The Future of War and Conflict

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
I've been thinking about this a bit recently, and the Escapist is the only place I really go to for intellectual conversations, so here goes.

Is war, as we knew it, over? I don't want to say all war, as there will still be insurgencies and civil wars in less than stable states, but are the great wars of major powers directly attacking each other over? Will there be no more World War I or II? No more Punic Wars? No more 100 Year Wars?

Nowadays, with such an incredibly educated populous as opposed to even 100 years ago, and a much greater value of life, will all major conflict be regulated to the board rooms and halls of parliament? With the successful unification of nations, where the federal or equivalent government really does have all the power, will major and sweeping changes mainly be done with a stroke of a pen? Or are we just setting ourselves up for another inevitable World War I with non-hostile, yet clear demarcations of East and West? Is the entire world's quest for military superiority, especially in the US and China, just exacerbating things further? What does the Escapist think of these things?

I want to be clear, I'm not remaking the mistake of the 90's that all ideological battles and similar types of war are over, I'm just asking if they will all now be mainly regulated to politics as opposed to battlefields.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
This is being discussed over in religion and politics right here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.863077-Is-war-over