The fun facts thread.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Stepan Company is the only company allowed to import coca leafs and produce cocaine in the United States

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Fun Fact: Many people believe that in a nuclear holocaust, that cockroaches would be the only thing to survive. Those people are wrong.

Without humans, cockroaches have no way to survive. They depend on our housing to provide warmth for them, and they eat our garbage.

No humans means no place for the roaches to live, and no food for them to eat.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
Gargoyles aren't decorative statues, well, not JUST. Gargoyles are decorative water-spouts, anything thats just a statue is called a Grotesque.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Azaradel said:
It's called a Tarantula Hawk

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Tarantula_hawk.JPG/800px-Tarantula_hawk.JPG

Also, it's sting is considered to be one of the most excruciatingly painful insect stings in the world.

Wow, what is it with me and insects today?

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
Azaradel said:
It's called a Tarantula Hawk

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Tarantula_hawk.JPG/800px-Tarantula_hawk.JPG

Also, it's sting is considered to be one of the most excruciatingly painful insect stings in the world.

Wow, what is it with me and insects today?
At the time of me writing this, your reply is the very last thing in this thread, which I read from page one, post one.

...So thank you for that awesome ending picture :p.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
there was only one man who was killed in WW2 by an arrow. it was shot by jack churchill, also known as mad jack churchill.

As a bonus fact jack churchill also carried a claymore into battle and said that anyone who did not have a sword was not ready for battle.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
MrRetroSpectacles said:
In Alaska, it is also illegal to push a moose out of a moving plane.
Haha! I don't think I even want to know the story behind that one. :p

Hmm... useless facts I know.

Legos were originally wooden toys (this part I already knew). "Lego" is from a Danish phrase, "leg godt", that means, "play well" (saw this on wiki).

Toyota originally made automatic looms instead of cars.

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
xMP44x said:
The Toyota car company had a tradition of using different versions of the word 'crown' for their automobiles. For example, the Toyota Corona's name was derived from the Latin word for crown. The Camry's name came from an anglicized pronunciation of the Japanese word for crown.

The Subaru car company logo depicts the Pleiades star cluster.

The Peugeot 1007 cannot be called the 'one-double-oh-seven', as this violates the copyright of the James Bond franchise.

The Ford Pinto was infamous for its design flaw, where damage to the rear of the vehicle could cause it to go up in flames. It was suggested that Ford were aware of the flaw, but deemed it more financially effective to just let the deaths continue.

Ford brought their Sierra to the United States under the name of the 'Merkur Scorpio'.

The Ford GT40 was designed purely to spite the Ferrari Le Mans race team, after the company backed out of an acquisition deal in the 1960s.
and the GT40 won 4 years in a row, I believe '64-'68? or maybe '60-'64

Mr Box

Jul 8, 2011
Lemons contain more sugar than apples.
Apples can keep you awake more effectively than coffee.

In the event of a nuclear doomsday scenario jellyfish would have the best chance of surviving.
This is because there is a type of fresh water jellyfish that creates its own food by growing a type of algea on itself. Jellyfish can also suvive for long periods of time in low oxygen environments.

caselj01

Jun 8, 2010
Due to its rotation, the earth is not perfectly spherical, instead it bulges out at the equator. Furthermore, since the force due to gravity decreases the further away from the earths centre of mass you are, this means that an object will weigh about o.6% more at the north/south pole than it will at the equator (If my calculations are correct).

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
in the colony of Massachusettes if a child under the age of 16 was found to be outside the control of their parents, and they were put to death. I believe the law was set in 1640 something.

ooo i got another.

On D-Day as the US made landfall, they came across three Korean's in German Uniforms on the beach. After taking them prisoner, a translator was found. As it turned out, they had been captured by the Japanese earlier in the war, and conscripted into the Japanese Army. Following a battle with Russia, they were AGAIN captured and conscripted, this time into the Red Army. Another battle took place, and again they were captured and conscripted, this time into the German Army. Somehow they had ended up half a world away in three different armies, all without being able to speak ANY of the languages of the armies they ended up in.

gravitii

Jun 22, 2010
Dorian6 said:
Karlosdj86 said:
Thomas Edison invented the word hello specifically to give us something to say when we answered the telephone. "hello" is actually a mispronunciation of the word Haloo which is basically the hunting version of Fore! in golf (basically means get your head down... unpleasantness incoming!)
And by "invented" you mean "stole the idea from someone smarter and less wealthy than himself."

OP: Thomas Edison did not actually invent the light bulb. Heinrich Goebel was likely the person who actually invented it, back in 1854. He tried selling it to Edison, who saw no practical use in Goebel's invention and refused. Shortly thereafter, Goebel died and, Edison bought the patent, the one he saw no merit in, from Goebel's impoverished widow at a fraction of what it was worth.

after Goebel, and a year before Edison "invented" his light bulb, Joseph Wilson Swan developed and patented a working light bulb. So he made Swan a partner, forming the Ediswan United Company and effectively buying Swan and his patent.

Soon enough, Edison bought out Swan completely, thus leaving all records of the light bulb under the care of the Edison Company. Sure, Swan had money, but since he bought all the records, Edison could take sole credit for the light bulb. So, the majority of Edison's inventions were actually created by inventors he's either stepped on, bullied, exploited or bought out to his name, but what do they say about Edison in the textbooks? Father of the goddamn light bulb.
Well he didn't win it all. Didn't his company suffer major losses to Tesla's over the invention of DC or something?

LeKiller

Oct 6, 2009
Before the Beatles rose to fame they hung out a pub every now and then, this pub had a jazz quartet that always played there, one of the members was Toots Thielemans, a Belgian jazz artist. Thielemans played the guitar, harmonica, and he whistled professionally... PROFESSIONALLY. John Lennon was so impressed by the guy that the first guitar he bought was the same model and make as that of Thielemans',and of course a harmonica. Thielemans also worked with Quincy Jones and worked with several other artists including Barry White.
The Barry White song he played in was 'At the end of the day'
My personal favorites are 'Velas', and a his own personal composition 'Bluesette'.

Other fun fact, John Brown caused the Civil War, John Wilkes Booth saw his hanging, Victor Hugo predicted the secession of the two sides, and Robert E Lee lead the army that arrested him.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Segadroid said:
Bananas aren't actually a fruit, but a herb.
Wrong. The banana plant is a herbaceous plant, but the banana fruit itself is still a fruit. It's the fruit of a herb, if you like.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Segadroid said:
Chuck Norris is Christian and does not believe in human evolution.
Well obviously, since there is no such thing as evolution.

[sub]Only animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.[/sub]

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Dark Knifer said:
Black holes are things of infinite density and no volume.
Black holes are supermassive stars that collapse under their own mass, and instead of going supernova (or after or during, they really dgaf) they become ridiculously dense stars.
Scientists want to say that there is a point where black holes explode again, and redistribute all that material, but they cannot say for sure.

Neutron stars are similar to black holes, because instead of blowing up at the end of their lives, the just collapse upon themselves, creating an ultra dense body with ridiculous gravity. The biggest difference, is that neutron stars don't suck up everything around them like black holes do.

In the interest of mathematics, it is impossible for matter to travel faster than the speed of light. Only pure energy can travel as fast and faster than the speed of light.

Daft Punk is one of the only bands in the world to use 100% electronics, i.e. every instrument, vocal, and sound you hear on a Daft Punk song, is electronic.

The great-great grandfather of the Chris Martin, singer of Coldplay, is the inventor of Daylight Savings.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
Fun Fact: Many people believe that in a nuclear holocaust, that cockroaches would be the only thing to survive. Those people are wrong.

Without humans, cockroaches have no way to survive. They depend on our housing to provide warmth for them, and they eat our garbage.

No humans means no place for the roaches to live, and no food for them to eat.
There are cockroaches in nature you know, right?
Like... Cockroaches that live their entire existence away from human influence?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
The WWE games are made in Japan.

Switchblade1080 said:
Kana Ueda (Rachel Alucard) has a 360...
You made my day with that. And speaking of BlazBlue, Daisuke Ishiwatari was born in South Africa.