The Fourth of July

Ardus_Virgo

Aug 11, 2008
thest3alth said:
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
That is my favorite quote to throw at people who like the patriot act. You get a +1 Longsword.

Mar 17, 2009
ReincarnatedFTP said:
I have great difficulty reconciling concepts such as the Patriot act, seatbelt legislation, wall street bailouts, RIAA's perversion of US copyright law and the entire War on Drugs with the philosophies of the Founding Fathers.
You mean the same Founding Fathers that owned slaves and stole their land from the Native Americans after massacreing them? Yeah, sorry but I don't see any dissonance of values.

RufusMcLaser

Mar 27, 2008
I encourage all of you to study up on what a real authoritarian/totalitarian society is like (you know, Stalin's USSR, Hitler's Germany, North Korea, that sort of thing) and then come back to discuss this. The idea that the U.S. is some nascent police state still makes me laugh.

Yes, I oppose RIAA, the Nanny State, and all the rest of it too. Just keep some perspective.

HonorableChairman

Jan 23, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Yes, there is.
I don't buy in to the whole "AMURKA RULZ" bullshit that they keep trying to feed me at school, on the news, etc.

But more than that, I find the entire concept distasteful.
Loyalty to a piece of land and a few bits of paper stating what you can and cannot do?
Why?
Exactly. Excessive patriotism is bad. But, to use an example, you can't drive a Honda if you work for Ford. And, to be honest, I don't know why people are always going on about schools forcing propaganda on us. I never got any of that. Hell, my eighth grade US history teacher pointed out slants in our textbook. Maybe I'm just lucky?

But, hey, if you find solace in thinking your country is bad, that's your thing.
RufusMcLaser said:
I encourage all of you to study up on what a real authoritarian/totalitarian society is like (you know, Stalin's USSR, Hitler's Germany, North Korea, that sort of thing) and then come back to discuss this. The idea that the U.S. is some nascent police state still makes me laugh.

Yes, I oppose RIAA, the Nanny State, and all the rest of it too. Just keep some perspective.
Probably the best post in this topic so far.