The French open....what the hell is going on?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
This might be a strange thing to ask and there must be something big going on but what the hell is happening right now in the Nadal/Ferrer match?

There are loud whistles of protests and someone just threw a flaming rag onto the court...it's like seeing a soccer game :p (Sorry, had to get the cheap shot in :D)

So is anyone watching this going on? Anyone know what might be happening here?

EDIT: Someone now just ran onto the court with a flare.

EDIT 2: Eh...whatever was going on seems to have been squished by security. No incidents since that weird 5 minute block.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Probably the most excitement the sport of tennis has witnessed in its entire history.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Seriously??
I might start watching Tennis soon :p

Give me an update Tippy when they find out the reason!

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
And thus the sport of EXTREME! Tennis was born. But jokes aside, just did a quick google search, the fellow with the flare is an anti same-sex marriage protester. As are the rest of the troublemakers. Interesting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57588392/protesters-disrupt-french-open-final/

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Guffe said:
Seriously??

From all the sources I could find, Dead Century above has it right. It seems that twelve people thought that a tennis match with a shit ton of security was the best spot to complain about same-sex marriage being allowed in France.

From reports, it sounds like this kind of stuff has been happening all tournament but this is the first time it's really been successful by the protesters.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Guffe said:
Seriously??

From all the sources I could find, Dead Century above has it right. It seems that twelve people thought that a tennis match with a shit ton of security was the best spot to complain about same-sex marriage being allowed in France.

From reports, it sounds like this kind of stuff has been happening all tournament but this is the first time it's really been successful by the protesters.
Well...
What the hell does Tennis have to do with that -.-
Shouldn't they be doing something somewhere that makes sense and actually has a connection with homosexuality?
I mean sure they get on telly like this but I doubt it will be effective with all the viewers being 40+ males sitting at home in white socks and shorts going "you mad hooligans destroyin' our sport!"

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Wadders said:
Probably the most excitement the sport of tennis has witnessed in its entire history.
Clearly you missed Isner vs Mahut in 2010 at Wimbledon. 8-hour match.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
My point entirely.

How anyone could keep interest in any match of any sport, never mind tennis, that went on for 8 hours is beyond me haha.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Wadders said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
My point entirely.

How anyone could keep interest in any match of any sport, never mind tennis, that went on for 8 hours is beyond me haha.
Except I wasn't kidding. Isner/Mahut was exciting because the two fought the hell out of each other and came constantly within a hair's breadth of beating each other before the trailing player rallied. One of the greatest incidents of dark horsing ever considering nobody gave a shit about who was on Center Court by the time those two resumed play on day 2 (of 3).

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
Oh, I can just about imagine the excitement.

*pop* (__>) ....
.... (__>) *pop*
*pop* (__>) ....
.... (__>) *pop*
*pop* (__>) ....
.... (__>) *pop*

Yes I'm certain the audience soon found themselves in a situation where they had paid for the seat, but only needed the edge.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
My point entirely.

Except I wasn't kidding. Isner/Mahut was exciting because the two fought the hell out of each other and came constantly within a hair's breadth of beating each other before the trailing player rallied. One of the greatest incidents of dark horsing ever considering nobody gave a shit about who was on Center Court by the time those two resumed play on day 2 (of 3).
I know. It could be the most hair raising tennis ever played but by 3 hours I'd have had enough, never mind 8.

I dunno, I just prefer my sports to have set times. If football (soccer) games had the capacity to go on for hours and hours, then I doubt I'd be a football fan. I just can't keep interest that long. Fair play to the fans who can though.
KeyMaster45 said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
Oh, I can just about imagine the excitement.

*pop* (__>) ....
.... (__>) *pop*
*pop* (__>) ....
.... (__>) *pop*
*pop* (__>) ....
.... (__>) *pop*

Yes I'm certain the audience soon found themselves in a situation where they had paid for the seat, but only needed the edge.
*chuckles*

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Wadders said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
My point entirely.

I thought the same thing at first, but then remembered I've watched Snooker matches that lasted longer than 8 hours on the edge of my seat. God, the sleepless nights. So many ruined exams, because studying went out the fucking window.

Still, as someone who played tennis for 13 years, it is a boring as fuck sport to watch. I think it's partially down to the lack of dynamic camera-work.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
My point entirely.

That match was amazing. I kept checking back on it thinking "they can't still be going - one of them has got to collapse at some point".

I'm not even a tennis fan!

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
Or The Rosol taking on Nadal at Wimbledon last year.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
The French government legalized same-sex marriage and not everybody is too happy about it. Could be worse then a burning rag, in some countries they would burn down the entire complex just to prove their point.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
MetalMagpie said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Wadders said:
My point entirely.

That match was amazing. I kept checking back on it thinking "they can't still be going - one of them has got to collapse at some point".

I'm not even a tennis fan!
Nor am I. I watched it in the same way.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, and on Britain's got talent some random violent violinist lady threw eggs at the jurors... well, mainly at Simon Cowell, it seems.

Don't mind the silly people, just ignore them. After all, it's not what people buy tickets for or turn their TV sets on, I gather.

Anyone who brings a flare to whatever event and lights it amidst an unsuspecting audience should be tried for endangering people and being an annoying prick.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Guffe said:
tippy2k2 said:
Guffe said:
Seriously??

Well...
Shouldn't they be doing something somewhere that makes sense and actually has a connection with homosexuality?
I mean sure they get on telly like this but I doubt it will be effective with all the viewers being 40+ males sitting at home in white socks and shorts going "you mad hooligans destroyin' our sport!"
It's less of an issue against Tennis and more of mean to get known. Seriously, other than the french open and the big F1 race, what else is a good portion of humanity watching before the season finale of game of thrones?

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
That's not extreme enough as Prince Of Tennis!

And i just lost some will to live by reading the comments on the article.

Seriously France, i thought you were better than to bash equal rights legislation...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
Guffe said:
tippy2k2 said:
Guffe said:
Seriously??

Well...
It's less of an issue against Tennis and more of mean to get known. Seriously, other than the french open and the big F1 race, what else is a good portion of humanity watching before the season finale of game of thrones?
I'd love to see somoeone streak the finale of GoT xD
Well I guess even more people would watch if they'd burn down some very known building??
Just a thought :p