that really sucked please stop", people are explaining their issues in the hopes that it gets better. It kind of baffles me that you don't get that. I'm sorry, but I actually really like this site so I'm going to voice my concerns about the content if I have them.

Also, for most people in the thread, it seems like this was the first time they'd ever seen one of these comics. It's not like we're going "oh ya, there's a comic maker I don't like, I think I'll go and complain about him". Maybe those people will read a few more to see if the content changes or to see if this comic wasn't indicative of the rest of their work. I know I'm willing to give them a couple more chances before ignoring them.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
I'm glad you have your stuff posted here now Aaron! I actually have a reason to come to this sight other than Shamus now. :)