Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Petromir said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Petromir said:
Games with Gold allows you to play even with a lapsed sub, don't think PS+ does? Both better than this either way.
not entirely true. not anymore. the 360 iteration didn't require an active gold sub, but when the X1 came out, that policy changed, and you can no longer play the free games without an active sub. this doesn't retroactively apply to 360 titles, and as far as i know, the 360 GWG still don't require gold, though i feel like i heard that changed for the worse as well recently.
Not my experience, didn't lose access to my xbox one gwg games when my sub lapsed in the autumn.
Does anyone else with a Gold sub have your One set as their Home console? If so then that is why you can still play the GwG titles you downloaded.

Otherwise marty is right, if your subscription lapses you can't play the One GwG. http://www.xbox.com/live/games-with-gold scroll down to the bottom and you find this
active Gold membership required to play downloaded Xbox One games.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
votemarvel said:
Petromir said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Petromir said:
Games with Gold allows you to play even with a lapsed sub, don't think PS+ does? Both better than this either way.
not entirely true. not anymore. the 360 iteration didn't require an active gold sub, but when the X1 came out, that policy changed, and you can no longer play the free games without an active sub. this doesn't retroactively apply to 360 titles, and as far as i know, the 360 GWG still don't require gold, though i feel like i heard that changed for the worse as well recently.
Not my experience, didn't lose access to my xbox one gwg games when my sub lapsed in the autumn.
Does anyone else with a Gold sub have your One set as their Home console? If so then that is why you can still play the GwG titles you downloaded.

Otherwise marty is right, if your subscription lapses you can't play the One GwG. http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/games-with-gold scroll down to the bottom and you find this
active Gold membership required to play downloaded Xbox One games.
Not till after the sub was reactivated.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Petromir said:
Not till after the sub was reactivated.
Then congratulations, you encountered a glitch in Xbox Live, as even Microsoft admit you shouldn't be able to play them without a active Live subscription.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
The old mummies that lord over Nintendo will never get with the times, it seems. They are stuck in the 80s. It's a miracle Nintendo is still solvent but that despite the mummies not because of them. The only thing that saves N is their design teams.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
And they want $70 for a controller ... HAHAHAHA!

Ask for so much. Gives so little.

Good job Nintendo. Good job.

PS: Copyright strike Youtubers more too. I'm sure that is doing wonders for your reputation.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I don't get this. Nintendo comes up with a new console idea and instead of learning from the Wii U they seem absolutely dead set to repeat it? In a world where the PS4 and Xbox One are now the "just good enough" tech for gameplay and the PC is now the higher end sibling, there is no room for a lower tier of console anymore. Third party developers aren't going to develop for a console that can't keep up with the baselines set by the PS4 and Xbox One, and Nintendo can't expect to support a home console on a bunch of inbred games. I think that Zelda Breath of the Wild looks to be an amazing game, but you can't justify 300+ usd for a single Zelda game and the promise of having to repurchase your entire game lineup from a previous generation.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
And I'm sure that each and every one one of the free games we will be allowed to 'borrow' will always be quality titles... I'm sorry, I have as much nostalgia for the 16-bit days as anyone else, but there were some really shitty games out there back in the day. And to take them back at the end of the month? I really can't think of any justifiable reason that this should be acceptable.

It's so weird. Nintendo seems to exists in their own little world where they don't see the competition and therefore feel no need to compete with them.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
I think this is a case of misinterpretation, as a newer article on MyNintendoNews is now saying that you get to keep them for as long as you're subscribed. Still not good, I imagine that I could drop Xbox Live Gold and I'd get to keep Dark Souls, but better than losing the game at the end of the month.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Petromir said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Petromir said:

"On Xbox One, you?ll no longer be able to access your Games with Gold titles if you cancel your subscription. However, if you decide to renew your subscription at any time, you?ll be able to access and play your previously redeemed Games with Gold titles again.

On Xbox 360, any Games with Gold titles that you redeem as an Xbox Live Gold member are yours to keep, regardless of whether you continue your subscription."

from https://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/xbox-live-membership/games-with-gold-faq